Need help finding a new headset ( old broke )
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Noxeal

New Head-Fier
Hello,
That's now 3 days my old Logitech G230 headset broke, and I would like to buy another one.
I've already bought the Sennheiser Game Zero, but I returned it, because it has literally no bass.
I want to use it for gaming ( all types of games ) and also listening music ( all kinds, mostly electro, pop, rock... , but no classic / jazz kind of stuff )
I know there's already a lot of threads like this, but I want an headset with good bass ( not like the game zero, where I couldn't hear/feel basses at all ).
I do still think that Sennheiser headsets are really good, since everyone around me says so ^^'.
So I would need recommendations : I don't know if the Logitech G230 was an opened or closed headset, because I don't really realise what is the difference between these two. Even tho I know that with an opened one you heard people and you don't with a closed one.
I also really don't like hearing myself talking like I was with the Game Zero.
I was thinking of the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, The Sennheiser HD 598SE/SR/CS or the Sennheiser HD 599. I've heard that the Beyerdynamic needed a soundcard/dac/amp ( I don't really know anything about this ), so what do you recommend me taking, to get the best sound out of this DT 990? I saw people talking about the E10K, that wasn't good enough for 250Ohms, and also talking about the SoundBlaster Z.
So, I would need some help choosing a headset, and my budget is at ~200€ ( I can go a bit higher if it's for really good quality, but please help, that's already 3 days I haven't stopped searching :c ).
Thanks,
Noxeal

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 38
Still needing help, really looking towards DT 990 Pro with Soundblaster Z or Fiio E10K, but don't forget it's for both gaming AND music. I saw people saying that this headset has nice basses, and that's exactly what I want, but if someone could help me I would be glad.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 38
Now i'm really lost, between the DT 990 Edition and the DT 990 Pro ( I've heard that DT 990 Pro will collapse under pressure and force your ears against the drivers, and also that the coiled cord was too heavy and would destroy the connections to the headset ).. And also I would need a good amp/dac. Still needing help ^^

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 38
Beyer DT990 is open back,so you will hear yourself. If you want isolation,look into the Beyer DT770 32 ohm version. You wont need an amp for it,and its closed back.
If you want a ton of bass,look into finding a used pair of the Taction Kanonns. They might be more than your budget,but the bass is insane,comes with a mic,and doesnt need an amp. I will say that its not fantastic for music,but for gaming,its very good for immersion value.

I have a 600 ohm DT990 thats over 20 years old and havent experienced any problems with it. However the 250 and 600 ohm versions def need an amp,the 32 ohm doesnt.

Another good gaming headphone is the Fidelio X1/X2. Wide staging,very good bass,no amp needed,but its open back.

Another is Audeze Mobious,which supposedly is good for both gaming and music,but I have no experience with it. Again above your budget,but might be able to find a used pair.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 38
Beyer DT990 is open back,so you will hear yourself. If you want isolation,look into the Beyer DT770 32 ohm version. You wont need an amp for it,and its closed back.
If you want a ton of bass,look into finding a used pair of the Taction Kanonns. They might be more than your budget,but the bass is insane,comes with a mic,and doesnt need an amp. I will say that its not fantastic for music,but for gaming,its very good for immersion value.

I have a 600 ohm DT990 thats over 20 years old and havent experienced any problems with it. However the 250 and 600 ohm versions def need an amp,the 32 ohm doesnt.

Another good gaming headphone is the Fidelio X1/X2. Wide staging,very good bass,no amp needed,but its open back.

Another is Audeze Mobious,which supposedly is good for both gaming and music,but I have no experience with it. Again above your budget,but might be able to find a used pair.

Thanks for your answer !
Have you experienced DT 990 Pro ( for the cable and the pressure ) ? And then how about the dac ? I will stick to the DT 990 or DT 990 Pro ( even if I hear myself, cuz I want to be able to hear people around me ^^ ) and I would like an amp / dac at ~100€, or a soundcard ( I don't know what's the best ). I also heard that it was a semi-open back, so will this headset be good if I have a mechanical keyboard ( Razer BlackWidow Ultimate ) ? And, by the way, is it also good for movies and animes watching ?
Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions, but I really want to get the perfect headset for me, so I can keep it a long time ^^

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 38
Any open back is going to allow your keyboard noise in,including the DT990. I do not have any experience with any other DT990 other than my vintage pair.

I dont know of any amp/DAC combo under $100.00. I guess the DragonFly Red or Black,but again I have not tried either,and dont like to suggest products I havent tried myself.

If it were me,I'd get a Schiit Magni 3 as an amp,use your soundcard as DAC and get DT770. If you can get over the keyboard noise,the DT990 250 ohm will work with Magni 3,as will the Fidelio X2. Both are very good for gaming,movies. I dont do anime,so I cant tell you one way or the other.
The Beyer 770/990 has more treble energy,so if youre sensitive to bright highs you may want to avoid Beyer headphones,and opt for the X2.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 38
Any open back is going to allow your keyboard noise in,including the DT990. I do not have any experience with any other DT990 other than my vintage pair.

I dont know of any amp/DAC combo under $100.00. I guess the DragonFly Red or Black,but again I have not tried either,and dont like to suggest products I havent tried myself.

If it were me,I'd get a Schiit Magni 3 as an amp,use your soundcard as DAC and get DT770. If you can get over the keyboard noise,the DT990 250 ohm will work with Magni 3,as will the Fidelio X2. Both are very good for gaming,movies. I dont do anime,so I cant tell you one way or the other.
The Beyer 770/990 has more treble energy,so if youre sensitive to bright highs you may want to avoid Beyer headphones,and opt for the X2.

I don't have any soundcard, I was just asking if a soundcard ( like the Soundblaster Z ) would be good enough to handle the DT990 ( or maybe 770, idk, you're making me changing my mind ^^ ). I don't really know how to know if I like treble or not, I'm really a newbie in this kind of audio stuff.. and also, if I want to get a DT770, should I take the DT 770 Edition or the Pro ?
Thanks

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 38
Well,then just use the motherboard sound on your computer until you can afford a proper DAC. The Modi 3 is the DAC many use to pair up with Magni 3.

I don't really know how to know if I like treble or not, I'm really a newbie in this kind of audio stuff.. and also, if I want to get a DT770, should I take the DT 770 Edition or the Pro ?
Thanks

Beyers have an extra dose of treble. Many people,including myself,dont like Beyer headphones for this reason. At first they sound like "WOW! I can hear all this detail". After awhile however that treble can start hurting your ears. Some people dont mind Beyer treble. Im not one of those people.

If you buy an amp,the 250 ohm version is fine. If you just want to plug the headphones right into the computer,or your phone then get the 32ohm version.

EDIT: Another headphone that you might like that I forgot to mention is the V-Moda M100. Comes with a mic,doesnt need an amp,has big bass,big treble(not quite as much as DT770) and is fun for movies,gaming,techno,rap etc...They can be uncomfortable though,so many owners buy different pads to help with that issue. My buddy has a pair that he plugs into his PS4 controller and he likes it.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 38
Well,then just use the motherboard sound on your computer until you can afford a proper DAC. The Modi 3 is the DAC many use to pair up with Magni 3.

Beyers have an extra dose of treble. Many people,including myself,dont like Beyer headphones for this reason. At first they sound like "WOW! I can hear all this detail". After awhile however that treble can start hurting your ears. Some people dont mind Beyer treble. Im not one of those people.

If you buy an amp,the 250 ohm version is fine. If you just want to plug the headphones right into the computer,or your phone then get the 32ohm version.

EDIT: Another headphone that you might like that I forgot to mention is the V-Moda M100. Comes with a mic,doesnt need an amp,has big bass,big treble(not quite as much as DT770) and is fun for movies,gaming,techno,rap etc...They can be uncomfortable though,so many owners buy different pads to help with that issue. My buddy has a pair that he plugs into his PS4 controller and he likes it.
Now let's say I don't like beyers trouble, would you have a list of headsets for gaming, music and watching animes, with good bass (because I really don't want to live the same experience I had with the game zero) ( at max 200-250 euros, cheaper if possible )? I'll check the V-moda you recommended me tho, even if I don't need a mic ^^

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 38
I suggest you read this thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...0-25-2018-creative-aurvana-trio-added.534479/

Theres more info there than any single member can give you.

I will rank for you the headphones Ive listed to try and help:

Bass Quantity
1.Taction Kannons
2.V-Moda M100
3.DT770
4.Fidelio X2 & DT990 tie

Treble quantity

1.DT770
2.DT990
3. V-Moda M100
4. X2
5. Taction Kannon

Comfort
DT990
DT770
3.X2
4.Taction Kannon
5.V-Moda M100

Sound Quality
1.X2
2.DT990
3.V-Moda M100
4.DT770
5.Taction Kannon

This list is subjective based upon my personal tastes. Other members may or may not agree with my rankings.

Even though I rank the DT990 and X2 at the bottom in bass quantity they both have + bass. You will notice that the top 3 in bass are all closed back,which is typical of closed vs. open in most cases.
For open backs the X2 and DT990 have big bass,but not to the degree of the closed.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 38
I suggest you read this thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...0-25-2018-creative-aurvana-trio-added.534479/

Theres more info there than any single member can give you.

I will rank for you the headphones Ive listed to try and help:

Bass Quantity
1.Taction Kannons
2.V-Moda M100
3.DT770
4.Fidelio X2 & DT990 tie

Treble quantity

1.DT770
2.DT990
3. V-Moda M100
4. X2
5. Taction Kannon

Comfort
DT990
DT770
3.X2
4.Taction Kannon
5.V-Moda M100

Sound Quality
1.X2
2.DT990
3.V-Moda M100
4.DT770
5.Taction Kannon

This list is subjective based upon my personal tastes. Other members may or may not agree with my rankings.

Even though I rank the DT990 and X2 at the bottom in bass quantity they both have + bass. You will notice that the top 3 in bass are all closed back,which is typical of closed vs. open in most cases.
For open backs the X2 and DT990 have big bass,but not to the degree of the closed.

In your treble quantity section, the higher isn't the best as you said uh ? Because you said Beyerdynamics has too much treble ^^. I think the V-Moda 100 might be a really nice choice since it's in the middle of everything. Do you have it and can you tell me mort about it ? ( like what pads should I buy to replace the classic ones, .. )

I also don't understand why you did put the DT990 at second place in sound quality, because you said the treble where too high..
And I don't understand why there is no Sennheiser headset because everyone says it's really good. (The only reason would be that there's no bass in any Sennheiser ^^)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 38
In your treble quantity section, the higher isn't the best as you said uh ?
Correct,for me.

Do you have it and can you tell me mort about it ? ( like what pads should I buy to replace the classic ones, .. )
I dont own it,but have heard it several times. You will want the XL pads

https://www.amazon.fr/Liyao-Remplacement-Oreillettes-Coussinets-réparation/dp/B07HCWN7VX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1551300630&sr=8-2&keywords=vmoda+xl+pads

( i think those are the right ones. I dont speak French)

I like Sennheiser HD650s,used to own both those and HD600s. The bass isnt huge and staging is narrow,and clamping can be tight. With a good valve amp the HD650s are ecellent,and miles above the others listed for music,but a good valve amp and good tubes can run you over 1000.00 euro.

Yes,the DT990 treble is too high for me,but for all around sound(music/gaming/movies) I give them 2nd best. IMO the treble isnt a huge issue for gaming and films. Music is a different story.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #15 of 38
Correct,for me.

I dont own it,but have heard it several times. You will want the XL pads

https://www.amazon.fr/Liyao-Remplacement-Oreillettes-Coussinets-réparation/dp/B07HCWN7VX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1551300630&sr=8-2&keywords=vmoda+xl+pads

( i think those are the right ones. I dont speak French)

I like Sennheiser HD650s,used to own both those and HD600s. The bass isnt huge and staging is narrow,and clamping can be tight. With a good valve amp the HD650s are ecellent,and miles above the others listed for music,but a good valve amp and good tubes can run you over 1000.00 euro.

Yes,the DT990 treble is too high for me,but for all around sound(music/gaming/movies) I give them 2nd best. IMO the treble isnt a huge issue for gaming and films. Music is a different story.

Umm, okay..
I'm really lost right now, I can't choose..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back