Need help buying headphones
Dec 14, 2010 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
So Here I am.

$50-$150 to spend

I want some headphones, over head
with portable amp

I was looking around and found Grado S60i or Grado SR80i with FiiO E5 amp for $90-$120
I'm wondering if this set would be good for what I want.

I like the look of the Grado and the price

I listen to 50% rock, 40% Jazz, 10% Other
Mostly on my computer or mp3 player
I have a good soundcard and audio driver on my computer
i do walk around listening to music, and I don't have a problem walking around with Grado at all

Should i look at other headphones? Or are the Grado good enough? Is there any others you like better then Grado

(ps, durability is top with me)

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 7
Durability? Do you throw your headphones on the ground?

The Grado SR60i are great headphones to start with, they are easily driven so an amp isn't essential. I own them as of right now before I upgrade in the next week! :D To me they are comfy and I can wear them for a decent amount of time without having to take them off. Grado can handle your musical choices with ease. I would recommend buying the Grados and saving up some money for a better amp for later purchases.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 7
What is the difference between the 60 and 80?

Some people say it's the cups, but most sights show the same cups.
Some say the bass and treble are better on the 80's but I'm using Cheap Senn Hd 201 and they put out good enough sound I just want to upgrade. In short: Are 80's worth the extra $$?

No, I do not throw them on the ground, but I have crushed some vintage headphones on stage when I play guitar : (

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 7
the sr60 and 80s are the same other than cabling, the sr60i and 80i differ a little more. The 80i have better matched drivers. Most people say that they are better especially for a small price difference. So I would recommend getting the Grado SR80i. Don't forget the i.

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Ok thanks, I guess I'll give the extra $20 to the Sr80i's

thanks man

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 7
the sr80 and the fiio e5 will be a good purchase. i tried my sr80s with my friend's $5 amp for the first time ever and they sounded beautiful. the sound improved drastically. i almost cried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back