need a set of phones to go with a particular usbdac/amp
Mar 25, 2011 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

d8n0g

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm getting the hifiman ef2a usbdac/amp and was going to get the AKG K240MKII.  My main concern is that this is my first decent purchase on an audio setup.  I listen to music on my pc around 6-8 hours a day because write.  I listen to everything besides modern country, death metal, techno.  What I listen to includes world, classic blues, classic rock, radiohead, sigur ros, and obscure 60's&70's psych, doom, and rock-new wave as well.  Will these akg's compliment music or do you have other suggestions?  I game as well but music is more important.  My budget for can's is no more than 165$

thanx

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I've heard the M50s on a few different tube amps and I always thought it was too much of a good thing.  The M50s have a dark-erish, lush, warm signature to them, and tube amps tend, though not always, to push this signature further.  

The AKGs you mention however take nicely to tubes, especially hybrids like yours.  If it were me, I'd order the AKG hands down.

Thanx for the input-very much appreciated.  As far as the senn's are concerned, that's way out of my price range for the time being.  I'm looking to spend no more than 165 as of right now.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 10
I don't find the M50 warm/lush at all.  There's nothing warm about them.  They sound great with tubes and if they fit the kind of sound you're looking for, you should consider them.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm having trouble deciding between th grado prestige 125i and the akg k240mkII's  I will be using the TubeMagic D1 DAC and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  I listen to everything except classical and country...I don't like overbearing bass.  So if anyone has any experience with these your input is appreciated.  I kind of decided against the hifiman after all:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back