Need a little help picking out a good set of cans ~100
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

PacManLives

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking the forums for the past few days trying to find a great set of headphones.

My needs/wants are an over the ear headphones, that are great to watch movies and music on while being powered mostly by my Macbook Pro or my work pc and every now and then an ipod.

Primary:
So I need a pair that has decent isolation at work(Have a guy who talks alot too) but I work more or less in a bullpen so it can get load from ppl talking.

Would be nice!
Also I might try to use them with my PS3 for some of the FPS I play so if i can find a pair that has some soundscape that would be sweet.

This is my first set of good headphones and there seems to be a ton of great cans around the price range I am looking at.

Here are a few that I am considering

ath-ad700
ATHM50
HD580

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 17
Well I was able to try on the HD580 and they had an M40.
The store I was at did not let me listen to any of these.

The HD580 felt like it was clamping on my head and had some weight to it. The weight was not to bad.

The M40 was light compaired to the 580 seemed to drone out the background nose better then the 580 and sat rather nicely on my head.

Really wish I could have listen to these guys and wish the had the M50.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 17
the HD-580 is like 95% of what the HD600 is and the HD 600 is a set of cans that are deeply loved by many members here.  However, the AD-700 is widely recommended for gaming. So, pick what you want more in a can. the ability to pwn people on multiplayer or to get some really good sound out of your music. the m50 is great for music but not so much for gaming. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 17
Thank You Very Much for your response!

I kind of thought there would be no headphone that would do what I want it to do.

I am really btw the 580 and M50 now what is better for the type of music I listen to?
I like Metal, Rock, and Classic rock.

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Thank You Very Much for your response!

I kind of thought there would be no headphone that would do what I want it to do.

I am really btw the 580 and M50 now what is better for the type of music I listen to?
I like Metal, Rock, and Classic rock.

Grado headphones could be good, since you like rock...metal. 

But the isolation on them is not good. 

I can recommend the ATH-ES7..the isolation on them is better comparing to grado's. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 17
Neither the HD580 or the ATH-AD700 will offer much/anything in the way of noise isolation. They're both open-backed headphones. The same with Grados, unfortunately.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 17
^^ that and closed headphones usually have a crappy soundstage so.. if you're gaming, then closed headphones like the m50 is the opposite of what you want to get. though, what some other people said, the HD580 is not a  real headbanger type of headphone, the Grado headphones are THE best for rock and metal. the hd580 is good if you want to kick back and listen to some tunes in high fidelity.  i have a suggestion. Why not buy all three and listen to all of  the cans and try it out w/ games. and then decide which one you like the best.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
^^ that and closed headphones usually have a crappy soundstage so.. if you're gaming, then closed headphones like the m50 is the opposite of what you want to get. though, what some other people said, the HD580 is not a  real headbanger type of headphone, the Grado headphones are THE best for rock and metal. the hd580 is good if you want to kick back and listen to some tunes in high fidelity.  i have a suggestion. Why not buy all three and listen to all of  the cans and try it out w/ games. and then decide which one you like the best.

That is sooo the Headfi attitude. Not sure what to buy? Go in all guns blazin' and buy the lot. Of course the next suggested course of action is to sell the ones you don't want, but you know that's not going to happen.
dt880smile.png

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 17
I am now just looking for music/movie headphones. I will just save up for an Onkyo set up for my gaming

Having issues trying to find a pair of the ES7's online anyone know of a good dealer? 

What pair of the Grado? Both the SR 60 and SR 80's look to be in my price range. Would getting a pair of Alessandro MS1i be better as they are 99 bucks? The one thing that bothers me is they are over the ear. So when I am jamming will my fellow workers who are about 6ft way be able to sing along because of the leakage?

Are the ES7's that much better for Rock and Metal then the M50's?

Also anyone try the Koss DJ100's? I have seen very limited info on them and only one or 2 users here post about them..... Makes me a little nervous to buy them.

Thanks!

EDITED

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 17
Out of all the ones you  wrote about, the MS1s are the best for rock, make a search on the forums. The sound more like the sr125i than the sr80i. The leakage isn't really caused, because it is over the ear. The leakage is cause, because it is open back. I know that the earbuds that come with the iPod have very bad leakage, I can only imagine how bad they would be on open backed headphones. If you have some spare change, don't overlook getting an amp.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 17
Go with the Audio technica M-50's, they are good for just about everything for $100. The MS1's are amazing but not best for a work environment. Others suggested to Creative Aurvana's, I personally think the M50's outperform them on every level.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 17

[size=medium]
[size=medium]
Well I ended up going to Best Buy after work and took my ipod into the store with me and hooked it up to a few different set of headphones. I really liked how the Koss UR55's sounded so decided to upgrade to the Koss DJ100's.

All I can say is WOW!!! coming from ipod ear buds these things sound good! 

I played some Korn, Offspring, Slipknot, Eminem, Cypress Hill and all of which sounded good. The songs in my playlist that did not sound good was D12 and Mushroom Head and it might be the mp3's I have as they are old and more then likely are encoded in 128 

The mids seem a little heavy and I wish they had just a little more bass, maybe an amp would be helpful on the ipod or just a little time breaking them in might help them out.

On my Computer they sound good coming from my Sammy T240HD's monitors headphone jack coming from my pc and PS3.

The sound coming though my PS3 is amazing I test out the Dark Knight and the opening scene sounded great. The club scene did not have as much bass as I would have liked and sounded rather flat.... 

I did do some online gaming with BattleField Bad Company 2, the sound stage is not to bad I can hear people coming up the stairs and am able to local where a shot was fired rather easily.  I am hearing all kinds of things that I have never heard before.

I have to say the DJ100 seems to be a nice all around set of cans. With the lifetime warranty I dont have to be worry about being super careful with them.

And if decided I dont like them Best Buy has a 30 return policy on headphones.
[/size]

[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back