Need a good starting pair
Nov 21, 2010 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MORBO

New Head-Fier
So up until now I've been using MDR-V150s for all around use and I enjoy them a lot.
But I feel a need to upgrade and want some suggestions for anything in the $50-$100 price range. These would be strictly for home use on my computer (Gaming and 320kbps~flac music mostly).
I listen to a variety of music so something for one specific genre would be a waste.
Indie
Classic(?) Rock
Techno
Metal
Prog Rock
etc.

I've considered a few pairs but am totally open to better suggestions.
SR-60i
SR-80i (What makes this worth the $20 extra?)
MDR-V6 (Or 600 maybe)
HD280
HD555

Something that does not need an amp is preferred (Getting out of price range), but if there is a definite reason to get pair X with an amp, then I will consider it. And again, I am totally open to more suggestions.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 11
I really, really love the MDR-V6's. Yesterday I heard a lot of higher priced headphones and still preferred the V6's. While I haven't heard all those on your list, I prefer them over the Grado's for sure. They are really good for just about every genre except classical. Not that they are particularly terrible with classical, they just have no soundstage, so there's no sense of space between the instruments.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi, I've owned the 555s and both grados (I'll have sr60is next week if you want to hear them) so I'll comment on those.

The Grados are open by design, and have an aggressive treble. They are good for rock and metal, but are unsuited for genres which require a lot of bass. The sr80is use a 4 wire cable, as opposed to a 3 wire cable, and this reduces ground interference. The cups are also larger, and have a slightly larger soundstage. Also, grados are really easy to mod to improve their sound.

The 555s I found were very neutral, without any frequency range significantly standing out, but the sound is dark and veiled. Like listening with cloth over your ears. These are also open, but leak less sound than grados. 

Closed headphones are typically better with bass, but open headphones are more neutral overall, without the bass mixing with the midrange.

Hopefully someone else can comment on other options.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
So up until now I've been using MDR-V150s for all around use and I enjoy them a lot.
But I feel a need to upgrade and want some suggestions for anything in the $50-$100 price range. These would be strictly for home use on my computer (Gaming and 320kbps~flac music mostly).
I listen to a variety of music so something for one specific genre would be a waste.
Indie
Classic(?) Rock
Techno
Metal
Prog Rock
etc.

I've considered a few pairs but am totally open to better suggestions.
SR-60i
SR-80i (What makes this worth the $20 extra?)
MDR-V6 (Or 600 maybe)
HD280
HD555

Something that does not need an amp is preferred (Getting out of price range), but if there is a definite reason to get pair X with an amp, then I will consider it. And again, I am totally open to more suggestions.

The SR60i will give you terrific mileage.  It used to be that the SR80 merited a $20 difference in price because of a larger cushion but now both cans use the same cushions.  A used SR80 is fine but if I were buying new, I'd enjoy the SR60i.  It's a bargain.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 11
I was planning on getting the SR60i until I heard them, and I didn't like how they sounded (I think it was the 8~14khz range that was bothering me), so I decided to kick this topic in the teeth and bring it back.

Now I'm leaning to the HD555 or AD700 (But do either need an amp?). Which would be better?
And again, if you have better suggestions for what I'm going to use them for, please say it.

EDIT: The Sony MDR-V6 looks good too.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I was planning on getting the SR60i until I heard them, and I didn't like how they sounded (I think it was the 8~14khz range that was bothering me), so I decided to kick this topic in the teeth and bring it back.

Now I'm leaning to the HD555 or AD700 (But do either need an amp?). Which would be better?
And again, if you have better suggestions for what I'm going to use them for, please say it.

Neither require an amp.  I personally prefer the AD700 over the HD555 but you can do a quick mod to make them into HD595.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Ad700 do not need an amp to sound good. They are great for gaming. I feel they are best for classical and acoustic music. I think they are just ok for rock. They are also extremely comfortable. HD555 Don't need an amp but benefit from one. They have a little bit more bass than ad700 but don't have the clarity and huge soundstage of the ad700. I found them boring and sold them. Have you looked at the ath-m50 or the shure headphones?

Dec 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 11
I would recommend buying the HD-555 and modding them to the HD-595. I bought my HD-555 2 years ago and they're probably still my most used headphones, granted I do only have 2 other pairs at the moment. (Grado SR-60i and Audio Technica M50)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back