Need a Durable Set of IEMs for Classical, unamped (for portable use)
Apr 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

UberB

New Head-Fier
Budget about $80-100.

Soundwise I think RE0 is obviously the best choice, but I have heard of lots of durability issues (i.e. broken in 1 year or less) so I feel inclined to steer away from them.

Currently considering Etymotics MC5 and ER6i. I heard the construction quality is solid and the isolation is simply superb, which is always a great bonus in buses, cars, airplanes, etc. I also heard that they are very good for classical music, which is the only type I will be listening to (primarily piano solos and some orchestral works eg symphonies concertos) so I don't think the Ety's "lack of bass" as some people say will be that much of a problem. I should also say that my source will be an iPhone unamped -v0 mp3 so perhaps the sound difference with RE0 will not even be that noticeable? Also how comfortable are the Etys?

In the end, sound is ultimately subjective and as you can see, the source is not that ideal. So I decided to go for construction quality and isolation which are concrete, objective advantages. Thoughts?

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 17
An iPhone source with IEM's is not significantly better than a more powerful source. The sound quality difference is not as noticeable as full sized headphones. Even the top tier universal IEM's sound great with iPhones.

As for earphones in that price range I have no clue :)

my 2cents

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 17
I would recommend the MEE A151.  I have the ER6i as well as many others.  I listen to primarily classical music.  The A151 are my new favorite go to headphone for classical as well as all other genre's.  I really enjoy them all around.  They are $50 on amazon right now with free shipping.  I am sure other folks may be able to throw their opinions your way as there are plenty of people that listen to classical here.  I haven't heard the HF5, I am waiting for a pair to be delivered from another member, although I don't think they ever will.  I have the Harmon Kardon EP730 which I have read carries a similar sound, which I like very much.  

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm a dedicated classical listener and I'm very pleased with my MC5s. They have a satisfyingly neutral, natural sound (using the triflange tips- whose fit may may be an acquired taste but which give the best sound and great isolation) and are built like a tank. At the price they're very good value.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Ety HF2s are on sale on amazon for $99. Carries the ER4 signature but supposedly more musical, livelier, and has better bass, while the cable has less microphonics. This is just from what I read though. 

The A151s are definitely a good choice if you are trying to save some money but really I'd just go with the Etys on sale.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Budget about $80-100.

Soundwise I think RE0 is obviously the best choice, but I have heard of lots of durability issues (i.e. broken in 1 year or less) so I feel inclined to steer away from them.

Currently considering Etymotics MC5 and ER6i. I heard the construction quality is solid and the isolation is simply superb, which is always a great bonus in buses, cars, airplanes, etc. I also heard that they are very good for classical music, which is the only type I will be listening to (primarily piano solos and some orchestral works eg symphonies concertos) so I don't think the Ety's "lack of bass" as some people say will be that much of a problem. I should also say that my source will be an iPhone unamped -v0 mp3 so perhaps the sound difference with RE0 will not even be that noticeable? Also how comfortable are the Etys?

In the end, sound is ultimately subjective and as you can see, the source is not that ideal. So I decided to go for construction quality and isolation which are concrete, objective advantages. Thoughts?

The Re-zero I had a chance to hear (thanks rawrster!) was very interesting, but if you are used to what live, unamplified classical music sounds like (or you'd like to hear what it sounds like), you should look elsewhere. That's not really a criticism as different sound signatures are good for different musical tastes. However, it's interesting that such an artificial sound is so often recommended to classical listeners. The build quality is a wise thing to consider.

Etymotics has a reputation for very good customer service. Maybe that hf2 for $99 would be a good deal. I haven't heard it, but it's well spoken of. Supersleuth has recommended his ety mc5. Usually a group of us take turns making fun of him in these sort of threads (no hard feelings!), but this time, if you don't mind the deep insertion of all ety iems (it's not that bad, I think) then the mc5 is another choice if you can find it at a bargain price. It usually doesn't review nearly as well as the hf2/3.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 17
I love my GR07 for classical.  It really makes me feel like the orchestra is right in front of me.  Though it's a little bit out of your price range, I'd say it's worth it - at least, it was for me.  It feels like it will be pretty durable, but only time will tell.

Apr 25, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Quote:
 Supersleuth has recommended his ety mc5. Usually a group of us take turns making fun of him in these sort of threads (no hard feelings!), but this time, if you don't mind the deep insertion of all ety iems (it's not that bad, I think) then the mc5 is another choice if you can find it at a bargain price. It usually doesn't review nearly as well as the hf2/3.

Which, while I haven't heard the latter, makes me very suspicious because the few head to head reviews that exist generally conclude that they don't actually sound very different, certainly not 40 bucks' worth. Two things there are a lot of around here are groupthink and magnification of small differences.

As I've said before, I suspect there are relatively few people around here who both perform and hear as much live classical music as often I do, and my ears clearly tell me that the MC5's frequency balance is closer to the real thing than a lot of phones'. That may not be everybody's primary criterion but it tends to work very well for classical music.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 17
Which, while I haven't heard the latter, makes me very suspicious because the few head to head reviews that exist generally conclude that they don't actually sound very different, certainly not 40 bucks' worth. Two things there are a lot of around here are groupthink and magnification of small differences.

As I've said before, I suspect there are relatively few people around here who both perform and hear as much live classical music as often I do, and my ears clearly tell me that the MC5's frequency balance is closer to the real thing than a lot of phones'. That may not be everybody's primary criterion but it tends to work very well for classical music.

Really? I seem to remember that the MC5 was criticized for being the most 'un-Etymotic'. Although, I don't have a lot of experience listening or performing live classical music.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 17
I don't really know what "Etymotic-like" is, all I know is that the MC5 presents the whole frequency range in a very even way. To my ears they are neither more nor less "bassy" or "trebly" than the sound of a live orchestra, and they have an uncolored midrange that produces believable instrument timbres. No doubt there are other virtues a transducer can have, but for me as a classical music listener those are the critical ones. YMMV.

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Another possible choice I'm considering is the Etymotic HF5 which costs just over $100.

x2
Fantastic IEMs; I came from the Senn IE8 but needed something with more isolation so I bought the HF5s. Though these IEMs arte opposites I had no problem adapting (added +2 clearbass on my Sony X1060, left the rest to flat) and all genres, also electronic, jazz, pop and rock, sound great!

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Hmm, I probably will go with MC5 then. Unless there is a noticeable difference between HF5 and MC5? For the record, Amazon does list MC5 as a newer version of HF5.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Hmm, I probably will go with MC5 then. Unless there is a noticeable difference between HF5 and MC5? For the record, Amazon does list MC5 as a newer version of HF5.

As with a lot of info on Amazon that's not correct, they're different models with totally different drivers (moving coil vs. balanced armature).

There's a comparative review on this site. And this extensive MC5 review was written, I believe, by the Headfi user whose screen name is ljokerl.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #15 of 17
Thanks for the links! I suppose I should also mention that I would prefer the IEMs to be as neutral as possible. I want to hear the performer/conductor's interpretation, not the IEM's :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back