NBA Playoffs!
Jun 13, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #646 of 827
One of the (many) positives takeaways of these Finals is that well-balanced teams still have a chance at winning.  A talent-rich team like the Heat looks good on paper, but the realities of the salary cap makes them way too top-heavy and the quality of the 4th through 12th players suffers.  It's tough for those top players to play 42+ minutes a game to make up for the scrub reserves being paid the league minimum.  Hopefully the other stars of the league are taking notice.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #647 of 827
Quote:
One of the (many) positives takeaways of these Finals is that well-balanced teams still have a chance at winning.  A talent-rich team like the Heat looks good on paper, but the realities of the salary cap makes them way too top-heavy and the quality of the 4th through 12th players suffers.  It's tough for those top players to play 42+ minutes a game to make up for the scrub reserves being paid the league minimum.  Hopefully the other stars of the league are taking notice.

It certainly worked for the Celtics, and with another tweak or two it will work for the Heat as well. It will be interesting if the CBA negotiations focus on preventing collaborations like these in the future though.

The Mavs broke down the Heat in much the same way that they broke down the Thunder and the Lakers, by hanging together, not straying from their game plan, making their shots, and covering each others' backs. Like those other two teams, the Heat were completely befuddled by the end of the series. The better team clearly won, and I am only disappointed that the Heat couldn't push them to a game seven. 
beerchug.gif

Congrats to the Mavs on finally getting a title, and since someone seems to require a bit more validation, congratulations to both of you on your last-minute picks!

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #648 of 827

Quote:

It certainly worked for the Celtics, and with another tweak or two it will work for the Heat as well. It will be interesting if the CBA negotiations focus on preventing collaborations like these in the future though.

Oh, no question it worked for the Celtics.  My point is that combining 3 superstars is no guarantee of success, as Lebron appeared to think it was.  A good team of a superstar surrounded by quality role players can still come out ahead.  As such, does it makes sense for a CP3 or Dwight Howard to take less money to join up on another superfriends team?  It should give them pause, at least.

On your previous point about the Celtics paving the way, I look at what Boston did a little differently than Miami.  At first blush, sure, they combined 3 superstars, but they combined 3 aging stars in their twilight years, each desperate for a shot at a ring before their careers were done.  A minor distinction yeah, but it makes a difference.  Oh, and I don't remember the Boston celebration where KG promises 7 or 8 rings....  This is coming from a Laker fan with an avowed hatred of the Celtics. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #649 of 827
Yeah I agree that the Celtics did it in much classier fashion, but the Mavs are approaching their twilight years as well. It may be that desperation for a ring forces a more coachable maturity, and the collective egos to take a back seat in favor of team play. Hence my comments about men and boys.

You mean superfriends that celebrate and guarantee success like this?

biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #650 of 827
grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 and since someone seems to require a bit more validation, congratulations to both of you on your last-minute picks!

Absolutely! Thank you. That was sweet to read. 

lbj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On your previous point about the Celtics paving the way, I look at what Boston did a little differently than Miami.  At first blush, sure, they combined 3 superstars, but they combined 3 aging stars in their twilight years, each desperate for a shot at a ring before their careers were done.  A minor distinction yeah, but it makes a difference.

That's kind of where I'm at. I can see the comparison. Then I can't. Another hang up for me, is that Lebron was considered the best player in the league and had already reached the finals with an organization willing to do anything for him. Wade was the third best player in the league, already with a ring. 

Anyway barring something unforeseen, the Heat will get theirs. I doubt you'll find many that would state otherwise. 

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #651 of 827
Let's give Dirk some love, shall we?  Unabashedly awesome stats from the Finals:

2011 Finals in crunchtime*:
FG pct:  Dirk 61.5, MIA 28.0
Rebounds:  Dirk 7, MIA 9
+/-:  Dirk +18, MIA -16

* defined as the last 5 minutes of the game, with the score within 5 points

Most points per 4q, NBA Finals last 20 yrs:
1995 Shaq 11.5
2000 Shaq 11.5
1997 MJ 10.7
2011 Dirk 10.3
1993 MJ 10.3

(Stats from TrueHoop)

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #655 of 827
What's really impressive about Dirk (no one wants to type his last name lol) is how far he's come as a player over the last decade or so. He used to be a bit bratty himself, especially when he was losing and the calls weren't going the way he thought they were. Not only has game evolved over the years to make him a more complete player, but his mental attitude is much more mature, like a real champion's should be. The impetus for the change was probably greatly contributed to by losing in 2006, and by the influence of Jason Kidd, who is so stoic he could be cast out of stone.

It's not like the Mavs were just a team of blue collar guys surrounding a lone superstar against a team of stars as many seem to be saying. Much like Miami, Dallas has two legitimate hall of famers, plus two great established players in Terry and Marion. They did get some fantastic contributions from Barea and Chandler, and having better role players made as much of a difference as anything else. It doesn't always work out that way though, statistically the "bratty superstar teams" win just as often:

"The Heat, because of their lack of depth, have to play subpar players for over 40% of the time while the Mavericks only have to deal with that issue 12% of the time. Outside the talent edge that the Heat surely own: That's a huge discrepancy."

*sigh*   I miss basketball already.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #658 of 827
matthewh133 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. I hate off season. Ah well, time to pay more attention to Aussie Footy where my team is 11-0 even after losing the best player in the league last year :) (lolCleveland)

Not I, It's time for my annual much needed sports break. However I do fear it may be longer than usual this time, if the owners and players in the NFL and NBA can't get together.

You ran a good thread lbj. Thanks, and I'll see you cats next time.

Oh and gimme Heat/Thunder in the finals next year. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #659 of 827
OWH NOES!!!!
NO RING FOR MAVS!!!!

Maybe cuban lined up pairs of Uber German cyborg made Limited..  limited edition Rhodium plated Ultrasone Editon 0 for the mavs...

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #660 of 827

Quote:
matthewh133 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not I, It's time for my annual much needed sports break. However I do fear it may be longer than usual this time, if the owners and players in the NFL and NBA can't get together.

You ran a good thread lbj. Thanks, and I'll see you cats next time.

Oh and gimme Heat/Thunder in the finals next year. 

Yep, I'm with you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back