Narrowed down my DAC/amp choices. Please help me pick!
Jun 16, 2010 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kingtz

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to a handful, but I need help in the final selection.

First, let me describe what I am looking for:

Play mostly music from my notebook, desktop and mp3 player to my headphones. Which is why I am looking mainly at DAC/amp combos.

Source:
Sager 8690 notebook
Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB
Desktop with onboard sound

Headphones:
SHURE SRH840

Things to keep in mind, my notebook definitely needs a DAC since its headphone out pretty much sucks. I'm just using onboard sound currently on my desktop. It's passable, but since I don't have a soundcard, I'm hoping that a DAC will be a huge improvement in sound quality.

I think the Zen Vision:M currently does a very decent job of driving my SHR840s. I can get my optimal loudness at around halfway on the volume. I think that the DAC/amp that I will be buying will primarily be used with my notebook and desktop.  I'd still like to use it with my Zen occassionaly, however. I don't think the Zen has a USB out (it's got some propriety connection), so I need something that accepts the output from the Zen's headphone out.

I have a poor student's budget so I'd really like to keep it under $200, unless spending a little extra will make an overwhelming difference.

Here are my choices so far (I'd also like recommendations as these are the models I came across after reading various reviews in this forum, which are all a few years old):

iBasso D2+ Boa (DAC/Amp): so far the reviews have been good. At $169 (+tax and shipping), it's a bit on the high side.
FiiO E7 (DAC/Amp): $99; the reviews I've read about this have only been luke warm. From what I gather, it's nice for something under $100, but nothing to blow your socks off. It's also been criticized for its OLED screen, which are apparently known to burn out quickly.
Nuforce uDAC: $99: good reviews, but as it is a USB DAC only, I don't think I can hook this up to my mp3 player.
Nuforce Icon Mobile: $99: seems to have good Highs and Mids, but bad on the lows. Since my SRH840s are already not bass heavy, I'd rather not lose what little bass I have.

I'll likely be using it as a DAC the vast majority of the time (+75%), and with my headphones occasionally. If it's connected to the USB of my notebook as a DAC, will I still need to use the amp feature?

What are some recommended and safe stores to buy the DAC/amps from? iBasso doesn't appear to e sold anywhere other than on their own website. FiiO and Nuforce are on Amazon, but sell at MSRP. Are there any trusted resellers/dealers who sell these for cheaper than MSRP?
Anything else I need to consider or know about?

Thanks.

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 6
BUMP.

I think I've narrowed it down to uDAC vs. D2+ Boa
After more reading, it seems that the DAC on the uDAC is better than that of the Boa, but the Boa has dedicated amp? Is this the gist of it?

What else do I need to know before I make the decision? The uDAC seems to be in the lead for me. Will the channel imbalance be noticeable on the SRH840s or is that only on IEMs?

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 6
d2 is portable but udac is not. I would go for the d2. you may need a portable in the future..

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the suggestion, but from what I've read about it, the E7 just doesn't seem like it's for me.

Hmmm...now I'm just considering buying the cheaper uDAC to use as a DAC on my notebook, then put the money I save from not getting a Boa towards a proper desktop amp for when I'm at home...

AAARRRGGGGHHH...all these choices...sometimes I just wish there was only one headphone and only one amp that we all had to buy...
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back