Napping with Sony SA5000?
May 22, 2011 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gzone3lement

third_eye! You are a stud!
I am looking for a pair of headphones that is very different from my Denon AH-D7000. At the same time, I want to wear an affordable one so I can take frequent naps with. I thought about getting IEM's, but I prefer using headphones instead. So far, I had narrowed down to the following:

Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD598
B&W p5

Some headphones I will not consider getting:
AKG k701/k702
Beyerdynamic DT880
Sennheiser HD600/HD650

Recently, I became interested in the Sony SA5000. To any Sony SA5000 owners or former owners, would you find it okay for wearing this while sleeping? The pictures I had seen are attractive but fragile-looking, and even if the headphones are recabled, I am not sure if this pair can stay in one piece. In the past, when I wear full-can headphones while napping, I do not sleep on the side, and I always make sure to take them off when I doze off too deeply. Thus, I never had experienced seeing a broken headphones when I wake up. I want to know if wearing this pair while napping makes any difference.

May 22, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 22
Can't comment on SA5000, but I use AKG K240's for relaxing/napping/bed-use

I don't dare to use the D7000's or HD-650's for it, K-240's give exceptional nice allround sound for it's price and are something very different from D7000's.

May 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 22
Frame flexes easily but should be sturdy enough.

biggest issue with SA5K and sleeping is comfort. the adjustment rods protrude outwards, which means that you will only be able to sleep in one position - on your back. shouldn;t be a problem for you though. frankly i'd be more worried about wearing (p)leather pads for extended periods. again shouldn't be a problem for you assuming you can do it with your denons (good thing about SA5K is that it doesn't clamp down as hard as others).

the senns you mentioned would probably give you better comfort.

prog - hd650's are perfectly fine for sleeping :D

May 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 22
that is true about (p)leather for long periods. That's why I use K-240's with AKG velour pads

May 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 22
I wouldn't go for the Senn 59X route. Not because of sound, but just because of fragility. The 595s are very light and comfortable, but not really up to much in terms of build - I feel like I could easily snap the headband or break other parts if I take them off awkwardly or sit on them.
My only experience of a P5 was in an Apple store, but their flat profile and small, solid build seem pretty perfect for what you have in mind. The only problem there is whether your ears would become sore if you end up wearing a supra-aural headphone overnight.

Of course, that's irrelevant if you decide to go for the SA5k.

May 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
Frame flexes easily but should be sturdy enough.

biggest issue with SA5K and sleeping is comfort. the adjustment rods protrude outwards, which means that you will only be able to sleep in one position - on your back. shouldn;t be a problem for you though. frankly i'd be more worried about wearing (p)leather pads for extended periods. again shouldn't be a problem for you assuming you can do it with your denons (good thing about SA5K is that it doesn't clamp down as hard as others).

the senns you mentioned would probably give you better comfort.

prog - hd650's are perfectly fine for sleeping :D

Interesting. If I manage to get a spare pair of SA5000 leather pads, I wouldn't need to worry too much, right?

May 23, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Can't comment on SA5000, but I use AKG K240's for relaxing/napping/bed-use

I don't dare to use the D7000's or HD-650's for it, K-240's give exceptional nice allround sound for it's price and are something very different from D7000's.

I listened to my friend's K-240's, and they do sound great for its price. I had listened to them while sleeping and had no complaints on its comfort. This neutral sound is what I am looking for, especially since it is different from the AH-D7000. However, even with a powerful amplifier, I occasionally do have an itch of listening to more detailed sound and bigger soundstage while napping. Nevertheless, I might think about it.

May 23, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 22
^ ah, well, they do have their limits offcourse, but for what you do get, price is ridiculously low. If I break those, I won't be crying like I would when breaking D7000's

May 23, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 22
If you're sitting while napping (I'm lying in bed, therefore afraid to break my headphones if I would turn around), HD650's though 3-4 times the price do give you more detail

They're a very nice experience those Senns when being very tired; relaxing and laid-back sound, yet with details. They are great allrounders too.

May 23, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
If you're sitting while napping (I'm lying in bed, therefore afraid to break my headphones if I would turn around), HD650's though 3-4 times the price do give you more detail

They're a very nice experience those Senns when being very tired; relaxing and laid-back sound, yet with details. They are great allrounders too.

I agree. The HD650's are versatile and I would be satisfied with the sound. However, the issue I had from my friend's HD650 was headband/head adjuster. Not trying to be funny, but no matter how careful I tried taking off the headphones for the 1-2 months I borrowed from him, the adjuster kept pulling out my hair, and it was painful too.

May 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
I agree. The HD650's are versatile and I would be satisfied with the sound. However, the issue I had from my friend's HD650 was headband/head adjuster. Not trying to be funny, but no matter how careful I tried taking off the headphones for the 1-2 months I borrowed from him, the adjuster kept pulling out my hair, and it was painful too.

ow, well, no, I don't have any comfort issues with HD580/6X0. The flat AKG headband wouldn't give you those problems I guess.

May 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 22
If you want a very wide soundstage but with intimate midrange, the only choice that I've heard is the HD598 in almost any price range.

The sound is excellent if you want far instruments to sound far away, almost speaker-like, but while close-mic'd instruments and vocals will sound closer, more intimate.

May 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 22
^ I really have to try these HD598's, have to know what all the fuzz is about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back