Nano 6G
Jan 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #61 of 131

Quote:
I'd love if apple brought out a 500gb classic. Don't know if it's physically possible but my 160gb classic is full and I just HATE changing music around all the time, I'd love to have my whole library on me at all times, guess they'll never do it though.
cool.gif

500 GB would be nice. My mp3 collection of favorites barely fits on my 120 GB (LAME V0)...and a few dozen lossless reference tracks. Do like Bigshot does (I think that's his member name) and collect a few iPods...one for each genre.

Re the gapless on the Classic, I haven't thought about that much since I like to listen in shuffle mode mostly within a playlist. I do like crossfeed and crossfade though...one of my favorite things that Rockbox gave me with a 5G iPod...and it's so tweakable too.

Tonight I'm ordering a 16 GB 6G Nano...after thinking about it for 2 weeks. Orange, in honor of my dead (Orange) shuffle. RIP.
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #62 of 131
Yea I could do that but that would mean me buying 3 more...too expensive for me at the moment
mad.gif
I guess I'll just have to keep switching and changing what I want around, if only it was drag and drop it would be so much easier...

Orange, excellent choice, I've got the 8gb version (as I mainly use it for just short journeys) in orange (more gold than orange), very sexy little device
wink.gif

There's something about it being an 'Orange Apple' that intrigues me
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #64 of 131
I have a 500GB 'Classic'. Its called a 'netbook'. I hook it up to an inexpensive DAC via asynch USB and it sounds quite good. Sure, its not an iPod, and its not a DAP, but it works in any office/hotel/bedside situation you care to name - for everything else, I guess I just have to live with the reality that small players entail compromises.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #65 of 131
Yea, I have my portable hard drive which has everything on pretty much, I carry my laptop where I can and take the hard drive with me if need be, you'd just think with the technology and the way hard drives are going nowadays they would have put 250gb+ into a hand-held player already.
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #66 of 131

Quote:
I was under the impression that none of the Classic series had gapless playback.  I could be wrong though.  I am surprised that the Ipad doesn't have the crossfade.  When I'm not listening to an album that would require gapless, I love the crossfade feature!

What is the difference between crossfade and gapless?  I thought they are the same.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #67 of 131

Quote:
I'd love if apple brought out a 500gb classic. Don't know if it's physically possible but my 160gb classic is full and I just HATE changing music around all the time, I'd love to have my whole library on me at all times, guess they'll never do it though.
cool.gif

You can do that now.  It's call Imod.  The imod either from RWA or supermod from whiplash can give you 240 gig drive in the same size as a classic.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #68 of 131

Quote:
What is the difference between crossfade and gapless?  I thought they are the same.

Gapless you will realize, for instance, when you're listening to a live concert CD and the songs blend together seamlessly hearing the applause uninterrupted.

Crossfade blends any 2 songs together, fading the first song out as the next song fades in.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #69 of 131
Gapless is something you do to your music from within iTunes.  If you have formatted the album to be gapless (I put the Mac specific directions above, although should be similar to a PC) in iTunes it will sync to the iPod in gapless.  It is not something you need to turn on within the iPod.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #70 of 131
Yes. The crossfade feature is like listening to the radio when they blend songs together.  It's a nice transition and also leaves no dead air between songs. 

As for the gapless, I still believe that not every ipod model is able to play gapless audio.  So even if you have your songs synced with the gapless feature on, it doesn't mean your ipod will play it.  I am not completely sure about the classic models though.  But the Nano 3G was not able to play gapless audio until you updated to the newest firmware.  The Ipad has the gapless playback but not yet the crossfade.  I think they sort of left some music features out of the ipad as it's main function probably isn't a music player.  But I really like the ipad music interface. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #71 of 131
Yes, I would agree the original iPods did not have gapless.  But all the recent to include the 6th gen do and the classics going back a few generations all had it.    Crossfade is something I had not seen on an iPod since this version of the Nano, however I have not bought an iPod in a while due to my satisfaction with my iPhone, so not sure when that started.

However I turned crossfade off, as everything I have read on battery preservation for this nano said to turn off all features you can live without.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #73 of 131

Quote:
Quote:
cool.gif

You can do that now.  It's call Imod.  The imod either from RWA or supermod from whiplash can give you 240 gig drive in the same size as a classic.

I've had a 5th generation 30gb iPod video sitting around for years with a bust screen, I've just ordered some parts for it (new LCD screen, front bezel, clickwheel and battery) so hopefully it will bring it back into use, but yea, I've just noticed they sell a 240gb Toshiba hard drive that works with it too (£200 though) - That+ Rockbox = win
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #74 of 131
I am the proud owner of a 16GB Nano 6G in silver (FINALLY, my first iPod after many years [since 1986] of being trapped in Sony Walkmen, ATRAC and SonicStage!) and I have teamed it up with both a Fiio L1 LOD and silver Fiio E5 amp and I switch between my cling wrap-modded Sony MDR-EX90SL IEM's and my custom short-corded MDR-V700DJ cans...... "Sweeter than YooHoo!"  (Roy Munson as played by Woody Harrelson in the film Kingpin:)

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #75 of 131
Good choices, I've got to admit I really do like this generation of Nano - Much against the freak sized finger moaners, moaning about the size etc, I get along with it fine and think it's headphone out and battery are super
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back