Nano 6G
Dec 29, 2010 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 131

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
So I got the new iPod nano today and I must say, it is a very good player. I think this actually might be the best apple player I have ever heard. it has a very neutral sound compared to the others.

Right now I only have this and the iPad to compare and I definitely like the nano a lot more in terms of overall sound quality; I think the iPad has slightly forward mids when the EQ is turned off; I think the Nano is a little more neutral without the equalizer running.

My headphones are the Shure SE535s.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 131
I definitely agree.  Although I thought it was hard to swallow that kind of money for the watered down player, but the sound is about as good as I've heard in an ipod.  Love to run with mine, just a tine little clip. 
I still have a major gripe with the battery life.  A lot of people may be apple haters, but they have typically put some useful batteries in their products.  This one is horrendous.  I was setting up genius playlists and I burned through a battery from full to zero in a little over an hour! 

But, the sound is good and it is exactly the type player I need for workouts, so it's still a keeper for me. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 131
Wow man, only an hour? I haven't actually sat down and tracked how long mine lasted but I'll be sure to do that tonight; I have been wearing mine in my wrist bands all day today and I lobe the player; I think I'm going to go for a watch or something sooner or later.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 131
So what is the deal with the battery?  Its supposed to have like 24 hours- but a lot of people are having issues like you mentioned above.  Is it just that you can't turn it off?  I must admit this player is appealing to me but a 1 hour battery is a deal breaker for sure.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 131
The battery only seems to drain really fast on me when I have the screen on.  If you spend a lot of time scrolling through the menus, changing songs often, or looking at pictures, the battery life may be a problem for you.  Listening to music with the screen off, I can go 2 hours and the battery is still 80-90% full.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 131
Thats probably what it is. I always hit the sleep button after I turn my music on so the screen stays off as long as possible. Ill run it all day tomorrow and see how long i get with it.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 131

Well in fairness, the battery ran out in just over an hour because I had it on continuously because I was setting up genius playlists.  I think if you listen to music without changing songs it would probably last 8 or 9 hours.  The battery is just dreadful when you turn it on too much.  It will drain very quickly.  But other than that it's a hell of a little player.

Quote:
So what is the deal with the battery?  Its supposed to have like 24 hours- but a lot of people are having issues like you mentioned above.  Is it just that you can't turn it off?  I must admit this player is appealing to me but a 1 hour battery is a deal breaker for sure.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 131
Still, 8-9 hours is hardly the 24 hours they are advertising.

Battery and power[size=10px !important]3[/size]

1. Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
  2. specs_battery20080909.jpg
     Up to 24 hours of music playback when fully charged

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 131
Well you know they recorded that with like... 128kbs mp3 max with absolutely no screen at a low volume with maybe the screen being on for 20 seconds or so; they always do things like that to boost the numbers.

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 131

Very true.  And probably did not have a headphone plugged in.  Still, most Apple products live up to the billing that they advertise with concern to battery life.  I would just definitely tell everyone that reads this to temper your expectations when it comes to the battery.  There's no chance you get 24 hours out of this thing.  But if you can live with that, it's a good player.  Good sound, great FM tuner. 
Quote:
Well you know they recorded that with like... 128kbs mp3 max with absolutely no screen at a low volume with maybe the screen being on for 20 seconds or so; they always do things like that to boost the numbers.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 131
^ Yea. I got this player mainly for use while walking to class or out walking around; I could use my phone but that was getting tiring and with the addition of an iPad (which isn't too portable) I have been using iTunes and the ability to wear this like a watch is awesome and probably the main selling point for me.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 131
I've been wanting a 6G. The battery life is not a big concern for me. I'm actually very impressed with the batteries so far from my various models. I have a 2G shuffle that's 4(or 5??) years old and it's been through years of scorching heat,freezing cold and even got wet at the beach one time and it still goes for over 8~9 hours.

I'm looking at B&H Photo for $170 w/ free shipping.(16GB)

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 131
I haven't timed mine, but I've used it everyday for two weeks(working out for one hour each day) before I had to recharge it.  On the other side of the coin, I drained it from a full charge after using the FM tuner for 5 hours straight.  All in all though, it is my favorite DAP.  Thanks to the small size I actually have it with me a lot more often than any of my other DAPs so I end up listening to a lot more music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back