Nano 6G
Jan 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #31 of 131

Quote:
With regard to battery life, has anyone tried to use the nano 6 with an amp and LOD (I am going to use it with either the slim or the P51) and turn the volume down all the way.  How long will the battery last under that scenario?  Thanks.

if you use LOD then volume is bypassed...line out is constent since it comes directly from the DAC. i get 6-8 hr with my nano but i use the screen quite a bit cuz i dont use play lists and prefer to swich / replay songs manually according to my mood.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #33 of 131
Hey guys, I'm almost ready to buy a 6G Nano to pair with my Pico Slim to try out and I'm thinking that I'll want a low profile LOD. Are there any options for under $50 or so?

Jan 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #34 of 131
I don't know about $50.00.  But the new whiplash Ultra Micro TWag got me really tempted at @120.00 now.  Check it out.

By the way, I'm very interested in putting the same setup together but I'll let you try it out first :wink:  Please let me know your thoughts on it.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #35 of 131

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm almost ready to buy a 6G Nano to pair with my Pico Slim to try out and I'm thinking that I'll want a low profile LOD. Are there any options for under $50 or so?

SendStation makes a cool/compact dock that has both line out and usb out so you would never need to un-dock to charge/ upload, and all you need is a 1/8th inch interconnect. can you solder? a interconnect made with top end components still wont cost much.

FiiO makes a low profile ipod line out called L1, but it kinda feels cheap.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #36 of 131

Quote:
I don't know about $50.00.  But the new whiplash Ultra Micro TWag got me really tempted at @120.00 now.  Check it out.

By the way, I'm very interested in putting the same setup together but I'll let you try it out first :wink:  Please let me know your thoughts on it.

Yeah, I am aware of the Whiplash for $120 but I was hoping to get away for less money. I might just use one of 2 iPod LOD's that I have now and go from there.

I'll let you know what I think. I'd be using Westone 3 or Ortofon e-Q7.

This pic is what got me interested in creating a super small rig...

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #37 of 131
I don't know what that amp is in the picture.  But I already have the Pico Slim and jh13, might as well complete the package, right?  I wasn't that impressed with the Slim in the beginning mainly because of the volume being too sensitive in the high range.  But I grew to like it  SQ since.  With my JH13 and the nano 6, I think it may surprise many other systems.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #38 of 131

Quote:
I don't know what that amp is in the picture.  But I already have the Pico Slim and jh13, might as well complete the package, right?  I wasn't that impressed with the Slim in the beginning mainly because of the volume being too sensitive in the high range.  But I grew to like it  SQ since.  With my JH13 and the nano 6, I think it may surprise many other systems.

that's a shadow!

anyway, with regards to using the nano with an amp, i was only able to clock about 5 hours worth of listening throughout the day! but maybe it's just mine..

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #39 of 131
Are you talking about Nano 6?  It's strange, as using an amp should increase the battery life as the amp in the nano is bypassed.  What amp are you using it with?  Do you use a LOD or headphone out? Also can you comment on how the Nano 6 sounds with an amp?  Thanks.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #40 of 131
@Jalo:
well, the picture greatdane posted is in fact my rig, so that's self explanatory. as to sound, the lineout of the nano's very clean, and overall soundstage is comparable to the 5.5g's. it goes very well with the warm sound signature of the shadow! 

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #41 of 131
Fengtark, thanks for the input.  I also have a P51 so I can expect similar sound stage.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #42 of 131
I have had my Nano 6 gen for about a week.  It is a nice little DAP.  First off battery... no real issues.  I like burning in Apple products about 24-48 hours and saw no issue getting to 24 hours + with just playing 256-lossless music.  Now it does seem like once you start playing with the screen, radio or other apps the Battery life can vary.  But for my uses this is a non-issue.

The sound is great and very similar to the current line of Apple DAPs.  It is right in line with my iPhone 3Gs, possible a bit clearer but it could just be new toy syndrome.  I am a big fan of Apple's current sound sig- so very happy with SQ, especially from such a small device.

I have been using it to run with quite a bit.  The Nike+ is a good tool, although I am not completely convinced of the accuracy.  That is more an issue with Nike+, than the iPod.  I have calibrated it twice but I still think it comes in short on both my distance a mile times.

Overall, I would recommend it- and for me, no issue with the battery life (yet).

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #43 of 131
I think that issue with the Nike + system is sometimes due to your running style perhaps.  I have the same issues some days where it seems to be dead on accurate (or within 10 to 15 feet) and other days it's off by 40 or 50 feet.  But those days I tend to notice that for whatever reason, I am taking shorter strides when I'm running. This almost always happens when I'm running faster or slower depending on how I feel that day. 

But the software within the Ipod is great.  It's a very nice tool to have I think if you like to run.

Quote:
 The Nike+ is a good tool, although I am not completely convinced of the accuracy.  That is more an issue with Nike+, than the iPod.  I have calibrated it twice but I still think it comes in short on both my distance a mile times.  

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #44 of 131
And it really is not that much of an issue.  I may re-calibrate today using a 3 mile trail- and calibrate to 3 miles.  I used the "map it" function on the Nike site and both of my near home routes are almost spot on - either 3 miles or 4 miles almost exactly.  Yet I am coming in per the Nike+ iPod at .20-.30 mile less- on the 3 mile and 4 mile.

So I may calibrate it today on the 3 miler and see if that helps.  Then again the "map it" function could be wrong.  All in all not a real big deal.  However I know I run well under an 8 1/2 min mile, and so far have not clocked one mile under this.  My best is like 8 min 40 sec.  I run at work (I'm military) and we are always sub 8 min- 81/2 depending on what kind of work out we are doing so I find it hard to believe I am that much slower at home.

I am going to try the ipod on my "work" run tomorrow and see what happens.  EDIT: Can you use the Nike+ without the use of headphones?  I just want to wear it as a watch and use Nike+.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #45 of 131
Yes, you can use it with no headphones.  It will be playing music and it will tell you when you've reached a mile and so forth.  I used my wife's Garmin and drove a couple routes around my house also.  I think if you can get within 20 to 30 feet, you shold be pretty good.
I have been using that NIke + system for a few years now and have REALLY loved it a lot, but I am considering going to a Garmin or Tom Tom GPS watch that will track all your miles and calories and heart rate and a whole lot more.  They are just expensive, so I haven't gone down that road yet.  I have worn out a couple of Nike running shoes and may someday want to try a new shoe.  =)

Quote:
 Can you use the Nike+ without the use of headphones?  I just want to wear it as a watch and use Nike+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back