NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
May 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #857 of 1,623
Add me to the list for the m51, I'll be getting mine in the next week. My ears have convinced me this is a definite step up over the gungnir.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #859 of 1,623
Quote:

Haven't heard back, but I'm sure everyone's busy/tired post-Munich.

Thanks for checking in. Do please let us know if/when you hear back. It would be much appreciated. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #860 of 1,623
Has anyone tried i2s via HDMI from OR5 to M51?
I tried but no signal via HDMI.
From M51 data sheet, it said "HDMI provides an encrypted HD audio connection in PCM's native I2S format up to 24 bit 192khz". The Nad M50 music player also offer I2S output via HDMI to match with M51.
So why my M51 doesn't take i2s from OR5?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #862 of 1,623
It seems that it is only going to take hdmi from the M50.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #865 of 1,623
Mine works well with HDMI from my Oppo, MacBook Air and Apple TV2. I have other sources I prefer, but no difficulties using the HDMI inputs.

o

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #866 of 1,623
no problems here also with HDMI out of my macmini to the NAD m51. Perhaps it is a qualtiy control issue. or maybe something the way OR5 handles the data. Never worked with the OR5 so I cant comment on that.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #867 of 1,623
Could the firmware updates, and/or the encryption, have anything to do with these issues
confused.gif

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #868 of 1,623
unfortunately, it seems that NAD may not stand behind their products like other high end companies do. I am still waiting for the answer to my query that "the Monkey" sent to his contact. (BTW, thank you The Monkey). From what i understand NAD is a company known for finding efficiencies in production process, and everywhere else it can cut the fat off. While that is effective for keeping prices low on the front end, support and quality control can suffer. Consider the PWD MK2 as a comparison. PS Audio MSRP is way higher than the m51 (although it could be had for much less) -- quite a bit higher than you would expect when listening to each side by side. PWD is better I think, just not that much better (and I stress I am just talking MSRP comparisons). However, PS Audio has great costumer service. Although various versions of their FW have been released since initial issue of the DAC, these have now stabilized. Most importantly however, whenever I call their support I get a person I talk to and my issues are  addressed. Now, I think that the m51 is def a quality product. I am listening to it right now and I am thoroughly enjoying it! So I don't think any corners were cut on the production of this DAC vis a vis design. However, from what i have heard and in my limited experience, costumer support and quality control pop up as issues here and there. Bottom line for me though, is that if I had an opportunity to purchase this DAC again for the price I paid for it, I would do it, without a doubt. It is a very good DAC. Just dont expect world class support. You get what you paid for.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #869 of 1,623
Quote:
unfortunately, it seems that NAD may not stand behind their products like other high end companies do. I am still waiting for the answer to my query that "the Monkey" sent to his contact. (BTW, thank you The Monkey). From what i understand NAD is a company known for finding efficiencies in production process, and everywhere else it can cut the fat off. While that is effective for keeping prices low on the front end, support and quality control can suffer. Consider the PWD MK2 as a comparison. PS Audio MSRP is way higher than the m51 (although it could be had for much less) -- quite a bit higher than you would expect when listening to each side by side. PWD is better I think, just not that much better (and I stress I am just talking MSRP comparisons). However, PS Audio has great costumer service. Although various versions of their FW have been released since initial issue of the DAC, these have now stabilized. Most importantly however, whenever I call their support I get a person I talk to and my issues are  addressed. Now, I think that the m51 is def a quality product. I am listening to it right now and I am thoroughly enjoying it! So I don't think any corners were cut on the production of this DAC vis a vis design. However, from what i have heard and in my limited experience, costumer support and quality control pop up as issues here and there. Bottom line for me though, is that if I had an opportunity to purchase this DAC again for the price I paid for it, I would do it, without a doubt. It is a very good DAC. Just dont expect world class support. You get what you paid for.

Hm. I'd recommend calling in. I've had nothing but stellar experience dealing with NAD directly over the phone. 

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #870 of 1,623
From what I understand, iS2 and HDMI aren't exactly the same thing. They use the same connector type, but the data transfer is different. I don't think the OR5 is compatible with the NAD M51, but don't quote me on that. I would call and confirm, or shoot an email over to Empirical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back