NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #1,622 of 1,623
Any change in the sound after the recap? I might be able to get the M51 for about 550. If a recap makes an audible change, then I'll go down that route as well.

couple notes

a) big pain in the ass to recap, dont recommend unless you've got the tools (ie, desoldering gun) and patience.

b) I noticed some positive changes early on as I was going section by section, but I dont think I could make a fair comparison in the end without a stock unit to compare to. While it was getting better early on, once I did the largest section before the outputs felt like it took a step back and got harsher - that was probably the caps needing time to settle in or because I nuked the two polypropylene caps above. Today, everything sounds great but because of those two reasons my 'initial impressions' when I wrapped up are worthless now. :weary:

If I were to do it again, I'd do the power board and the section by the ribbon & transistors again first to see if I could repeat that blissful before-&-after I experienced. Then, if bored enough, I'd focus on only replacing the chinese caps in the output area and leave the original Panasonics to save time (and sanity), and see if that combo worked better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back