NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Jul 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #381 of 1,623
yeah you could say that, i have one on loan for a week and its only been one day and I dont want to give it back.

I did a/b testing with my dad last night and he described the NFB2 as " very good" and the NAD as "spectacular"

Have had mine for many months now and put many 100's of hours on it. This is a phenomal dac for the price and I have been loving every minute with it. I have been loosely monitoring this thread, and for only the second time in my audio journey have I not had upgraditis for an extended period of time. And I still don't, which thankfully for my wallet has kept my head-fi hours low.

After all these months I still stand by my impression that the USB input is good but not great. With an OR4/5 in the mix, it's stellar. And FWIW, the last time I didn't have upgraditis was after I got a pair of he90's. :-0

The fact not many have come up for sale show that they are that good. (Bill sold his Metrum!)

So did I.

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #382 of 1,623
I think the D2 would hold its own with any DAC under $5K. But to be honest, I have not done a head-to-head comparison to the M51... I have a D2, and I'm very impressed with it so far. (I'm drving it with an SBT+EDO combo, over USB... It makes very nice music!)

Would love to hear a comparison from someone who has heard both.

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #383 of 1,623
Thank the lawd! Mine is arriving Monday morning. Audio Affair got 15 in today, all but one has been sold already. 

He feels that due to supply/demand the M51 will:
1) be essentially impossible to get for 6 months (at least here in the UK)
2) the price will be going up to £1800-2000

If you can find one, and want one, don't wait about, get it.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #385 of 1,623
My new toy arrived today....just a quick peek before I move it into place.
Very excited about this unit and I was lucky that my dealer was able to get his hands on 2 of them. These are now supposedly backordered till at least 08/15.

Very plain outer box (although it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to deduce what is inside!!)

Very securely packed (double box, thick foam, canvas bag, plastic wrap...)

M51 looks small in comparison to the packaging...

More will be forthcoming, but a date with the Dark Knight is looming this evening.

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #388 of 1,623
Dear All,

My name is Jack Fox, the NAD Product Manager for the UK. Great to hear all the nice things you are saying about the M51.

I can assure you that if you contact your local dealer for the supply of an M51 Direct Digital DAC you will not be having to wait for 6 months to receive one. 

The M51 has been overwhelmingly popular and keeping up with the demand was initially tough however the product is now well stocked and you should have no worries getting your hands on one!

The UK RRP for this product is £1500.

Any questions feel free to give me a shout on here.

Cheers,
Jack Fox

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #389 of 1,623
Thanks Jack, good to have a proper NAD presence on here.

Can you give us details regarding firmware updates for the M51, given people have been given conflicting information that they'll either be dealer-only or via the NAD site? 

Btw guys I have mine now! Haven't had a chance to use it yet as I got it Monday morning and I've been working solidly since. I'm going to re-arrange my room this weekend and plug everything in then. I will say this, the build quality of the M51 feels really high-end, looks lovely:

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #390 of 1,623
Quote:
Dear All,

My name is Jack Fox, the NAD Product Manager for the UK. Great to hear all the nice things you are saying about the M51.

I can assure you that if you contact your local dealer for the supply of an M51 Direct Digital DAC you will not be having to wait for 6 months to receive one. 

The M51 has been overwhelmingly popular and keeping up with the demand was initially tough however the product is now well stocked and you should have no worries getting your hands on one!

The UK RRP for this product is £1500.

Any questions feel free to give me a shout on here.

Cheers,
Jack Fox

Hi Jack,
Any plan to release a black one in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back