NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #394 of 1,623
Hi All,

Firmware updates for the M51 are straight forward and must be carried out by your dealer. If you contact the dealer where you purchased the M51 regarding firmware updates, they can contact our NAD service department for the latest version and should be able to carry out the update within a matter of minutes when you take the unit to the store.

In terms of finishes, as the M51 is part of our higher end 'masters' series which is silver in its heritage, their are no current plans to release a black version.

Does anyone have any questions about the direct digital PCM/PWM conversion process?

Thanks,

Jack Fox
NAD Product Manager

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #395 of 1,623
Why aren't users allowed to update it ? Not every one has their hi.fi store near their house and its very uncovenient having to go to the store every time a new update comes.
Also how can users know there's a new update without having to ask each other what firmware version they have ?

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #396 of 1,623
x2

No dealer near me. Taking it to a dealer for FW update is almost impossible for me.

Why aren't users allowed to update it ? Not every one has their hi.fi store near their house and its very uncovenient having to go to the store every time a new update comes.
Also how can users know there's a new update without having to ask each other what firmware version they have ?

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #398 of 1,623
[size=medium]  I do have three dealers around Virginia / Washington DC area. Two dealers are within 20 min from me. Third dealer a bit further but within acceptable distance to drive there.[/size]
[size=medium] The closest two dealers I called do not have M51 in stock and have no idea what is it, but they claim that if I order one they can have it within few of days.[/size]
[size=medium] The problem is they do not have a loaner program of any kind and there is no financing ether. The dealers have dozens of show rooms with speakers but you can’t bring your rig and try it there ether. For me can not try = no buy. I wish dealers could represent better their vendors and be more helpful. [/size]

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #399 of 1,623
No black, no NAD ! I will  probably still  get one when they reach Richer Sounds' shelves 
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #400 of 1,623
Well that's simple. I will not buy the M51 until all the issues get ironed out. I have no idea where my nearest dealer is and was originally going to buy the DAC interstate.

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #401 of 1,623
Quote:
Well that's simple. I will not buy the M51 until all the issues get ironed out. I have no idea where my nearest dealer is and was originally going to buy the DAC interstate.

What issues do you have in mind? I have been using the M51 for two months now and I have not encountered any problems. I am feeding the USB input from a Apple Macbook Air with OS X Lion and the AES/EBU input from a Denon professional CD player. I could not be happier with the M51.

Jul 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #402 of 1,623
Anything new has updates. :wink: There are no specific issues that I know of but when these firmware updates roll out (and they are) I will be left high and dry. I'm better off waiting.

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #404 of 1,623
WOW! I was about ready to pull the trigger on this DAC but this is a Deal Breaker for me. I was going to order from Audio Advisor. How would they give me an update when they are several hundred miles away? Seriously can you explain why the end user could not do this? It sounds more like a marketing ploy to get the customer back in the stereo shop. BTW I'm so upset by this that this is what it took for me to make my first post since joining here in early 2010.

Quote:
Hi All,

Firmware updates for the M51 are straight forward and must be carried out by your dealer. If you contact the dealer where you purchased the M51 regarding firmware updates, they can contact our NAD service department for the latest version and should be able to carry out the update within a matter of minutes when you take the unit to the store.

In terms of finishes, as the M51 is part of our higher end 'masters' series which is silver in its heritage, their are no current plans to release a black version.

Does anyone have any questions about the direct digital PCM/PWM conversion process?

Thanks,

Jack Fox
NAD Product Manager

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #405 of 1,623
Perhaps the updating procedure was so poorly implemented that the end user could brick the thing if it's not done exactly right, so NAD is making the dealers do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back