NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Jul 31, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #406 of 1,623
Hi guys. 

Seriously considering the M51. The only thing I'm "afraid" of is the fact that it's got some bells and whistles I doubt I'm going to use. Should I factor in the price and look for something else that's "purer" and would give better sound? I'm torn between the M51 and the upcoming Schiit Gungnir, really. 

Got my LCD-2's running balanced, awaiting my new Mjolnir from Schiit and need a dac to compliment. Any thoughts on this? Do mind, I can get a good deal on then nad, bringing the price pretty close to what I can get the Gungnir with USB for (even though I've never used USB much before - always optical). 

Any thoughts for what I have to admit is a Dac newbie? Been using my Dacmagic now for AGES - it's time for an upgrade - but what? :)

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #407 of 1,623
Hi guys. 

Seriously considering the M51. The only thing I'm "afraid" of is the fact that it's got some bells and whistles I doubt I'm going to use. Should I factor in the price and look for something else that's "purer" and would give better sound? I'm torn between the M51 and the upcoming Schiit Gungnir, really. 

Got my LCD-2's running balanced, awaiting my new Mjolnir from Schiit and need a dac to compliment. Any thoughts on this? Do mind, I can get a good deal on then nad, bringing the price pretty close to what I can get the Gungnir with USB for (even though I've never used USB much before - always optical). 

Any thoughts for what I have to admit is a Dac newbie? Been using my Dacmagic now for AGES - it's time for an upgrade - but what? :)

I'm on the fence between the M51 & Anedio D2 for similar reasons; I really like the feature set of the M51, but then I wonder if a more hand made "boutique" product from a small company without the overhead, sales, marketing, distribution network, etc. would yield better results at a similar price point...

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #409 of 1,623
I think NAD might overestimate dealer service in their international network. Is NAD policy allowing dealer to charge consumer for every firmware upgrades? It should be made clear as it could be out of control. I for one will not buy it until it is clearly stated. About to pull the trigger until someone mentioned the upgrade concern, thanks.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #410 of 1,623
guys, I would say the FW bootloader is not using USB and likely flashed to the MCU via some internal interface using hardware and possibly software that the end user is unlikely to have. given the custom nature of the dac conversion process I would think the MCU does more than control start/stop sequencing and input switching.

even if it were by USB I think handing over control of a process that could possibly brick the unit if done incorrectly would be a warranty/support nightmare. I understand why its not popular guys, indeed I do, but I can also see why it could be problematic for the company

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #412 of 1,623
I read earlier in this thread or somewhere that NAD was restricting the M51 to dealer sales and that Audio Advisor was an exception to that policy; I would guess that this update procedure must be a big part of the reason for that restriction.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #413 of 1,623
Hi there,

Any sensible manufacturer I'm sure would not leave the upgrading of a sophisticated piece of equipment to the end user. I have no doubt that the majority of end users could perform the update, however in the interest of warranty and the added value of ensuring the update is done successfully the safest method is to get your dealer to do so.

Once again, if you inform your dealer that you wish to get the latest firmware update, we can provide them with the latest update and should be able to do this within a matter of minutes when you take the M51 in.

For the record, we have only issued one update for the M51 thus far. This was to rectify a minor issue with MAC Mini's and compatibility with HDMI which sometimes caused the MAC to jump. If you do not have a MAC Mini, or have a MAC mini and have not experience any such problems, then their is no need whatsoever to update the firmware.

The beauty of a software defined product is that we have the ability to update and improve compatibility with the latest and future source equipment. Our aim is to make this process as easy as possible but at the same time safeguarding your product.

Kind Regards,
Jack Fox

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #415 of 1,623
Quote:
I think NAD might overestimate dealer service in their international network. Is NAD policy allowing dealer to charge consumer for every firmware upgrades? It should be made clear as it could be out of control. I for one will not buy it until it is clearly stated. About to pull the trigger until someone mentioned the upgrade concern, thanks.

These will be free of charge. I can only speak on behalf of the UK market.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #416 of 1,623
Quote:
Hi there,

Any sensible manufacturer I'm sure would not leave the upgrading of a sophisticated piece of equipment to the end user. I have no doubt that the majority of end users could perform the update, however in the interest of warranty and the added value of ensuring the update is done successfully the safest method is to get your dealer to do so.

Once again, if you inform your dealer that you wish to get the latest firmware update, we can provide them with the latest update and should be able to do this within a matter of minutes when you take the M51 in.

For the record, we have only issued one update for the M51 thus far. This was to rectify a minor issue with MAC Mini's and compatibility with HDMI which sometimes caused the MAC to jump. If you do not have a MAC Mini, or have a MAC mini and have not experience any such problems, then their is no need whatsoever to update the firmware.

The beauty of a software defined product is that we have the ability to update and improve compatibility with the latest and future source equipment. Our aim is to make this process as easy as possible but at the same time safeguarding your product.

Kind Regards,
Jack Fox

Thanks for the update, but many manufacturers leave firmware upgrades to the end user. Most Blue-ray players for example (I have experience with Sony, Samsung and Oppo) let you do so with a direct internet connection, or from a USB stick loaded with the update from the manufacturer's website. I'm sure the M51 is a great-sounding piece of gear, but unless you live near a dealer updates to it will be problematic. Hopefully this flaw will be corrected in the M52 :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #418 of 1,623
Quote:
I read earlier in this thread or somewhere that NAD was restricting the M51 to dealer sales and that Audio Advisor was an exception to that policy; I would guess that this update procedure must be a big part of the reason for that restriction.

I saw that crutchfield is also selling it but they are out of stock.

Aug 4, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #419 of 1,623
Had chime in on this thread. First post. Hi :wink:

I've had the M51 for about 4 weeks now (my second one really).

I've just returned from the Cal audio show as well.

First things first. What is the issue with a firmware update? I performed this with my first unit as it had a remote issue. It's very simple and the NAD support is awesome.

Second. After returning from the audio show and listening to the uber dollar crap (not that this was cheap) I can't be more pleased with this DAC. I've rolled many and nothing comes close. Nothing comes close. Natural. I'll stutter again. Natural. Detailed, dynamic, and seems to bring out the best in whatever
Gear I've thrown at it. I'm listening to Garbage right now as
I type. (no the Group!) what's wrong with you people....

Issues. I simply can't use LiTunes with this DAC, or with anything else for that matter, except an IPOD. Library issues and all. Playing through JRiver though is great and using the HDMI I2S bus through my Oppo BDP95 then to Allnic pre, it's awesome.

Just my 2cents. Everyone's mileage is different.

Can't get JRiver to show me that I'm using a direct mode however. Anyone?

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #420 of 1,623
Quote:
First things first. What is the issue with a firmware update? I performed this with my first unit as it had a remote issue. It's very simple and the NAD support is awesome.

If I understand the discussion so far, the problem is that NAD is insisting that firmware updates can only be done at NAD dealerships, which is not an option for those who purchase over the Internet and inconvenient for those who have to travel.  If you have access to the firmware upgrade online and can freely share the details then I'm many folks will be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back