NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Jul 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #361 of 1,623
I thought about the Auraliti or other Vortexbox solutions, but ultimately I wanted the high capacity HDDs to be elsewhere in the house for noise reasons, plus something like an UnRAID array is a bit more flexible, offers a bit more protection from disk failure (and can still run Logitech Media Server, iTunes server, or feed a Vortexbox via shares). I'm about to wire everything up with a gigabit switch, so the NAS, SBT, Mac, and all the other gubbins are wired and talking to each other over that rather than wifi so shouldn't have any speed problems.

The SBT + EDO does not work with the M51 directly through USB as the DAC doesn't have Linux drivers yet. I think it may work straight up through coax though. The SBT has all these hardware and PSU upgrades via third parties, but I'd rather just add a reclocker. Im going to be getting the UPSmart AG1500W ReGenerator for all my gear anyway so the idea of paying more than the SBT itself for a little linear PSU for it is laughable.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #362 of 1,623
i am running from via usb like so

macbook air >> jkenny mk3 spdif converter >> m51 >> pre >> power >> speakers.

i have not yet tried it without the jkenny as it was already in place and worked out the box via it when i plugged it all in.

also make sure you run firmware 1.39 as thats the latest.

put some high res Nirvana through it last night and i am very happy with the results.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #363 of 1,623
Quote:
I thought about the Auraliti or other Vortexbox solutions, but ultimately I wanted the high capacity HDDs to be elsewhere in the house for noise reasons, plus something like an UnRAID array is a bit more flexible, offers a bit more protection from disk failure (and can still run Logitech Media Server, iTunes server, or feed a Vortexbox via shares). I'm about to wire everything up with a gigabit switch, so the NAS, SBT, Mac, and all the other gubbins are wired and talking to each other over that rather than wifi so shouldn't have any speed problems.

Sounds good sleepwalker.  I am actually doing pretty much just that by using a QNAP 469 Pro NAS in a RAID10 configuration and a PS Audio PWD Mk. II with Bridge.  All of them are wired through Trendnet TPL-402e 500mbs Powerline LAN adapters since my house didn't come wired with CATx.  I'm using eLyric on an old netbook as my music manager and my iPad/Pod to control it.  Before I went with the powerline adapters, my wifi wasn't working well (slow, dropouts, etc.), even with static IPs all around.  But, had the powerline adapters not worked, to take wifi out of the signal mix, I had settled on the Auraliti instead of the Sonore Music server for the reasons mentioned above.  I was going to put the Auraliti in the rack with the external drive behind it so it looked like a normal audio component rather than having a "computer" plugged into my system.

While not completely inaudible, the new HDDs are very quiet.  I have a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex Desk connected to my MacMini at work and I don't even hear it spinning while sitting beside me when the music is not playing unless I really listen for it.  Sitting 12 feet away from my speakers, or listening through my cans, I'd never hear it running.

When I was looking to add a DAC for "computer networked audio" integration 2 months ago, I visited 4 NAD dealers here in the states (2 near me and 2 while I was traveling on vacation).  Even though it was relatively new, none of them, even the Master dealers, had N51 in stock or planned to even get them.  They also weren't interested in ordering one because they would have to order a certain amount of "master series" product to even get one for me.  That left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth because even their dealers weren't interested in the product.  I'm finding more and more that if you live outside of the top 5-6 major metro areas, it's a struggle to find, audition or even buy high end products.  I like to support my brick and mortars but it wasn't going to happen this time.  I could buy from Audio Advisor and that's about all I could find because regular dealers aren't allowed to ship either.  I guess AA, being an authorized internet retailer is allowed to get away with it.  But the PWD with it's bridge flexibility and outstanding sound quality wooed me in and I haven't been disappointed in the least.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #364 of 1,623
Heh, I have no house wiring either, I'm just going to drill some holes and use some trunking. I work in a data centre (it's 24/7, hence the username) so there's plenty of Cat5 and Cat6 cable at various lengths - I got a load of cable sleeving as well as somebody doing an install had just chucked the rest of the reel in the bin - finders keepers!

NAD aren't shipping here much either, very much a 'visit the dealer' affair. Luckily mine should be an exception as they've kept me waiting for so long (about 6 weeks and counting), although it's NAD's fault for not getting enough stock in to meet demand.

Decided on the SBT + EDO to converter to M51 (means I don't need the Mac on to listen). Going to see if I can pick up a 2nd hand AP2 or something, there's plenty of BNiB or mint SBTs floating about here - I'm watching one on eBay right now and if I don't get that I'll go for one of the never-opened ones. Been reading the slimdevice forums and wouldn't mind someone rustling me up the JohnSvenson PSU design - seems a cheaper, more reasoned upgraded than your bog-standard SBT PSU upgrades which cost more than the SBT itself!

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #366 of 1,623
Quote:
The SBT + EDO does not work with the M51 directly through USB as the DAC doesn't have Linux drivers yet.

My Hiface 2 with the same XMOS chipset works out of the box. Which kernel version is installed on the SBT?

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #367 of 1,623
Quote:

My Hiface 2 with the same XMOS chipset works out of the box. Which kernel version is installed on the SBT?

The M51 apparently uses some form extended descriptor in the driver which isn't currently handled by ALSA. There isn't too much info, but you can dig through the thread on the slimdevices forum if you're interested in more info.  It's disappointing as running from the SBT via USB was my initial hope too. No idea whether this is something that will prove to be a fairly quick fix or not.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #368 of 1,623
According to that very same forum, NAD are aware of the issue but will not be looking at it until they've finished with a large project. I believe Triode (of EDO applet fame) can't do much without NAD doing their part of the job, so until the firmware is updated then the M51 won't work. Also, NAD are giving out inconsistent info about firmware updates - some are saying only the dealer can update the firmware (which is dumb, I don't care how much something costs, upgrading software isn't something that should require you to trek back to where you bought something from) and some are saying they will offer it via the website.

Good news for me, the NAD rep should be visiting the store on Friday - I'm no2 on their sales list so guaranteed one of the few M51's that will be coming into the UK, should receive it early next week. NAD are either incompetent at getting supply to meet demand, or they're attempting to create some form of luxury marketing via scarcity/desirability.

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #369 of 1,623
i do hope they fix that SBT bug as i am sick of changing coax between sources and its only been 3 days, being able to run the sbt into its usb port will be perfect. If i can be bothered i may even plug the xbox into it. bit perfect bf3 :D

also got some good hours on mine today, and i am still very pleased.

I kept getting dragged away from the proposal i was working on from home by the music, it was rather pleasant the way songs just grabbed me away from my work.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #370 of 1,623
Quote:
The SBT has all these hardware and PSU upgrades via third parties, but ... the idea of paying more than the SBT itself for a little linear PSU for it is laughable.

Agreed!

If you're comfortable with a soldering iron (just enough to solder a couple of wires), you can "roll your own".

I built mine from an "International Power IHB5-3/OVP" - 5VDC, 3A, LINEAR, REGULATED... (Top-notch specs), then housed it in a "project box" (7x5x3") from Radio Shack.
Power-Supply: ~$42: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/International-Power/IHB5-3-OVP/?qs=0xCm9DOQnC5QT5HsEntN5g%3d%3d
Project Box: ~$7: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062284

I actually put a scope on the output of the power supply... and it is as clean as advertised (while under load): first-rate build-quality & specs!
I'm pretty comfortable saying there's no need to spend $250 on a 5VDC supply that may not outperform that little guy.

Good luck.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #371 of 1,623
Quote:
Might look at the Legato now I think about it - Linux compatible after all, good price, great specs, only care about redbook cd rips...

I'm on the "Wait List" for a (new battery-powered) Legato as well... So, it will be: (SBT+EDO)--> USB--> Legato--> S/PDIF-->DAC.
In this scenario (using the SBT's USB out), there's no need for upgrades/mods for the SBT (the mods help with other outputs, specially if you use the SBT's internal DAC)... In fact, you won't even need a fancy USB cable (just make sure the cable is USB2.0-speed compliant)... With Async USB, the cable is not an issue.

Good luck.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #372 of 1,623
Quote:
The SBT + EDO does not work with the M51 directly through USB as the DAC doesn't have Linux drivers yet. I think it may work straight up through coax though. The SBT has all these hardware and PSU upgrades via third parties, but I'd rather just add a reclocker. Im going to be getting the UPSmart AG1500W ReGenerator for all my gear anyway so the idea of paying more than the SBT itself for a little linear PSU for it is laughable.

Uh, it's working fine for me. Via optical and coax as well, which I tend to prefer as I have my SBT fed by a USB drive.

good luck with your unit,

o

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #373 of 1,623
I was going to get someone to build the John Swenson designed PSU (about $75 worth of parts) because, as I linked to here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?82648-Linear-Power-Supplies&p=586042&viewfull=1#post586042 he feels that, and we're talking a guy that designs some serious electronics here, the SBT's PSU can be guilty of chucking noise back into the mains, which other things can pick up. The PSU is great for the Touch itself, which wasn't the case with earlier SB devices. The other hardware mods are a no-no now I've looked it all up. Bar the EDO, I'm not too fused about some of the other software mods (like turning off the screen etc) because there doesn't appear to be much evidence it improves things other than the usual "I think..."
Quote:
 Agreed!

If you're comfortable with a soldering iron (just enough to solder a couple of wires), you can "roll your own".

I built mine from an "International Power IHB5-3/OVP" - 5VDC, 3A, LINEAR, REGULATED... (Top-notch specs), then housed it in a "project box" (7x5x3") from Radio Shack.
Power-Supply: ~$42: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/International-Power/IHB5-3-OVP/?qs=0xCm9DOQnC5QT5HsEntN5g%3d%3d
Project Box: ~$7: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062284

I actually put a scope on the output of the power supply... and it is as clean as advertised (while under load): first-rate build-quality & specs!
I'm pretty comfortable saying there's no need to spend $250 on a 5VDC supply that may not outperform that little guy.

Good luck.

How much is the battery powered Legato? The original's $500 is pretty good but I read the II would be more... I hope it's not going into AP2 + PP territory - although I may look for a 2nd hand one of those as an alternative (take what I can get).

Quote:
I'm on the "Wait List" for a (new battery-powered) Legato as well... So, it will be: (SBT+EDO)--> USB--> Legato--> S/PDIF-->DAC.
In this scenario (using the SBT's USB out), there's no need for upgrades/mods for the SBT (the mods help with other outputs, specially if you use the SBT's internal DAC)... In fact, you won't even need a fancy USB cable (just make sure the cable is USB2.0-speed compliant)... With Async USB, the cable is not an issue.

Good luck.

Wait, you're using the SBT + EDO via USB into an NAD M51 DAC and it's working fine? Best contact Triode at the slimdevices forum if I were you, as you'd be the only person yet to report the devices handshaking properly - he'll want to see logs and stuff to see why this is the case.

Quote:

Uh, it's working fine for me. Via optical and coax as well, which I tend to prefer as I have my SBT fed by a USB drive.

good luck with your unit,

o

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #374 of 1,623
Quote:
Wait, you're using the SBT + EDO via USB into an NAD M51 DAC and it's working fine? Best contact Triode at the slimdevices forum if I were you, as you'd be the only person yet to report the devices handshaking properly - he'll want to see logs and stuff to see why this is the case.

Nope. I'm using (SBT+EDO) with the Anedio D2 (which does support the SBT's Linux drivers).

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #375 of 1,623
Quote:
How much is the battery powered Legato? The original's $500 is pretty good but I read the II would be more... I hope it's not going into AP2 + PP territory - although I may look for a 2nd hand one of those as an alternative (take what I can get).

It will be more than $500.. But how much more, I don't know for a fact? (I've heard as much as $699, but possibly just $599)... You may inquire directly with ART.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back