NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Jun 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #331 of 1,623
Ok. Thanks mcullinan. I've heard various debate over the SB Touch's ability to be a good digital source. I'd consider a streamer like that from Naim, but I really like the music library functionality offered by the SB using iPeng on my phone. Anyone care to offer an opinion on which would sound better: SB Touch + hi-end DAC (e.g. Naim DAC) vs. Naim streamer?

Best
Furryman

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #332 of 1,623
From what I've read, getting a linear PSU (no need to spend silly money), loading the Enhanced Digital Output app thingy onto the SBT so you can get USB audio output, and then using a good USB to S/PDIF converter gives you a high level of performance from the Logitech device.

Quote:
Ok. Thanks mcullinan. I've heard various debate over the SB Touch's ability to be a good digital source. I'd consider a streamer like that from Naim, but I really like the music library functionality offered by the SB using iPeng on my phone. Anyone care to offer an opinion on which would sound better: SB Touch + hi-end DAC (e.g. Naim DAC) vs. Naim streamer?

Best
Furryman

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #333 of 1,623
Quote:

Best
Furryman

No opinion on the Naim -- though I'm sure either option would sound good -- but the SB Touch w/ EDO is great for the $ and matches up beautifully with the NAD M51. Interface is OK rather than top-shelf, and software can be buggy, but it's a fine package.

o

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #334 of 1,623
Quote:
No opinion on the Naim -- though I'm sure either option would sound good -- but the SB Touch w/ EDO is great for the $ and matches up beautifully with the NAD M51. Interface is OK rather than top-shelf, and software can be buggy, but it's a fine package.

o

Been to the Linn/Naim camp 30yrs ago, will never go down that path ever again, there are bigger bang for the dosh that this stuff!

Sorry, cant help you there!

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #335 of 1,623
Thanks all.

I've got a linear PSU on the SBT, but hadn't considered S/PDIF to USB, and never heard of EDO app! I'll give those a go and see what that's like. And if/when I do get round to auditioning the NAD and NAIM DACs I'll report back!

Best
Furryman

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #336 of 1,623
I think I read that you can't use the EDO app's USB output into the NAD as it's not recognised, but that using that output as your USB to S/PDIF works.

STILL waiting for mine. Audiologica may be used but in Audio Affair's case it's NAD being lame and not delivering any M51s. What man, I want my DAC.

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #341 of 1,623
I should, in theory, have an M51 next week. Here's hoping.

Question for M51 owners. As I'll be connecting my Mac Mini directly, and it'll be a while before I get a decent USB to S/PDIF or AES converter, which is better
a) carry on using the toslink from the Mac
b) USB

Answers on a postcard!

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #342 of 1,623
Quote:

Question for M51 owners. As I'll be connecting my Mac Mini directly, and it'll be a while before I get a decent USB to S/PDIF or AES converter, which is better
b) USB

Answers on a postcard!

Try them both with cheap cables, and then tell us all about it
popcorn.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #344 of 1,623
Quote:

b) USB

Answers on a postcard!

I use the Toslink from my SB Touch w/ EDO and the USB from my MBA (there's a fistful of acronyms). Haven't bothered to extensively A/B the two but can do so from my older Mac. The USB input sounds very good but the optical would be my choice for logistical reasons. With the Rega DAC I strongly preferred SPDIF; with this NAD it's far less clear-cut, thus far in my experience.

o

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #345 of 1,623
I'll probably just stick with the current cable I have (a Fisual Pearl one since it was the shortest cable I could find at the time). I'll probably get myself a converter sooner rather than later anyway... still no idea what to get though. Having a quick look at what ones are cheaper in America since my parents are going to be holidaying there in a couple of weeks and I always give them a shopping list! Won't be an AP or OR though, just too much moolah.

On a semi-related note, about 95% of the electronics for my Linkwitz Plutos are ready, just waiting for a friend to solder it all up and then we can start the fun and games of making a full speaker out of it. Should be a good match for the M51, especially as the Plutos need a pre to control the volume and the M51's one is supposed to be stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back