NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Feb 25, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,292 of 1,623
  Thank god for all the different options of output and volume. The NAD M51 is a magnificent sounding piece of gear, but must definitely be fine-tuned to the other gear to make it sound good.
Right out of the box without trying different options it might sound just 'blah'.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It explains why some people find it uninvolving/boring and some find it a perfect balance to their systems.

I am still pretty impressed by the NAD after two years of ownership.  It continues to feed my NAD to the Stax SR009 + BHSE system.  Gotta love the perfect volume control.  I think I may be able do better soundwise but I'm going to miss out on its SACD via HDMI feature as well as the perfect digital attenuation.

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,293 of 1,623
I feel like contributing to this thread, in my system lowering the volume definitely robes the music of DR and bass slam. 
I try to keep it at 0 db or lower it as little as possible (Yamaha A-S2100 is quite sensitive as XLR is tuned at 2.8 V).  Perhaps others might leverage this info. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,296 of 1,623

What's wrong with the original one and how (in which ways) another one could deliver any improvements?  
I'm just interested
normal_smile .gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,302 of 1,623
Guys, please stay on topic. If you want to debate about cables please move to the Sound Science section.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #1,303 of 1,623
i'm researching a bunch of mid-level DACs...the m51 is on my list and i like what i've been reading, but just not the $2000 price tag...that's a pretty competitive price range there.  but i just saw that some australian shops are selling the m51 for AUD $999! and with the strong US dollar, it would be a great deal for someone in the states. can i convince someone in australia to pick one up for me and ship it to the states for perhaps a small finder's fee?

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,304 of 1,623
  i'm researching a bunch of mid-level DACs...the m51 is on my list and i like what i've been reading, but just not the $2000 price tag...that's a pretty competitive price range there.  but i just saw that some australian shops are selling the m51 for AUD $999! and with the strong US dollar, it would be a great deal for someone in the states. can i convince someone in australia to pick one up for me and ship it to the states for perhaps a small finder's fee?

Check out this listing - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/80215-fs-nad-m51-direct-digital-dac-melbourne-will-ship/

Please note that I do not know that seller, but stereo.net.au is a good forum and the classifieds section there is active. Proceed at your own peril though. Good luck! 
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,305 of 1,623
thanks for the link. I contacted the seller but have not heard back yet. we'll see. I wonder if shops are forbidden to sell outside of Australia...I'd be happy to buy one from a dealer there, but they might not be allowed to do that.

in any case, any clue why these are being discounted so much in Aus? is there an updated model coming soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back