MyST 1866 Bluetooth, Optical, Coaxial, USB DAC/headphone amp impressions thread
Jan 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 67
This is really a very good dac. I wrote a review on 1866ocub (http://www.forum.mycroft.su/index.php?s=&showtopic=1184&view=findpost&p=3179), if I have little more time I will try to translate it into English.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #20 of 67
55cm's a giant leap better than the prototype we played with last year. That's like a difference between going into Earth's orbit vs going to the moon.

Q; though is that 55cm through clothes (or satchel), etc?

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 67
By the way, i done a typo in my last post, i meant 55 inches, it has improved vastly!

now i did not do any major testing, have been mainly focussing on the RE-400 review at the moment but can not help doing all sorts of tests with this. I saw that you guys had reported an antenna 'flaw', yes i guess we could call it a flaw. So i stuck my phone on the desk and had the 1866 in my hand and just wheeled my chair back until i lost the sound and measure from there. If at that distance you move it around too much though, maybe i spun side to side on my chair, it would go patchy. However it is always going to be a stable distance from each other on the go. I will get a bag out a bit later and try its functionality in some more life like situations. I think it will cope in a bag or pocket while phone i hand though and i think you could agree with me in saying that would be a game changer :wink:

PS.

I am thinking that if i i get a wireless transmitter i could go iPhone > Bluetooth > 1866 > Bluetooth > UE9000 that would be a fun rig right :wink:

EDIT:

In my pocket i reckon it was roughly 50 inches i got away from the iPhone. My pocket is of a dressing gown and rather thick. As long as they are both on your body you will be fine.

Just went again and measure a whopping 75 inches away while in my pocket! I lot signal twice during the moving away but regained to stable sound almost instantly!

Measurements are not badly effected by clothes it seems, however they can not pass through your body so if the 1866 is on the other side of your body to the iPhone you lose signal/

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 67
The PortaDAC 1866 has been complete joy to hear over the past two days.  I've been very impressed by the natural tone and spacious sound coming from the amp section.  Not that we shouldn't expect that for $995 
tongue.gif

When I first read that the 1866 can receive 24 /196 via digital input I got excited but upon trying it via USB that doesn't seem to be the case.
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/wp/amplifiers/myst-1866/

Is it possible via coaxial?  Mine didn't come with a manual and there isn't much info out there about the limitations of each input signal.  Or am I missing a driver?  Windows downloaded a driver for the 1866 but maybe there is another one I need.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #27 of 67
Thanks, any more info just ask. I talk to Roman of MyST daily.

That comparison  I have never done while owning both so from memory. The Tera slightly more transparent and the 1866 tiniest bit warmer, smoother, better bass extension and airier with bigger soundstage. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #28 of 67
Wow, this is a good thread to ask info.    

The soundstage of the 1866 was really a pleasant surprise.  I wonder if I'll be in for more of surprise when I try the coaxial input.  USB tends to be the weakest link in terms of input so I'm guessing things get even better with coaxial.  Early impression was that USB was better than blue tooth but will elaborate on this more later.

Quote:
Thanks, any more info just ask. I talk to Roman of MyST daily.

That comparison  I have never done while owning both so from memory. The Tera slightly more transparent and the 1866 tiniest bit warmer, smoother, better bass extension and airier with bigger soundstage. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #29 of 67
Soundstage is amazing right. Was so impressed with my HD580 plugged in!

USB is better than BT with better quality music but with them both on 16/44.1 its rather suprising. Do you agree that with BT the quality is still stellar! And you should try Coaxial for sure!

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #30 of 67
This is my first experience with blue tooth streaming and for it to be almost on par with USB is very good.  There was a little bit of skipping but likely it was due to my iPhone.  I was using the FLAC player app.  I will play around with different distances and music players on my phone.  

For coaxial input into the 1866 I will need to find a suitable cable.  Any suggestions?  Standard coaxial connector (RCA) is not the mini-stereo sized input on the 1866.  
I vaguely recall that coaxial and RCA interconnect can be used interchangeably so I would need a RCA to mini mono cable?  For my computer I would need a USB to SPDIF converter or if I use a iPod dock there will be a standard coaxial output into the mini coaxial input of the 1866.   

Quote:
Soundstage is amazing right. Was so impressed with my HD580 plugged in!

USB is better than BT with better quality music but with them both on 16/44.1 its rather suprising. Do you agree that with BT the quality is still stellar! And you should try Coaxial for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back