MYSPHERE 3.1 "FAQ's"
Mar 6, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #122 of 165
Thank you John for the clarification!
I was astonished before!
:)
Yes - so many switches, so little time and diminishing eyesight, LOL.

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #123 of 165
In an earlier post I mentioned that, in my view, the Moon 430HA amp (which includes analogue crossfeed) works very well with the 3.2. Having spent some time now with the SPL Phonitor xe amp (which also includes analogue crossfeed), I wanted to mention that I think it works at least as well. The Phonitor seems to me to dig out a little more detail, without seeming harsh. The Moon sounds a little darker in AB testing. With the Phonitor, the 3.2 seems to me to be capable of marvelous instrument separation - I've not heard its equal. But with either amp, I'm more convinced than ever that the 3.2 phones are the most satisfying I've encountered for well recorded classical music.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #124 of 165
I was asked to say a little more about the 3.2/Phonitor combination. To my ears, this combination conveys a sense of effortless headroom and airiness. I guess it provides a little more transient information than other combinations I've tried and enjoyed. When taken together with crossfeed, I'm inclined to think this contributes to a strikingly tangible sense of the performance space - which is something of particular importance to me as I think it's at the heart of creating a sense of 'being there' at a performance. The additional information doesn't so much affect low or high frequency extension, as it does depth of sound stage, and three-dimensionality. With the best recordings, the presentation of texture, timbre and dynamic range - the density of these qualities - is uncannily similar to that which I hear at a recital or concert.

Jun 4, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #127 of 165
Most recently I've been using my 3.2 with a Sennheiser HDV820 amp, with remarkably good results I think. My guess is that the ~45ohm output impedance of the amp produces a useful spectral tilt lifting gain in the phones at around 40-50 Hz. I find the result is excellent, allowing me to listen with the soundframes wide open, while maintaining low frequency energy. While the Sennheiser doesn't give me a crossfeed circuit (which I generally prefer), the wide open position of the frames compensates to some extent, and really does present an extraordinary, unfettered image which I find quite addictive! I've always thought the Sennheiser is a great amp with the HD800/HD800S, and it seems equally well suited to the 3.2.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #128 of 165
Hi, technically I totally agree what you are wrote!
The higher the amp's output impedance is, the more bass around 50 Hz you will get with the MYSPHERE 3.2. However the sound pressure maximum level at low frequencies decrease. But if you do not listen to music too loud, that's fine!
BR heinz

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #130 of 165
For the schiit Ragnarok or Mjolnir, would you recommend 3.1 or 3.2?
The shiit amps has below 1 ohms as output impedance to the headphones.
The MYSPHERE 3.2 would work perfectly with that amps.
Take care, that you do not use to high gain, as these headphones are quite sensitive!
BR heinz

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #131 of 165
The higher the amp's output impedance is, the more bass around 50 Hz you will get with the MYSPHERE 3.2. However the sound pressure maximum level at low frequencies decrease. But if you do not listen to music too loud, that's fine!
BR heinz
Thanks. I try to listen at levels that seem natural (what I hear at a recital, or in the concert hall). Mostly I listen to chamber music, with the occasional orchestral work, so I guess the levels are relatively low by most standards. I certainly haven't noticed any loss of power at low frequencies - quite the opposite actually - so my guess is it's a pretty good match for small-scale classical music.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #132 of 165
The Shanling M30 is a modular system. And a few months back, they introduced a power amp module: output impedance of 1.6ohm (balanced); balanced output power at 3.8W @32ohm. Drives the 3.2 wonderfully. :) Enjoying a nice Sunday morning with it.

320A9B00-FC80-495E-9AED-70FEAAFAD7B0.jpeg

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #133 of 165
BR heinz
I think I should add also that I think the Phonitor and Moon amps are still a significantly better match with the 3.2.

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #134 of 165
I think I should add also that I think the Phonitor and Moon amps are still a significantly better match with the 3.2.
@jamesjames which Phonitor amp are you using? The original higher output impedance one sounds great too at Casa Buchanan.

Jun 5, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #135 of 165
@jamesjames which Phonitor amp are you using? The original higher output impedance one sounds great too at Casa Buchanan.
Hello John. I have the current Phonitor xe - I think the output impedance is vanishingly low (<0.5 Ohm). I haven't tried other SPL amps - but on the basis of my experience with the xe I'm not surprised you like yours. I haven't actually been choosing amps for the 3.2 based on output impedance - the Phonitor, Moon and Senn just happen to be amps I've collected over the years for my HD800/HD800S phones. I hadn't used the Senn amp for some time - when it occurred to me to experiment with the higher impedance. I didn't really know what to expect - was genuinely surprised it sounds as good as it does. But it doesn't really compare with the other two amps - either with the 3.2 or HD800. James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back