My wife told me to pick out some headphones!
Jul 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Lurkumaural

1000+ Head-Fier
I just bought my wife some HD 25-1 that are in the mail right now.  In the meantime, I was supposed to pick out some cans for bday/Father's Day gift, and got stuck reading head-fi threads instead.  What I've realized is that I could use some input, even clearly biased input, from some of the proponents, fanboys, and critics of some of these models.

The goal is to judiciously pick one pair for the year.  I mean, I can probably have a few if I want, but I'm trying not to become one of you people.  I kid, I kid.  I feel like restraint is part of the torturous fun of this hobby.

I like all kinds of music (cliche, I know, but it happens to be true) but do the most listening to hip hop (relatively bass-light, oddly), soul, jazz, and OSTs (John Williams type stuff, Elfman, Schifrin, Morricone, and I love Goblin). My prefs are all over the map in terms of what I want to listen to, where, how, etc.  I actually figured I'd let the headphones guide me in how I'll use them.  They're not gonna be the last pair, after all.

I've been reading threads and reviews for about a month now.  I made a list of what I like, shortened it, and put it here.

Here's what I was thinking of getting, so you can see the spectrum of technology and price.  A lot of eBay involved.  I tend to assign greater utility value to items that come farther below MSRP/MAP/whatever.
• Pro 900 for $370 from Adorama (or else eBay) ...any other Ultrasones fine, but if they're not 900, hopefully they can go unamped.
• AH-D2000 (probably on a path to upgraded cups)
• AH-D5000 for $360-$500 depending on where
• SRH940 for as far under $300 as I can go.  There's an OB on electronics-expo for less than $200 I think.  (Don't buy it!)  Someone bought it.
• Q701 for $300 on Headroom, maybe less elsewhere.  K702 or 701, in that order, otherwise.
• ATH-AD900 from eBay for like $220
ATH-AD700 even.  (I've read the hype.)
ATH-AD1000 for $400-$450 on eBay (unless someone can recommend a retailer)
ATH-AD1000PRM?  I had read a bit about them here and on Headfonia, but not enough.
ATH-AD2000 gotta be under $500 or else amp budget goes to $0
AH-D7000 same as AD2k
Q460 mainly because of the 3-button remote.  I haven't gotten great intel on head-fi about these.
SR60/80/MS-1 (because I could mod these to kingdom come, right?)
T#0RP  (will mod unless I really really like them as is; damping notwithstanding)
HD 25  I can't wear wife's on the train if she really does want me to make it pink and sparkly.  Late night movies, though, sure.  (She really does want them pink and sparkly.)
HD 555/558, suggested by aRRR.

What I don't want:
• HD 6#0 because I heard them and they're nice and I like them, but I'm not full of want.  Maybe Father's Day next year?  Or someone convince me?
• ATH-M50 for the same reason.
• Grado above SR80.  For the same reason.  I want to know that I'm into the house sound first.
• vintage.  I have some.  I will have more.  I buy those as I find them. Recommendations welcome anyway.
• IEMs.  I mean, I really really want UE10, 11, or RM, but it's not gonna happen any time soon.

Of these, I've heard the Grado (hi and low end, but not middle), D7k, HD 25, HD 600 and 650, and ATH-M50 at meets and informal encounters.  So, not much.  My friends and family are not audiophiles and I only really started the hobby this year, despite having an intense pro audio hobby many years ago.

I gravitate toward large closed cans.  I do own some open, and I really like the spatial difference, so I'm looking at better opens than I have.  With material (music or movies) that's not bassy, I tend to want gear that will provide the bottom end.  I'm willing to have my mind changed about that.

As far as amps: I use my trusty (old!) Presonus Firebox out of my MBP most of the time I wanna amp, or else unamped out of my iPhone 4 or MBP.  I have a CMoy that I don't really use at this time.  I am looking at an E9, Sparrow, CKKIII, Crack, others, it's wide open.  This may help inform my headphone decision, but I don't care if it does because I know I can drive anything dynamic now and decide on an amp later.

I think my problem has been that the more I read, the more cans I think I want, even for the purpose of this thread's "pick one" concept.  Reading about amps just made me dizzy.  So I stopped reading to post today.

Input?

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 19
Sennheiser HD555, I found them to be killer cans for the price and used these for years (Especially with OSTs). I upgraded to the HD598 since the pads worn out but the improvement is marginal IMO. So maybe go for the HD558, you really cant go wrong with these.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 19
Hmm, will try to comment on at least some of that list:

1. Pro 900 (or any ultrasone) will have the biggest bass, but can sound "artificial", they all have recessed mids to varying degrees. Fantastic for electronic, not so much for slower music (vocal/jazz/classical)
  2. Of the Audio-Technicas, the AD900 is probably your best bet, they are very quick and full sounding and great all rounders, albeit a bit bass light. The AD700 is FAR too bass light and thin sounding. The upper models have very polarising sounds, and you would have to wait for a second hand AD2000 for your budget.
  3. Of the Denons, the D7000 will be tough to find for that price now that it has been discontinued (I think? Sure I read it somewhere...). D5000 needs quite a bit of modding to tighten up the sound (see: MarkL mod).
  4. SRH940 has been getting good reviews, but would be very analytical

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
Hmm, will try to comment on at least some of that list:

1. Pro 900 (or any ultrasone) will have the biggest bass, but can sound "artificial", they all have recessed mids to varying degrees. Fantastic for electronic, not so much for slower music (vocal/jazz/classical)
  2. Of the Audio-Technicas, the AD900 is probably your best bet, they are very quick and full sounding and great all rounders, albeit a bit bass light. The AD700 is FAR too bass light and thin sounding. The upper models have very polarising sounds, and you would have to wait for a second hand AD2000 for your budget.
  3. Of the Denons, the D7000 will be tough to find for that price now that it has been discontinued (I think? Sure I read it somewhere...). D5000 needs quite a bit of modding to tighten up the sound (see: MarkL mod).
  4. SRH940 has been getting good reviews, but would be very analytical

D7000 wasn't discontinued, you're thinking about a post that mentioned a supply shortage in London.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 19
Heya,

You sound like a future Ultrasone Pro 900 user.

They're not just for electronic music. The bass is low and tight. This comes in handy with all musics. It comes in a hard carrying case with two detachable cables (two lengths, two connection sizes). It also comes with two sets of cloth pads so you can replace them if they get worn already or alternate should you need to wash for any reason. Also comes with a CD with some incredible recordings. The thing about music is that even if you have a nice sound stage, if music isn't recorded in a way that takes advantage of sound stage, you never really realize. It's like when you hear a binaural recording. Anyhow, the CD that comes with the Pro 900's has some great recordings of natural sounds, music, classical, choir, and some artificial things too in various 20 tracks that show off the amazing sound stage that the Pro 900 has for a closed headphone. When you hear it, you'll wonder how it has a sound stage at all being closed. Anyhow, it's just a nice accessory to get to know your headphones with so that you know what they're capable of. My particular favorite is a recording at the beach on the CD. You feel like you're laying on the sand facing the waves and just listening. It's amazing.

No amp required.
Gorgeous style.
Folds.
Big cups.

Very best,

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 19
@aRRR: Open Senns below HD6##?  Never made it onto my radar.  I'll have to do some more reading about them.  Or find a demo model somewhere to audition.

@Clownzor:  Your ATH-AD700 observation is new to me; as I said, I did read a bunch of hype about them.  Interesting.  If I had one of the Denons, they'd get damping and pad mods probably immediately after an attended burn-in.  I fully expect the SRH940 to be analytical; like my beloved studio cans, but hopefully much better.

@MalVeauX:  I now want the Pro 900 a whole lot more than I did when I posted.  Everything you said made me nod.  I didn't get that in the many Pro 900 threads.  How in the world did you do that?  It was sales-pitchy, which I usually dislike, but now I'm like "ooh, hard case and spare parts!" as if these are the only headphones that come with them. 

FWIW, the Pro 900 was at the top of my list because of the intense devotion some head-fiers have to them.  Ironically, the M50 is on my Do Not Want list for the same reason.  You see how research can only complicate the issue?

I believe that every item on my list is a sound choice, even on my Do Not Want list, with perhaps the exception of the Q460, which for some reason of morbid curiosity I cannot get out of my head.  I should probably start eliminating stuff, starting with that one.  And the SR60 et al.  I supposed I'll pick one up when I'm inspired to do so.  Making edits now.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 19
Well HD6## need amping while the HD5## dont need it.

I dont think you can find any closed cans that match the HD5## series in the same price class. The only closed cans I heard which I really liked was the Ultrasone Edition 8. (The Pro 900 is very good as well but cannot remember much from it, if you want closed and dont mind their "cheapish" feel/ looks go for those.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Well HD6## need amping while the HD5## dont need it.

I dont think you can find any closed cans that match the HD5## series in the same price class. The only closed cans I heard which I really liked was the Ultrasone Edition 8. (The Pro 900 is very good as well but cannot remember much from it, if you want closed and dont mind their "cheapish" feel/ looks go for those.

Pro 900, cheapish? I respectfully disagree. They certainly feel quite solid, and looks are entirely subjective. I for one find them very good looking, but that's my perspective, and I don't make it a general opinion.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 19
They are a very robust headphone but they don't do it for me in terms of looks/feel. Thats OK, I love the look of my K1000 but I know a lot who will disagree
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
You sound like a future Ultrasone Pro 900 user.

They're not just for electronic music. The bass is low and tight.

No amp required.

I disagree. Ultrasones are geared towards electronic listening, in fact in comparison with neutral headphones they are overly bassy and metallic sounding... while this works well with electronica (I love them) they don't sound great with real instruments. In addition unamped they are loose and sibilant, this has been discussed in depth before but the pro series really do benefit from amping because of the heavier drivers. The HFI-580/680/780 work much better unamped albeit not as detailed as the pro series however you still get all the fun snappy bass and less of those screeching highs.

Ultimately whatever headphones you end up with simply gives you a means to listen to your source, if that sucks the more detail driven headphones will expose those faults. A warmer headphones (which rules out excessively bright Ultrasones and Grados) will cover up these faults; Denon D2000, AD900, RX700, HD 25.

If you're planning on upgrading your source and buying a decent desktop amp down the road then really anything goes, I'd point you more towards open/semi-open headphones as you'll generally get a better bang for your buck. Beyerdynamic DT880, I can't not recommend those as I use them daily. DT990 for less mids and more bass. Sony SA5k or AD2000 for a really snappy detail driven experience. HD600 for a slightly more mellow neutral, HD650 to add some extra bass. HD800 and T1 if you're feeling rich.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #11 of 19
@Graphicism: I promised myself I'd satisfy my Beyerdynamic curiosity eventually.  This means staying well away from their website
wink.gif
.  Same goes for HD650.  I will have one.  Now is not the time.  Probably after I've bought or built something large and tube-driven.  This might require moving us out of this tiny apartment into a place with a room for just my crap.  Things will have to change.  So there it is.

I'm into revealing headphones.  I'm not afraid of exposing my signal path considering that at this point most of my listening is all digital up until the headphone out.  I really should try something more "musical," but it's not like I have to use one to cover up my sound.

HD800 or T1 if I'm feeling rich, indeed.  I will start that thread further down the road - "My wife told me to pick out $1000 headphones!" or "I'm out on my ass now!  What will I buy first?"  Meanwhile, look at my price range.  Averaging <$300, higher if I can get the right headphone for far enough below street price.  I'll be there for a while, considering how rich the mid-fi market is.

I think at this point the frontrunners in my search are the Pro 900, AH-D#k, 701, maybe SRH940 (due mainly to it being the studio headphone I wish I had ten years ago).  All closed, save for one.  Old habits.  I'm deciding based on which ones I find myself coveting prior to hearing.  Everything on my list is something I would like to have.  I thought it was important to show myself one headphone that will keep me happy for a while, but really I'm pretty sure picking one will just make me also want the others on the list.

Any Slum Village fans out there?  In the last verse, Elzhi says, "I wish my arms was long enough to hug you all at the same time."  Describes this hobby to me perfectly.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 19
Heya,

Wow, quite the list there.

Pro 900's - Clarity, bass. Closed phones that will give you clean, low end bass, good tight highs. I run mine off a tube a love them for nearly everything. Primarily for electronica and portable use for me.
AKG701's - Clear, detail, analytical, very bass light. You may not like them for music listening rather than music analyzing if that makes sense. They're great cans, but if you need to feel and hear the low end spectrum, these are not for you yet (I wouldn't suggest these are first headphones).
SRH940 - Open, good everything, comfortable, has some good bass. If this wasn't on the list, I'd be suggesting the Beyer DT990 600ohm. I still recommend it.

If you're going open, I can't help but recommend the DT990 or the SRH940. If you want closed, the Pro 900.

Very best,

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
@Graphicism: I promised myself I'd satisfy my Beyerdynamic curiosity eventually.  This means staying well away from their website
wink.gif
.  Same goes for HD650.  I will have one.  Now is not the time.  Probably after I've bought or built something large and tube-driven.  This might require moving us out of this tiny apartment into a place with a room for just my crap.  Things will have to change.  So there it is.

If I understand you correctly you want a Beyerdynamic/Sennheiser but for some reason don't believe you're ready?

The basics of headphones is any headphone will benefit from amping, and all devices be it sound cards, ipods or receivers all have amps of some sort, otherwise you wouldn't hear anything. So the question is how good amplification your source already has and would that suffice until you can afford to upgrade, my guess would be absolutely. In my opinion it's backwards buying a subpar headphone simply because you don't have the means to run a complete setup. You mention not having the room but in most cases they're no bigger than a hardback book. The Zero DAC I mentioned (I own one and love it) has a built in amp that would be sufficient to power a 600 Ohm headphone, coupled with a basic built-in op-amp DAC you'd be set... until the upgrade bug bites you. From that point on you're looking at good solid-state and tube amps which will add some body and tone, discrete DACs that will clear up the quality, like the icing on a cake.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 19
I want to get into Beyer because I read these great things about them but managed to spend probably one minute listening at the last meet.  I was on the Manufaktur website last month and almost pulled the trigger.  I did a bunch of searches on head-fi and ended up more urgently wanting other phones instead. My OP mentioned had I actually started off with a long list of potential next buys, but shortened it for the thread.  That's all.

As for the Sennheiser open cans, I feel like there's a pair somewhere that is making its way toward me, in an existential sort of way.  When it presents itself, I will get it.  Basically saying I'm looking for a steal.

So, in a way, I'm not ready.  To plunk down for those particular models.  My next purchase will be a different headphone.  That simple.

I live in a 2BR apartment with my wife and two kids.  We have a pile of strollers menacing the boys' room.  Our shelves are full and probably have identity crises.  I have boxes of headphones, boxes of headphone and amp parts, DIY tools, boxes of gadgets, and that's not even counting the recording gear and instruments I tetrissed into my old closet at my parents' house.  At least one box of headphones has to go there too.  Sure, it was my wife who suggested I have new cans for my birthday, but I understand when she also tells me I gotta let go of some of my accumulated stuff or otherwise makes it sound like one headphone purchase a year is monumental.  Sure, your Zero is small, as is my Firebox and my CMoy and all my hard drives and my spindles and bags of Neutriks... see what I'm getting at?

I've definitely been feeling the upgrade (or even simply the acquire) bug.  I've been trying to temper my enthusiasm with restraint.  That's why I started a thread sounding like I don't know what I want.  There's stuff I want, I can't have it all, so then suddenly it's a bigger decision than "oh, well that's a good deal."

Something like the "last headphone" or "one headphone" threads, but at least a little less epic.

Dude, I'm exhausted and way caffeinated. Let me know how much I've failed to make sense and I'll be back tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back