My Westone 3 / Sennheiser IE8 dilemma
Jan 24, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #46 of 116
well i have neither and no great plans to get either.

however id vote IE8 even though i actively chose to get the IE7 over them as on here ive heard far more complains about the W3 than i have about the IE8. the only thing that really put me of getting them was i dont like a ton of bass but id sooner have that than have the issues people have moaned about the W3 particularly the sibilance.

edit: i didint vote though as i havent heard either

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #47 of 116
Everyone see what Screamager did? Voted, and then thoroughly compared them and described why one was picked over the other.

We need more of that.

EDIT: The OP has basically made up his mind, so I don't think that this is for him as much anymore. But I think this would still benefit a lot of people who are making a decision on which one to get.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #48 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for proof, here are my Sennheiser IE8's....

ie8_hires.jpg

Nice try.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #49 of 116
Lol. +2 points for Jajo.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #50 of 116
Well...this is a touch one since the Westone has a very unique 3 way system working. The IE8's have more soundstage, but the 3's are more upbeat.

Both are great depending on personal liking.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #51 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...this is a touch one since the Westone has a very unique 3 way system working. The IE8's have more soundstage, but the 3's are more upbeat.

Both are great depending on personal liking.

You have heard both?

EDIT: If so, do you prefer one over the other?

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #53 of 116
Wow...can't believe this topic is still HOT~~~ I got so tired of this, so I bought both IE8 and W3, why don't everyone just buy both and send back the one he/she (minority) don't like...they are selling IE8 on Amazon, just buy it, and if you don't like it, feel free to return ^ ^

To me, its all about preference~

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #54 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man. This could stir up some (more) Westone 3 vs. IE8 controversy if you go back on your final decision to crown the Westone 3 king
biggrin.gif
. I don't know if I will get to hear the Westone 3 ever. It doesn't bother me much whether I will or not because I am so sure that the Westone sound signature isn't for me personally. But based on your extensive review, I was pretty sure that the Westone 3, to you, had the perfect sound signature. Has that changed?

Yes David, your review was written with so much authority, that I was sure the Westone 3 was crowned the new King of IEM's. I know this is a crazy idea, but why don't you have a bunch of your friends who have never heard either of them weigh in with their opinions? Just don't coach them on what to listen for. We all hear differently and it could yield interesting results.

...uumm, if you need volunteers...

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #55 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes David, your review was written with so much authority, that I was sure the Westone 3 was crowned the new King of IEM's. I know this is a crazy idea, but why don't you have a bunch of your friends who have never heard either of them weigh in with their opinions? Just don't coach them on what to listen for. We all hear differently and it could yield interesting results.

Wow, X2. Great idea.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #56 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I am ticked off about is the lack of credibility on some of these posts because of posters like you. Your opinions on these polls do not hold any value because you do not have any experience in the subject. I have no issues with you in Shure threads or other non-heated topics. But when I see your numerous bogus posts in every Westone thread I read, it gets old real quick. The thread ends up being just a camp A vs camp B flame war, lacking any useful information. Just look at how many arguments you were involved in recently (ex feather, spad, ...), and in the end, it gets nowhere.

This should pretty effectively end the argument. I stopped reading at this post, so let's catch up and find out. Oh, fun!

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #58 of 116
I have tried both and prefer the se530
tongue.gif
. Hey that's reasonable is it not? i prefer the mid forward on the Shure Se530. i mean, the 530 is still in the king of the IEM world. But out of the two, i prefer the Westone 3. It's just more to the "my cup of tea" compared to the IE8.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #59 of 116
well i've been rather fortunate to have heard them both..

here are my thoughts (note i own neither):

Westone 3 sounded really nice and balanced, it carries the same sound signature from the um2 and seems to lack any sparkle.. if you like flatter sound it'd probably be this... and its really comfortable and great isolation.

IE8 i was skeptical about this pair at first, as the isolation with the stock earplugs was rather poor (though i think it would isolate much better with complys). i hopped around different genres of music, and it was really really good. balanced like the westone 3 but more oompf, more body, sounded better than the tf10 for that matter. it was comfortable and non protruding too, just the isolation that was questionable.

i would think that if you can get the IE8 to fit right, then in my humble opinion i would say the IE8 wins.. pretty much hands down..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back