My Westone 3 / Sennheiser IE8 dilemma
Jan 17, 2009 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Well folks. As many of you have read, I love both the Westone 3s and the Sennheiser IE8. Innitially I thought I prefered the IE8, but quickly realized I prefered the W3. Now I'm beginning to wonder if that's really the case as the IE8 keep proving to be an enjoyable listen over and over. I'm jsut not sure. I'd love to know other people's opinions who have heard both. Of course my ears will dictate to me which I prefer eventually......but I can't help but be interested in others who own or have tried both for an extensive listening period.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 116
I got the Westone 3 last week and did not like them very much (my impressions can be found on the W3 appreciation thread), although I seem to be in a minority there. I returned them to earphonesolutions at a 15% loss and have ordered a pair of Sennheiser IE8 which I hope to receive in the office on Monday. I really hope to like them better than the W3 since the place I ordered them from (iheadphones.co.uk) will not accept returns on IEMs. If I don't like them I will either give up on IEMs altogether and give in to wearing cans (buying some HD25-1 II) or maybe take another risk and try some Etymotic er4p which people seem to review as having a more analytical sound (which is what I tend to enjoy).

I will post my impressions of IE8s once I get to audition them. However I don't really understand your request for comparisons of the two if you already own them, I think that should be easy enough for you to decide, what other people think should not matter to you if you can compare them in person. I really hope they are not so similar as to be such a hard decision, otherwise I fear I will not like the IE8.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a related note, most of the people who post about the greatness of IE8 are from Europe.

People in the States are a little more reluctant to drop $450 on them. In Europe, they're something like $220.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People in the States are a little more reluctant to drop $450 on them. In Europe, they're something like $220.

On another IE8 thread, someone said Soundearphones has them for low 300 with a code--supposedly SEN25.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well folks. As many of you have read, I love both the Westone 3s and the Sennheiser IE8. Innitially I thought I prefered the IE8, but quickly realized I prefered the W3. Now I'm beginning to wonder if that's really the case as the IE8 keep proving to be an enjoyable listen over and over. I'm jsut not sure.

Oh man. This could stir up some (more) Westone 3 vs. IE8 controversy if you go back on your final decision to crown the Westone 3 king
biggrin.gif
. I don't know if I will get to hear the Westone 3 ever. It doesn't bother me much whether I will or not because I am so sure that the Westone sound signature isn't for me personally. But based on your extensive review, I was pretty sure that the Westone 3, to you, had the perfect sound signature. Has that changed?

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ya I know. That's why I think it is misleading to read the 100+ IE8 vs W3 threads. I'll bet most Europeans who said they have tried both really didn't. How many posts have you seen that actually had pics of them side by side held by the poster? I haven't seen one.

If I lived in Europe I'd be all like OMG IE8 PWNZ!! as well just to rub it in since Europe usually gets a price markup over everything.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 116
Quote:

I'll bet most Europeans who said they have tried both really didn't. How many posts have you seen that actually had pics of them side by side held by the poster?

That is a fairly brash assumption there.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 116
I wish I could have this kind of dilemma.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a fairly brash assumption there.

most, not all. But picking the true honest IE8 vs W3 reviews is like finding a diamond in the rough. You have to agree with the trend going on here, as even the OP writes "you solemnly swear that you have heard both".

If someone really did in fact had both and reviewed it side by side like so many claimed to have done, why are there no pics? They claimed to have spent all the money in acquiring both, all the time + effort in listening to them, yet no pics of both of them on a table? Think about it.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 116
Quote:

On a related note, most of the people who post about the greatness of IE8 are from Europe.

i disagree with this generalized statement. there are plenty more members in the US that are getting their hands on the IE8 and are raving about them.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 116
Quote:

If someone really did in fact had both and reviewed it side by side like so many claimed to have done, why are there no pics? They claimed to have spent all the money in acquiring both, all the time + effort in listening to them, yet no pics of both of them on a table? Think about it.

What exactly are you getting at? Are you just calling the majority of European Westone 3 and IE8 owners liars simply because they like the IE8 more and didn't post pictures as proof?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back