My Westone 3 / Sennheiser IE8 dilemma
Jan 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #31 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could have this kind of dilemma.

I lold.

x2

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jogiya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And let me tell you, IE8's out of the box sound awful, so prevent bad first impressions, play some music for a few hours before listening to them :p
I know that because i broke the nozzle of the first pair i got.. and when i heard the new replacement pair, it sounded really bad to me.. so i left them on the side with music on for 4-5 hours and now they sound beautiful..

Same here. My first set of IE8 got crushed. The second set sounded awfully out of the box. After about 10-20 hours the sound was great again.

@forsberg: It's simply not true that mostly europeans do prefer the IE8. Mainly users who have paid much more for their IE8 than europeans do praise the IE8. Yes, the opinion about a product is price dependent, but in the other direction. The higher the price the better the opinion about the product. In the main German hifi discussion group the IE8 IMO is largely underestimated because of it's relatively low price in Germany.

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #33 of 116
I keep seeing the poll count for each side going up, but very few supporting comments. Not to be pushy, but anyone care to change that?
confused.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #34 of 116
Personally I tend to believe that after the first few votes, others are just made by the fan boys (from both sides just to be fair... please don't hurt me...) :)

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #35 of 116
My dilemma is between these pro-con factors:

IE8: Cheaper by $100, Sells it at local store NCIX
The problem is the huge chunky square design that looks ugly TO ME, and the real problem is findig a good fit. I don't want to buy $400 product and have it not work properly cuz of the fit.

Westone3: Stable fit and looks nice.
Have to buy from marcopolo through internet transactions, many people complained about silbilance issues which i would NOT want to risk experiancing.

So all and all .. if IE8 would just fit I would get them hands down. But now I might have to go through so much trouble to get Westone 3 and even then i might have issues with the sound.

What do you all think about this?

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #36 of 116
There are not that many sibilance complaints compared to other positive comments. Its just that people post more and speak up louder when they experience bad things, aswell as some of the people with sibilance problems are very active users
wink.gif

I experience no sibilance problems with my w3.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #37 of 116
That's excellent to know soyama, and putting that aside there's still the $100 big ones and the troule of ordering online. Another that I forgot to mention is that someone said the Westone3 would sound better with an amp. Where as the ie8 sounds great on it's on.

Jan 20, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #38 of 116
Most people who have had sibilance issues with the Westone 3's have been able to overcome with through tip selection.

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #39 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent604 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My dilemma is between these pro-con factors:

IE8: Cheaper by $100, Sells it at local store NCIX
The problem is the huge chunky square design that looks ugly TO ME, and the real problem is findig a good fit. I don't want to buy $400 product and have it not work properly cuz of the fit.

I've told you this once already....the IE8 is not $100 cheaper once tax and shipping are added. If you have to pay PST and GST you're looking at $402 CDN including shipping. Marcoplo is $449 shipped for the W3 and not a dime more.

Quote:

Westone3: Stable fit and looks nice.
Have to buy from marcopolo through internet transactions, many people complained about silbilance issues which i would NOT want to risk experiancing.

The only time I've noticed sibilance with my W3s has been MP3 dependant

ie: ripped at a low bitrate or it's just simply a bad recording. Stuff like Diana Krall ripped at 320....sibilance is zip, zero, nada. I also think some of these issues people complain about is source device related as well......either a player that just isn't as good as others SQ wise or the user has abused eq settings.

Quote:

So all and all .. if IE8 would just fit I would get them hands down. But now I might have to go through so much trouble to get Westone 3 and even then i might have issues with the sound.

Trouble? What trouble?

Buying via his site is easy as can be....takes no more than 5 mins and you'll have them in a day or two. Yes you can get the IE8 from NCIX except they don't stock it.....you have to special order it. If you get the Westone 3 and end up not liking them simply sell them......I'm sure someone here will gladly take them off your hands.

No offence but this is the IEM game. You can educate yourself all you want reading reviews and such but by and large it's still trial by fire.......it's a 50/50 shot you'll buy something that won't impress you.

IMO.....buy the IE8 because you've more or less made up your mind going by this comment:

Quote:

....people complained about silbilance issues which i would NOT want to risk experiancing

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #40 of 116
OK....I'll comment here. I have not voted yet.

The Westone 3s are the most astonishing IEM i've ever heard from a tonal standpoint. When I pair them with my Larocca PRII in particular the sibilance issue (which never really bothered me anyway) is nearly eliminated. I am tempted to say that the W3s are pretty much on a similar plateau as my Bass heavy R10s. We're talking tonally only, because the R10s offer imaging and Soundstage like there's no tomorrow, but from a tonal standpoint, they are quite similar to my ears with the bass of W3 being slightly more impactful and the treble extension not being quite as airy. The midrange of the R10s is better, but they have a similar sound. I'd like to know people who have this verison of the R10s and a W3s feeling about this comparison. The only person I know for sure that has both of these is Ray Samuels, and he is welcomed to comment on the tonal attributes of the two headphones. Obviously they're not identical, but I don't feel I'm stretching the truth when I say that I've never heard an IEM come closer to the bass heavier R10s than the W3s from a tonal perspective. I have not heard the almighty UE11s, but I just simply cannot imagine that they best the W3s.

The IE8 has a soundstage capability that is so unique in the world of IEMs, but after a while the sound becomes droll in comparison to my W3. This is JUST in comparison. The IE8 are so great! But they're not as tonally transparent as W3s, I'm tempted to say very little is......There's been some discussion about no IEMs being as good as the HD600/650.......I have to disagree and say the W3's best those headphones from a tonal perspective, especially if you amp them. I have both those headphones. I prefer the HD600 over the 650. It's amazing the kind of sonic goodness they can jam pack into little IEMs. It's brilliant.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #41 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 has a soundstage capability that is so unique in the world of IEMs, but after a while the sound becomes droll in comparison to my W3.

Could you elaborate on this comment? I'm just kind of confused what you mean.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #42 of 116
After reading your review and your comments on this thread, I think you would be happier keeping the W3s in the long run. If you are planning on selling one of them, I would do it soon.

I've been in this situation many times, and the sooner I got rid of the headphone that kept hanging on, the more I enjoyed what I kept. The times that I have kept both seemed like a long drawn out comparison that interferred with my musical enjoyment.

In the end, I would always prefer what headphone I originally liked in the initial comparison. I'm talkin 100% of the time. So, it's a guess I'm taking, but I think deep down you know you prefer the W3s when it comes down to it.... but I could be wrong
smile.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #43 of 116
I finally received my IE8 three days ago, but it just so happened that 2 hours later I had a conversation (unrelated to the purchase) that pretty much led to a breakup in my relationship, so I haven't really been in the mood to post. Still not too inspired, but here it goes:

When I first put on the IE8 I was fearing disappointment after what I got from the W3. First thing I noticed was the cable, much thicker than the W3 cable, not as malleable, although it looked very resistant it did not impress me. Then, getting them into my ears, it took a few tries to find the ideal tips to wear. The IE8 do not go in too deep, in fact I would say they are more a canalphone than an IEM (are those distinctions still made on head-fi?), but the large bi-flange tip did it for me, the outside noise isolation is much greater with the W3 though, as they go deeper into the ear. But when it came time to press play...

Remembering my first try of the W3, I was impressed by deeeeeeep clear bass and lots of detail, but instantly put off as soon as bass guitars started playing and eating up the mix. With the IE8 I did not get that WOW factor in any area initially, but it did not put me off either, what I heard was balance. Everything was there, on equal terms, bass drums where not competing with bass guitars, vocals had air to breathe (and sounded very good). There was no big shiny bit that took my attention from other parts of the sound. To be honest, the sound was not impressive on first listen, but there was nothing there to piss me off.

Listening a bit more and concentrating on different parts there WAS a WOW factor. Reverb decay. You could hear the decay waaaaaaaaaaay to the end. It sounded like a little man in these earphones took a time machine back into the studio and started fiddling with the settings on the reverb processor.

I find the biggest difference between the W3 and the IE8, for me, is the complete lack of air in the W3 and the vast spaciousness of the IE8.

They have now burned in for about 50 hours or so and I cant say if I have noticed a difference because I had my mind elsewhere these days and I have just been enjoying the music on my journeys to and from work, and unlike with the w3, there was nothing about the IE8 that pisses me off when I listen to them, I hear the music, but I don't find myself criticising the earphone. To me that is ideal. I lost money returning the W3, but I believe the result to be worth it.

I would like a bit deeper bass (not more, just deeper) on the IE8, as well as greater isolation. But, then again have not played with the bass tuner mechanism yet and I stuck to my first satisfactory tip fit. I can play around with those and maybe improve on these factors.

Oh, another comment on the cable: yes, it is thicker and less comfortable than the W3 cable, but there are no microphonics to be found and it is replaceable, so maybe people may start making custom mods.
As for comfort, seeing the pictures of the strange diamond boxy shape of the IE8, I thought they would not be very comfortable, but I was wrong. Despite not going into your ears as deep, they are ergonomically shaped and stay in their place nicely, no complaints on comfort, although I do prefer the W3 in that respect by a small margin.

Well, surely I am forgetting something, but I will leave it at that for now. From the moment I put the IE8 on I knew I preferred them to the W3 due to their balance and air. They may not have the initially impressive aspects of the W3, but their balance trumps the incredible percussion rendition created by the W3. If I listened exclusively to recordings of drum solos or African percussion groups, even electronic music (without female vocals) I would definitely go with the W3, but since that is not the case, the IE8 are the clear winner for me, no contest.

I cast my vote. IE8 for balance, detailed sound, air and instrument separation.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #44 of 116
W3 are more detailed & isolate better....

but IE8 have a greater soundstage and punch...also their tonal balance is more natural.

W3 sounded nasal to me ..i dont know why..maybe coz of the single flange eartips?

also, someone told me Details on IE8 improve with Burn in..so i guess IE8 are better in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back