my parents offered to buy me a new car if I dropped out of school and went to work
Sep 19, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #61 of 117
You're paying, stick with it. A car is just transportation. An education is priceless. It does surprise me that they are trying to get you out of school. Perhaps something we don't know is pushing this position with them. Ask them their motive.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #62 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another devil here speaking....

i was going to ask you if you can ask your parents to change the car to a property. a house would be nice but an apartment is ok or what about some stocks. if you let the property, with your job money while staying/living with your parents(save up), get another preperty(ies) later or other investment. maybe you can retire early. it's all about money right(if education only means money)?

It actually has nothing to with the money for me. I'm here at UB because I need to learn about science and psychology to do what I want to do with my life. I honestly just want to know about how the world works, why it works and what I can do to manipulate it and make it better. I'll probably eventually end up being a professor when I'm old and boring and make average if not less then average pay while doing research and teaching.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #63 of 117
A $15 an hour job... I make more than that refereeing youth soccer. DO NOT DROP YOUR DEGREE.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #64 of 117
just so everybody gets it, I have no intention to leave school, I didn't even think about for a second... I'm just curious if this is weird for a parent to do or not.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #65 of 117
It's good you have already planned to stay in school. I'm am not sure if biomed can be inter-related with genetic research but that is an avenue I would explore. A lot of money is being invested in stem cell research along with gene therapy and cloning, to me this is the future in medicine. Good luck.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #66 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just curious if this is weird for a parent to do or not.

Yeah, it's weird.

Tell them you love them anyway and that you plan to stay in school.

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #68 of 117
Quote:

just so everybody gets it, I have no intention to leave school, I didn't even think about for a second... I'm just curious if this is weird for a parent to do or not.

Yes, it is very weird. For them to want you to settle/make money now and not pursue your aspirations is very short-sighted. In the long term, you will be doing what you love, and you will likely be paid more. That is something they need to realize.

Since they are not helping you pay tuition, they have no basis for objection. Even if they were paying, having that stance is incredibly selfish, since you are doing well academically (as opposed to wasting their money by getting in over your head and/or partying) and seem to have goals and desires for your future. I do not remember seeing a particular career that you want to go into post degree (please clarify if I missed it), but you clearly have a drive to do well in life, so that will take you farther than some professional college student perpetually taking classes because they do not know what they want to do with their life.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #69 of 117
Quote:

Does anybody else see a problem with this? my parents want me to leave school and my biomedical science/psychology degrees to go back to my old $15 an hour IT job because they offered it back to me. Anybody else had parents try to do anything remotely like this? I mean... I've heard of parents bribing their kids to go back to college, but never bribing them to leave...

Good for you Gatto. You'd expect your parents to have your future in mind, but when they don't, you have to think for yourself. I'm glad you're doing just that.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #70 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for you Gatto. You'd expect your parents to have your future in mind, but when they don't, you have to think for yourself. I'm glad you're doing just that.

Thanks

the worst part is this isn't terribly new, my parents have been trying to make bad decisions for me since high school. They tried to get me to go back a year because I was younger then everyone else. Then they tried to make me join the army, become a cop, (not saying these are bad decisions for everyone by any means, I have a great respect for our military and our police forces but it's just not for me) drop down to only night classes while working at a grocery store.... lets see.... They also forced me to apply to only local schools straight out of high school and I ended up at SUNY Farmingdale which is a downright terrible school, I took cell bio there and they didn't even mention microtubules. Needless to say even though I got an A in that class I redid it as soon as I got here to UB but it literally took me 3 years of fighting with them to even get to this school.

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #71 of 117
Quote:

Thanks

the worst part is this isn't terribly new, my parents have been trying to make bad decisions for me since high school. They tried to get me to go back a year because I was younger then everyone else. Then they tried to make me join the army, become a cop, (not saying these are bad decisions for everyone by any means, I have a great respect for our military and our police forces but it's just not for me) drop down to only night classes while working at a grocery store.... lets see.... They also forced me to apply to only local schools straight out of high school and I ended up at SUNY Farmingdale which is a downright terrible school, I took cell bio there and they didn't even mention microtubules. Needless to say even though I got an A in that class I redid it as soon as I got here to UB but it literally took me 3 years of fighting with them to even get to this school.

frown.gif

Maybe they're so petrified by the thought of you leaving them, they're -- consciously or not -- doing their best to hold you back. (But then, why would they try to get you to go into the army?
confused_face(1).gif
)

I think you need to have a long, thoughtful, face-to-face talk with your parents. They shouldn't be doing this kind of thing. They should be supporting you in your decisions, especially since they seem to be very good ones.

Good luck!

Sep 20, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #72 of 117
Your parents behavior is not normal, perhaps they are jealous of your success. You should indeed talk to them and ask them to respect your decisions and stop trying to drag you down. Sorry, do not mean to be a meanie but parents should help their children.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #73 of 117
Not all parents are what they should be. It's unfortunate but it doesn't surprise me they would say this. I've had a similar experience with me mom.

She was a 1st grade teacher and just retired. After 5 years of an undergrad, I decided to go to grad school for U.S. History. I'm in my second year now. When I told my parents I thought about teaching, of all people my Mom was the least enthused. She wanted me to take my double major (econ and history) and get an office job and makes lots of money. I thought, "Aren't you a teacher? Why do you care?" Fortunately my parents have always supported me. Dad was just a little more supportive about grad school.

Sounds like your parents are apt to making bad decisions. If you still enjoy your parent's company, that's fantastic. But if you don't, there's no law that says you have to love em. My uncle recently revealed how much of a jerk he is, so I don't speak to him anymore and neither do my grandparents. Just do what makes you happy. No smart adult needs an authority figure.

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #74 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Maybe they're so petrified by the thought of you leaving them, they're -- consciously or not -- doing their best to hold you back.

BINGO! this is my thought also, it's the only thing that makes sense.

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #75 of 117
first thing that popped up in my mind in responding to the parents:

[size=x-large]"ARE YOU STUPID???"[/size]

yeah, it came out in big, bolded letters too.

but seriously, parents can vary so much. some parents have been through what we have been through, and can give good/bad advice. some parents don't know anything and just wish for us to succeed in life. some parents just want to be selfish and make you do whatever to make themselves feel better.

i have no idea which category your parents fall under.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back