my parents offered to buy me a new car if I dropped out of school and went to work
Sep 18, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 117

Gatto

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anybody else see a problem with this? my parents want me to leave school and my biomedical science/psychology degrees to go back to my old $15 an hour IT job because they offered it back to me. Anybody else had parents try to do anything remotely like this? I mean... I've heard of parents bribing their kids to go back to college, but never bribing them to leave...

just so everybody gets it, I have no intention to leave school, I didn't even think about for a second... I'm just curious if this is weird for a parent to do or not.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 117
That's a bit messed up. Give them a counteroffer of: Give you the car, then you support them after retirement
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 117
Maybe it's so that when you graduate they can say, "well we offered you a car but you said nooo", before leaving on a fantastic weekend to Atlantic City.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 117
Quote:

good education > new car

This

Your parents should think like tis too
confused_face.gif

Could it be some kind of test? Sometimes parents do weird stuff to see how their child react to it
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 117
Haven't heard of that exact formulation, but have heard of some close ones.

I'll go against the grain here, but it really depends on how well you're doing (GPA-wise), how much debt load you'll be carrying once you leave college, and what salary you'll be receiving from the IT position. College degrees with low GPAs aren't worth nearly as much as they were in the past and education debt will stay with you until you die (or pay it off).

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by miloxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This

Your parents should think like tis too
confused_face.gif

Could it be some kind of test? Sometimes parents do weird stuff to see how their child react to it
tongue.gif

I know my parents, this is not a test... I kept telling my mom no and she kept calling about it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's paying your tuition?

I am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you tell us what their justification is for this move? There has to be more to this than it seems on the surface.

nope, that's literally all. I go to a SUNY school, pay instate tuition and my average is above a 3.5. I also pay my own tuition, volunteer at a hospital and plan to start doing undergraduate research soon. My parents want me to leave that for a pretty much dead end IT job. It's a 100 person company with currently one person in the IT department, when he retires I'd get his job and that's about as high as I could go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard of that exact formulation, but have heard of some close ones.

I'll go against the grain here, but it really depends on how well you're doing (GPA-wise), how much debt load you'll be carrying once you leave college, and what salary you'll be receiving from the IT position. College degrees with low GPAs aren't worth nearly as much as they were in the past.

my IT job will pay me about $15 an hour, full time and I'd get 2 weeks paid vacation off in a year. In 3 years the head of IT is retiring and I'd get his job IF I got an IT degree by then.

Also like I said before I have above a 3.5.

Sep 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #13 of 117
I'm wondering what the back story is? Could be finances if they're paying for your education. Could be you messed up and they want you to have time to rethink what you're doing. Maybe they don't get the value of an education. Medical bills. Could be almost anything, but no doubt you've discussed this with them and certainly you know the reasoning.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 117
gotta imagine you'll make more money than 15 an hour if you keep up and get your degree. i agree with jilgil...whatever your name is
smily_headphones1.gif

i'd confront them about it, trying to get you to drop out, for no other reason than to just drop out? i mean thats what i'm reading, they want you to take a IT job, but they should know you'll make more with a degree.

your parents on drugs? (semi-joking)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back