my parents offered to buy me a new car if I dropped out of school and went to work
Sep 21, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #106 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's how it is at my school. Most of the students don't show up for class and when they do, they rarely pay attention. It happens in junior/senior level classes as well. What's the point of getting a degree if you learn almost nothing?

Right. So what's wrong with going to a technical college where you don't have to waste a full professor's time?

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #107 of 117
Nothing, I agree they're probably better off learning a trade or not going to school at all.

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #108 of 117
fwiw, you can turn a $15/hr tech job into a career, but it will take you 6 to 12 years to do so, and plenty of people end up failing out of that life track and doing something else.

If school is working for you, stay in school.

(I never went to college. I couldn't figure out what to study and couldn't fathom sitting through general education classes while i tried to figure it out. In retrospect i wish i'd told my parents that I'd go to any college where i'd live at the school full time, for the social experience if nothing else. As it is, I own a small house on a bigger patch of land than i prefer to mow and in a good neighborhood, have a good car, don't worry about bills, etc - but I spent plenty of time making not enough money, and plenty of months unemployed in the last 15 years.)

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #111 of 117
Laugh at them and love them like they are innocent country farmers. they can be innocent, mindless, pessimistic or fickle minded but your support and success will change and shape them.

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #112 of 117
Sep 24, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #113 of 117
I'm sure that there must be some complicated back story here. Maybe it's just an excuse to ask you to move back home or something.

Regardless, I think that the very fact that they made such a request and also the fact that you posted this thread here shows that there is something not right with the relationship you have with your parents and maybe it's something to work on?

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #114 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody else see a problem with this? my parents want me to leave school and my biomedical science/psychology degrees to go back to my old $15 an hour IT job because they offered it back to me. Anybody else had parents try to do anything remotely like this? I mean... I've heard of parents bribing their kids to go back to college, but never bribing them to leave....

Gatto--I have taught English at the State University of New York for 35 years.

How long have you been in school? I see you say that you understand your calc teacher and that seems to make you happy. Do you like what you are studying? Do you really like going to at least half of your classes? You slightly complain abut early morning classes. Is that a problem?

The IT job will always be there.

Do you parents really think it is better for you to go back to a crappy job? or do they think it would be cheaper to buy you a car than pay your tuition?

Send me a PM if you like?
db

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #115 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstraction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gatto--I have taught English at the State University of New York for 35 years.

How long have you been in school? I see you say that you understand your calc teacher and that seems to make you happy. Do you like what you are studying? Do you really like going to at least half of your classes? You slightly complain abut early morning classes. Is that a problem?

The IT job will always be there.

Do you parents really think it is better for you to go back to a crappy job? or do they think it would be cheaper to buy you a car than pay your tuition?

Send me a PM if you like?
db

hehe I see you found my twitter....

I've been taking classes at school for 2 years, 1.5 of those were done at a local step up from community college style school and I couldn't stand it, one of those semesters was also a two night classes semester. I've been at my current school for a full semester and this one and it's amazing. Everything about the school I'm at now is what I wanted, academically, socially, it's all just awesome. I mentioned my calc professor because here at UB there is only one math professor who's first language is english (only dept like that). Either way I'd say I actively like going to 3 out of 4 of my classes, the only boring one being calc but what can ya do? it's required for both my majors. My only morning class issue is for about a week my alarm clock was broken, so I had to keep setting alarms on things that aren't my clock, like my phone... it was annoying.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #116 of 117
I think the OP is trolling
atsmile.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #117 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh hell no. Stick with school.

Though you might want to see if there's a way to take evening classes at a local school while working. I did that for the accounting degree and it worked out pretty well.

Also, earwicker makes a great point about the trades. In my little free time, I study for a few FCC exams for a commercial radio license. I already have an amateur license and enjoy this stuff. With the commercial license and several endorsements, I could do radio and marine radar on freighters, commercial radio, the military, or any number of government positions.

Not so long ago, doubling up on law and accounting seemed like a sure thing. But the market is spooky today. I think things are OK are work, but you never know. Besides, if I got laid off, traveling a bit on a freighter and stirring up trouble in bars in exotic locales would be slightly more exciting than preparing hearing exhibits in a windowless storage room 20 floors up.

Yikes, you're the brunt of accountant & lawyer jokes!
tongue.gif
I just have to put up with accountant jokes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back