my parents offered to buy me a new car if I dropped out of school and went to work
Sep 18, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #17 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you asked your parents at any time what their logic behind this 'deal' is?

well they've tried to pull stuff like this before, I haven't gone more then a month without them trying to get me back to this job, which is truly and honestly nothing special

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of car?

I didn't let them get far enough into their argument to specify

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #18 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my IT job will pay me about $15 an hour, full time and I'd get 2 weeks paid vacation off in a year. In 3 years the head of IT is retiring and I'd get his job IF I got an IT degree by then.

Also like I said before I have above a 3.5.

Ah. So they want you to drop out of the program you're in now, take the job, finish up an IT degree, and take the IT head position in ~ 3 years? It's not too irrational of them as long as you're guaranteed the IT head position (at, say, ~ $30/hr) and the company is reasonably stable.

Still, it looks like you're on a medical track and a 3.5 GPA will, at a minimum, get you into a nursing program with better options/salary/security. Not too many reasons to take their offer and I'm sure they'll understand if you get it across in those terms. Sounds like they're just looking out for your future and have a rather risk adverse viewpoint.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 117
Wow...that is really weird that you are paying the tuition and they want to pay you to drop out.

You seem to enjoy school, so stay in it to win it.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 117
Don't leave your studies. If you feel like that now, imagine how much you'll kick yourself in the head 10, 20, 30 or 40 years from now.

If you pay for your tuition, already volunteer at a hospital and have a good GPA, I feel that it would be utterly irresponsible not to follow on your chosen path.

A car? You've gotta be kidding me. I already finished my studies, but I wouldn't give them away for a million dollars. It's not about money either, it's about self-realization and self-improvement. You only get one chance at life.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #21 of 117
Quote:

well they've tried to pull stuff like this before, I haven't gone more then a month without them trying to get me back to this job, which is truly and honestly nothing special

Honestly does seem kind of odd...I've got my parents pushing me to drop my Master's in favor of going straight for a PhD...but I've never had them push for me to quit school in favor of a job. They have been pushing me to settle down of late though...

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #22 of 117
But it pays good and IT is a good place to be. Personally, I'd take the job and the car. it's more than I make now. But your location might make that money seem like more or less. I have about 1300$/mo that is left over after bills so my finances aren't hurting but I'd take a 3$ payraise and a free car to quit going to school.

the point of education is to make more money. *shrug*

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 117
Quote:

Does anybody else see a problem with this? my parents want me to leave school and my biomedical science/psychology degrees to go back to my old $15 an hour IT job because they offered it back to me. Anybody else had parents try to do anything remotely like this? I mean... I've heard of parents bribing their kids to go back to college, but never bribing them to leave...

Ask them to buy you a Bugatti Veyron.

Your parents are weird.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #24 of 117
Irrespective of the fact I got a decent degree from a good university and am now onto a PhD, I wouldn't have traded even the social parts of my undergrad years for a Rolls Royce, nevermind a regular car.
Stay at uni. Work hard, do well. Play hard, have fun. You'll hate it when it's all over.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 117
I'll play devil's advocate here...

A. A college degree is worth much, much less than it was even a decade ago. Given that no one on either side of the political fence in this country (I'm also playing devil's advocate in this case; there's only one party IMO... the corporate party) is stopping it, half of the professions can easily be outsourced for a fraction of the money involved in hiring a native professional.

B. A college degree is often ridiculously expensive nowadays.

A + B often equals C, with C being somebody holding an expensive degree and working in a non-professional job. Half of the people in the customer service department of my company (which pays around $15 an hour) have college degrees, and consider themselves lucky to not be waiting tables (no disrespect to those who do). While there are no doctorate holders that I'm aware of, these are not stupid people with degrees from a mail-order college. I know people who are in their 40s who are still paying off their student loans, with no end in sight.

I recently heard something on the radio in which a noted economist (I can't remember his name now, but when he was announced, I did recognize it) recommended that parents of everyone other than the rare genius encourage their children to take up a trade such as welding, plumbing, etc., because there will always be a local demand for these people; you can't outsource the guy who unclogs your toilet. He said that these people often wind up with about the same lifetime wages once you factor in all the interest from student loans.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #26 of 117
Being a GOOD tradesman (plumber, sparkie, joiner, carpenter, plasterer, but not painter) can net you very good money.

Reliability is the key factor missing from so many tradesmen though.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #27 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll play devil's advocate here...

A. A college degree is worth much, much less than it was even a decade ago. Given that no one on either side of the political fence in this country (I'm also playing devil's advocate in this case; there's only one party IMO... the corporate party) is stopping it, half of the professions can easily be outsourced for a fraction of the money involved in hiring a native professional.

B. A college degree is often ridiculously expensive nowadays.

A + B often equals C, with C being somebody holding an expensive degree and working in a non-professional job. Half of the people in the customer service department of my company (which pays around $15 an hour) have college degrees, and consider themselves lucky to not be waiting tables (no disrespect to those who do). While there are no doctorate holders that I'm aware of, these are not stupid people with degrees from a mail-order college. I know people who are in their 40s who are still paying off their student loans, with no end in sight.

I recently heard something on the radio in which a noted economist (I can't remember his name now, but when he was announced, I did recognize it) recommended that parents of everyone other than the rare genius encourage their children to take up a trade such as welding, plumbing, etc., because there will always be a local demand for these people; you can't outsource the guy who unclogs your toilet. He said that these people often wind up with about the same lifetime wages once you factor in all the interest from student loans.

I agree with this and I think it's very true for many degrees. I however am going into the sciences or medicine depending on well... whatever I decide to do. When I'm done I'll either be doing research most likely at a university while teaching or I'll be an M.D., both of these aren't having outsourcing problems as far as I know.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #28 of 117
Take it from a 47 year old guy who rues the day he didn't go to college, stay in school. Someday you'll be able to buy a much nicer car than they'll offer unless they come up with a Lexus or something.

It does seem quite odd that they'd ask you to do this. There are probably lots of people who'd love to have that IT job right now and you already know the one promotion opportunity which is even more reason to stay in school.

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #30 of 117
Long term > short term. Unless you have problems that have to be resolved right now. But that's a different case entirely. If you have a long term goal that you actually want then go ahead and pursue that, and don't worry about money. It will come.

I don't know what your situation is but then again it is your situation and your judgment is the only thing that should matter. Do what you think is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back