my first, hopefully last, desktop balanced dac amp
Sep 23, 2018 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yiffsauce

New Head-Fier
hey guys i just recently got into the audio game and i got myself a hifiman he4xx with the fiio q1mk2. later on i will get tougher to drive headphones and im hoping to start at a point that i dont have to upgrade more and spend more money you know. saving the money for the future now basically.
ive been looking at the schiit jotunheim but im not too sure honestly as im still new so thats why im asking for suggestions
i pretty much want the amp to allow for detail but also with good bass
like i dont wanna shake my head i just wanna feel it you know
if you guys have any stack suggestions or anything thats welcome too

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 7
So your just going to use the FiiO Q1 MK II as the DAC, with whatever headphone amplifier (Jotunheim) you get?
It's what i would do.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 7
i wanna get the dac amp for my computer only pretty much through the usb
what other inputs would i need?

People often use digital to digital converters, converting usb to i2s, AES/EBU, or spdif(optical or coaxial), and send that signal to their dac.

I'll second protegemaniacs suggestion of audio gd I like their equipment alot.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 7
i wanna get the dac amp for my computer only pretty much through the usb
what other inputs would i need?

Depends on what other sources you need and plan to use in the future. If you just use a PC, and have no plans for any other digital source, then the upgradeable module on the Jotunheim is a good bet on its DAC design, and in case you get something like TT, it has analogue inputs.

In case you ever want to do two digital sources, like a DAP/music server for very quiet/fanless listening and your PC for gaming, you don't have SPDIF inputs on the Jotunheim for the former type of source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back