My Ety's ruined my AD700s :O
Apr 24, 2011 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

yepimonfire

500+ Head-Fier
the linearity of the Ety's i just bought make my AD700s sound like crap. switching back and forth between them, the colorations are painfully obvious. so i need some flat fullsize cans. 
beyersmile.png

one thing i considered are the AD900s, according to headrooms graph, they are much closer to flat then the AD700s, and the weird midrange colorations are reduced.

another consideration, DT880s, although they look slightly colored in the highs (brightness)
then theres the K701/2 

HD600s look pretty linear, except the highs, while acceptably linear, "squiggle" all over the place.

i'm leaning more towards the beyers, AKGs or AD900s because i really would rather not buy an amp and i'm not sure what sort of output i'm going to get out of a 300ohm phone with an ipod.

anything else you can suggest?

point me in the right direction fellow head-fiers!

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 30
All of those require powerful amplifiers except for AD900.
Consider Fostex T50RP if you do not mind a semi-DIY headphone.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 30
the DT880s have a 32ohm version. the AKGs are only 50 something ohms. my ipod can drive loads all the way up to 100ohms just fine as my last phones were 100 ohms and i had no issues getting a ton of volume out of them.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 30
DT 880 32ohms do better with an amplifier I hear.  AD700 does do just as well off an iPod than a portable amp, so AD900 probably does the same.

I read the AKG 701/702 are the ones that require an amp the most.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 30
oh yeah? and somebody told me my Ety's needed an amp also. which is rediculous. you know how i feel about headphone amplifiers TM raven. the only thing i want to know is if i can get a loud enough volume from an ipod.

no offense intended.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
the DT880s have a 32ohm version. the AKGs are only 50 something ohms. my ipod can drive loads all the way up to 100ohms just fine as my last phones were 100 ohms and i had no issues getting a ton of volume out of them.

You also have to consider the sensitivity (some number next to dB/mw or SPL under specs).  I recommend headphones around 98-106 SPL and low impedance (<64 ohms) if you are going to use them straight out of an ipod.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 30
While those are all arguably flat, they also have very distinct individual sound signatures.

The K702, while "adequate" without a dedicated amp, isn't really worth the price of admission without one.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
oh yeah? and somebody told me my Ety's needed an amp also. which is rediculous. you know how i feel about headphone amplifiers TM raven. the only thing i want to know is if i can get a loud enough volume from an ipod.

no offense intended.

Yeah I thought I'd throw it in there just to tickle your pickle.  I'm even surprised you kept the AD700 long enough considering you were so adamant a bout flat sound on the other thread.

If all you care about is loudness, then Beyers should be fine, but imo you shouldn't spend that much money on a headphone without letting it actually perform to its max.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:

no offense intended.

the er4's improve a bit with amping, especially the er4s.

and the headphones you mentioned, the hd600, dt880, k701 should best be used with a good amp.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 30
guys, i personally do not feel/or hear (since everyone talks about preferences here) a difference between a stand-alone amp or an ipod therefore if an ipod can drive them to a reasonable volume, i see no reason in getting one.

EDIT: and i kept the AD700s because it was all i had and it was reasonably accurate compared to what i had before. why do you think i'm going on an ety kick? :p
i want a headphone that adds the least amount of "signature" to the music. i want to hear just the music without hearing the headphones adding their own sound to it. whichever one comes closest to this, is what i want.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 30
If you like the Ety's, then you should look for a full size headphone that is bright, lean and bass light.  The HD800 or K501 would be good options.  K701 could work too, but you might like the K501 coming from the Ety's. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 30
etys are not bright. or bass light. they have flat natural bass, and natural highs. i honestly cannot hear any coloration in these at all. its like a perfect sound. i just wish the highs actually went up higher then they do.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 30
What amps have you heard when you say that you don't hear a difference?  Are you talking about a Fiio portable?  Most people who claim no difference with stuff like that have not heard good amps.  Go to a meet and I bet you that opinion will dissolve fairly quickly 

But if you like the lean treble-y Ety sound, you might like something like a K501 with an ipod.  They get enough volume with an ipod.  You'll be missing the better dynamics, impact, bass that an amp brings, but you might not miss those things as much as others.

edit: well they might sound good to you, but they certainly are bright and lean compared to most other headphones
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 30
i'm leaning more towards the beyers just because of the comfort issue and they look sexy 
beyersmile.png
 can someone describe their sonic signature? how neutral do they sound? one coloration i don't mind is mild brightness, i think people have said beyers are bright.

May 6, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #15 of 30
I have the DT880 250 ohm and they are the brightest cans I own. The Grado Sr225i, infamous for it's brightness, pales in comparison. They are sometimes TOO bright for me though, and I only use them for audiophile classical recordings, soundtracks and movies/gaming. I read that the DT880 loses it's sibilance when paired with a nice and warm tube amp. I might try this in the future. 

To me, it sounds like you're gonna love the Fostex T50RP. They're the most neutral cans I've heard so far. They need an amp though, even if you don't "believe" in amps. :) Remember, headphones are speakers. Speakers need amplification. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back