My DIY electrostatic headphones
Oct 16, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #2,806 of 4,058
Hi Theologos,

I think the use of hanging weights is more accurate for repeatability. When using a tyre stretcher with marker points, getting the same tension is very difficult.
Also, I know lots of people use Licron Crystal, I've used it, but still prefer the RS antistatic spray.

David.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,808 of 4,058
3D printers are really amazing. :smile_phones:

That is after you learn to use them... :smile_phones:

So I drew this up and printed some parts to tryout.
will make some changes but it will work just fine.
tried ABS but even at 50% infill it was very brittle
so back to PLA for now as its very strong
9935577_l.jpg

9935576_l.jpg

9935575_l.jpg

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #2,809 of 4,058
Hi Congo5,

You’ve been quiet recently.
I have still not got into 3D printing, but have looked into buying a 3D printer,.... I guess the one you have is capable of printing some big pieces. Is your headband printed?
I still CNC everything, but probably consider a printer at some point. Any recommendations?
Are the headphones in the bottom photo wood effect PLA or real wood?

David.

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,810 of 4,058
Yea mostly building amps

those are printed on a Tevo Tarantula, build area is 200mm cubic
The headband just fits on the build plate.

it was $200 and now they have a bigger one called Tornado and its much easier to assemble.
Many Youtube videos on 3DPrinters, that's how I chose that one.
its the headband / mechanism that I have struggled with, this solves that.
the bottom ones are CNC MDF from a couple years ago, (still work)

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #2,811 of 4,058
When I heat my membranes they do not shrink. In fact they do the opposite. They expand. If I take a finished membrane glued to a spacer (or glued to my stretching frame) the resonance frequency gets lower if heated! So my understanding is it will expand by being heat treated and the effect fades away after a while resulting in the same tension as before heating the membrane.

Nonetheless I do use heat treatment. But in my case I have a strechting frame and I do only strecht the membrane in one direction. So I do the heat treatment for a more uniform tensioning on the whole membrane and as well to get rid of wrinkels wich do appear with my method of gluing the mylar to a frame by myselve to stretch it.

Hello,
I my case the membrane shrinks when heated with air gun, so the resonance frequency rises. Please can you tell me what type is your membrane ?

Regards
Theologos

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,812 of 4,058
Very nice work Congo5. I really like the way you make your headband.

By the way, on my side, I've upgraded my headphones with professionally made stators and spacer rings. The stators are made from double sided PCB with plate through holes. Now it's very easy to solder the wires on either side and the copper trace doesn't get in the way of the spacer rings anymore. :)

For some unclear reasons, after the upgrades, my Orpheus clone and Omega clone are quite a bit more efficient. They sound as loud as my Stax SR009 now. I have to remake the diaphragms since using the old ones and they are not able to keep stable. The dynamic and bass also get much better. You guys should try.

IMG_20170926_095557.jpg

IMG_20170818_144108.jpg

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #2,814 of 4,058
Hello,
I my case the membrane shrinks when heated with air gun, so the resonance frequency rises. Please can you tell me what type is your membrane ?

Regards
Theologos

Yes, using the air gun would shrink the membrane a bit. Your resonance frequencies would rise too. However, if your tension isn't enough to keep the diaphragm stable, using the air gun can't help it (in my experience).

I have tried 1, 2, 3 and 6 micron Mylar. And I really like to use the 3 micron. Some of us here might prefer other thicknesses. But, that's just personal preference. Please share with us what you like better.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,815 of 4,058
Those look nice!
what is hole size and spacing?
1.5mm holes, offset spacing, 2.5mm on center?
Gonna try having them made,

I do double sided because they stay flat better and then only connect one side electrically
that way the outside does not contribute to capacitance
and coat the stator with electrical varnish
also helps with noise as it can't short bias to stator

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,816 of 4,058
The Orpheus clone now has 1.5 mm holes. The vertical spacing between holes for me is always half of the hole size. So, in this case 0.75. I can't remember what the horizontal spacing is though. But, I guess it's pretty similar.

For the Omega clone, the hole size is still 2 mm. The vertical spacing is 1 mm. I can't remember the horizontal spacing either.

I haven't measured the difference in capacitance from the old ones to the new ones, but they sound good so I don't bother to do that. :)

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #2,818 of 4,058
nice, very nice, thanks
I haven't tried anywhere near as many things as you have
So when it works I move on to the next problem
only have 2um film
staticide has worked for 2years on one set so guess its stable
hole size didn't seem to make much difference
I mostly copied your work adapted to my skill and methods

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #2,819 of 4,058
Very nice work Congo5. I really like the way you make your headband.

By the way, on my side, I've upgraded my headphones with professionally made stators and spacer rings. The stators are made from double sided PCB with plate through holes. Now it's very easy to solder the wires on either side and the copper trace doesn't get in the way of the spacer rings anymore. :)

For some unclear reasons, after the upgrades, my Orpheus clone and Omega clone are quite a bit more efficient. They sound as loud as my Stax SR009 now. I have to remake the diaphragms since using the old ones and they are not able to keep stable. The dynamic and bass also get much better. You guys should try.

IMG_20170926_095557.jpg

IMG_20170818_144108.jpg
hey chinesettawong :) what you mean by professional manufactured? better cnc machine? or eteched? :) looks great anyway :)

cheers janosch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back