My Amp Reasearch - Need Help Deciding
Jun 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
All,

I have been researching the subject of buying an amp for a very long time. 

I still have ATH-ESW9s and Sennheiser MX980s playing out of a Sony X-1060 as my portable setup, will probably be gettnig HD25-1(II) to see if I like them more than the ESW9s some time in the future too.

What I want to do is to neutralize the warm sound of my X-1060 and get a bit more neutral sound from the ESW9s. That is the main goal of getting a portable amp for me. 
Maybe I will also use it with my MX980s to see how they do with an amp.

I have been looking for a decent/ not too expensive amp for some time and after deciding against Fiio E7 I found the fantastic reviews Skylab posted for Corda 3Move and XXS/ Headsix.

I decided to buy one of these then, but still have doubts.

I will primarily be using the amp in a portable setup so a DAC will not be needed here. I watch movies using my HD555s from my PC and listen to some music using other phones from he PC too and the though and the soundcard in my PC is truly horrible.

I thought that maybe it would be nice to have a DAC that I would connect to my PC when needed and enhance the sound a bit - not necessarily for movies, but maybe for music.

To my main question now:

Should I get a Corda XXS/Headsix and maybe a separate DAC like the Headstage DAC Cable ine the future?

or

Should I get Corda 3Move with a built-in DAC?

SQ-wise it seems that 3Move and XXS are the same except for crossoever that is not available with XXS.

3Move is available for 225 Euro while XXS is available for 140 Euro.

Is the crossover setting worth upgrading to 3Move?

Is 3Move superior to XXS in any other way apart from crossover availability?

I can spend the money to buy 3Move, I want to spend the money wisely and not pay more than I actually should.

I will really appreciate your input and help on this topic.

Szadzik

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Szadzik - I have owned the Headsix for over a year now and am very happy with it.  I'd bought it to use with my Etymotic ER-4 (S and P), but I recently purchased the MX980 - love them, by the way.  Still burning those in, but they are a bit like the HD600's baby brother.  Sound is fairly neutral and detailed (like ER-4, but not quite as detailed), but I wanted something with a soundstage, as opposed to the ER-4, and boy are separation and airiness nice on these.  I'm fairly surprised there's not more buzz about them on this forum...

Back to the Headsix.  I too wondered if it was worth it to upgrade to the 3Move.  I didn't need a DAC.  I was not and am not sold on the need for a crossover.  Size was fairly important to me as I use it on the move quite a bit.  And everything I read led me to believe that besides those differences I just mentioned, SQ was pretty equivalent on the 3Move.  With headphone listening, I want to hear music as it was recorded, so I prefer my equipment transparent.  I love the Headsix - it's seemingly without colouration, and fairly powerful - it even drove the HD600 fairly well during the two weeks I owned those.  It's small and the battery lasts forever. 

However, if you are going to need a DAC in the future, it sounds to me like it would be more cost effective to buy the 3Move with the integrated DAC...though I don't know much about whether the 3Move has a great DAC or not.

Finally, I know you're deciding between two Meier amps, so service and build quality aren't issues, but know that I've found that Jan gives great personalized service if you have questions or an issue, and I've also found that the Headsix is solidly built.

Good luck and have fun with the MX980!

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi,

Thanks for the input!

I am mainly concerned about the SQ difference between 3Move and Headsix. The DAC thing is optional and I can have a separate DAC (onoly needed at home and not on the move so does not have to be with me all the time).

Can you tell me your impressions regarding MX980s and the XXS/ Headsix? I In what way does the sound get better/ different with the use of XXS?

Quote:
Szadzik - I have owned the Headsix for over a year now and am very happy with it.  I'd bought it to use with my Etymotic ER-4 (S and P), but I recently purchased the MX980 - love them, by the way.  Still burning those in, but they are a bit like the HD600's baby brother.  Sound is fairly neutral and detailed (like ER-4, but not quite as detailed), but I wanted something with a soundstage, as opposed to the ER-4, and boy are separation and airiness nice on these.  I'm fairly surprised there's not more buzz about them on this forum...

Back to the Headsix.  I too wondered if it was worth it to upgrade to the 3Move.  I didn't need a DAC.  I was not and am not sold on the need for a crossover.  Size was fairly important to me as I use it on the move quite a bit.  And everything I read led me to believe that besides those differences I just mentioned, SQ was pretty equivalent on the 3Move.  With headphone listening, I want to hear music as it was recorded, so I prefer my equipment transparent.  I love the Headsix - it's seemingly without colouration, and fairly powerful - it even drove the HD600 fairly well during the two weeks I owned those.  It's small and the battery lasts forever. 

However, if you are going to need a DAC in the future, it sounds to me like it would be more cost effective to buy the 3Move with the integrated DAC...though I don't know much about whether the 3Move has a great DAC or not.

Finally, I know you're deciding between two Meier amps, so service and build quality aren't issues, but know that I've found that Jan gives great personalized service if you have questions or an issue, and I've also found that the Headsix is solidly built.

Good luck and have fun with the MX980!

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 5
I just purchased a Headsix! Waiting for it to arrive... I couldnt justify the fairly large increase in cost for other amps on the market. So i went ahead and bought one :) You can always purchase the Headstage dac cable if need be down the track.

Jun 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 5
Yip, that is most probably what I am going to do. Now still waiting to try Senn HD25s and then will get the new phones or the amp, amp being the more probable one as I just bought the line out dock for my Sony X.

Quote:
I just purchased a Headsix! Waiting for it to arrive... I couldnt justify the fairly large increase in cost for other amps on the market. So i went ahead and bought one :) You can always purchase the Headstage dac cable if need be down the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back