1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

My AKG comparison K7XX, K712, 65th Annies and the rest! to stop this confusion!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ryanr1987, Jan 30, 2015.
First

Back
1 2 3 4
  1. Redwing24
    Just cant afford 1200$ gaming cans though

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  2. Victor Saranoff

I have both the K7XX and K712 Pro and on the above.

1. The K7xx does NOT run the K712 Pro pads. The K712 Pro Pads are way deeper and firmer.
    2. Because of the depth it seems to me the soundstage is widely splayed on K7XX and it can be putting off as hard-panned sounds seem to come from the edges of the ears and its distracting. The K712 Pro's soundstage is way better with less spread and more depth
    3. K7XX is warmer in sound and the FR curves show that too with elevation of Bass across upper / mid bass
    4. K712 Pro is more colored on mids because of the 2khz spikes and some other dips

Overall these are different headphones. Choose K7xx for a euphonic warmer easy sound but I would always choose K712 Pro for critical listening and correct its quirks with the superb profile that Sonarworks has. K712 Pro with Sonarworks is incredible - it shows of its fast drivers to such an extent that I'm beat on finding a better headphone except say for HD800. I would always plump for K712 Pro and its worth its premium price any day.

I must also say that I kept my K7xx the soundstage of which while disconcertingly wide is yet a easy plug and play euphonic fun HP.

3. FritzS
    My experience - and often tested:
    Q701 + K712 Pro Pads = K712

From all K/Q87xx headphones I like Q701 with its original pads!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    mgh24 likes this.
  4. drym
    If i can judge for info here, it was mistake to buy k7xx. but for 75$..

5. ronfifer
    Owners, based on your experience, which one of these 3 is the most accurate when it comes to pinpointing sound sources in 3D space in FPS games? For locating footsteps and gunshots?(aka imaging). I have been going in circles for weeks with so many mixed opinions.

-AKG K712
    -AKG K702
    -HE-4XX
    -AD 900x

Thank you

6. Audio Aficionado
    K712 has more bass than the K702 which might give the impression of smaller sound stage and less precise imaging, but really, neither headphone is better or worse than the other, just slightly different sounding. Personally I prefer the K702, and use it often for watching movies.

ronfifer likes this.
  7. Beagle
    I'm confused. I'm thinking of staging a walkout.

8. Alfredo3001
    I want to buy one of the akg. I had the akg k7xx I really like it but sold it to upgrade to the akg k712. I didn’t buy the k712. Right know I like my dt880 and I want he widest soundstage possible under 350$. I dont like forward mids and to much bass fatigues me. I would like to buy the akg k701 but the price from us retailers is really expensive. I could get a k712 for the same price. So from what I have investigated.
    K701 brighter with widest soundstage
    K702 similar to 01 a little more present with a little reduce soundstage
    Q701 more bass and warmer less soundstage of the first two
    K7xx to much bass forward mids from what I remember smaller soundstage of the 4
    K712 refined sound compare to k7xx. bass have more quality and is tight with better treble. Soundstage not as wide as k701 but more coherent and 3d

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    GU1DO likes this.
  9. mgh24
    That sounds like a nice combo. I can have 701 sound sig or 712 with simple switch of the pads. I like that idea, though I am a huge fan of Grado RS2e, so unsure adding an AKG would be a smart thing to do :)

10. DJ nachi
    I too am in the same boat...
    for me, its just a choice between the 702 vs 712(lack of replacement cables rules out the K701 for me). The K702 is about 120 EUR and the K712 is 199 EUR here in France. I will only be buying one AKG headphone in the near future and I already own the DT 990, HD 6XX, HD595 among open cans...
    Any advice as to which one would be the better complementing headphone to the ones I already have ? I would say, its the soundstage that is missing from my existing list of cans..
    Thanks in advance for your advice !

11. sanj
    Is k712 actually an upgrade over k7xx?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  12. GU1DO
    I got 2 pairs of K712 one was from April 2018 and the other one produced in July 2019 , and they sounded different , the one from early 2018 sound much closer to the Q701 i have
    the 2019 version is brighter and have more bass and sound really close to the 7xx and they are almost identical in sound except that the 712 have more details, more depth in sound and touch larger sound stage , if budget is priority go for the 7xx , if you want the best by 20-40% go for late production K712

13. sanj
    Thanks GU1DO. I've read K712 had some upper mid peak at around 2khz and people were solving it with equalizer. Does 2019 production suffer from this problem?

14. GU1DO
    no not at all , i dont need any EQ , to my ears it sound balanced

First

Back
1 2 3 4