Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Jan 4, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #1,397 of 1,499
Thanks for the answers, very helpful. I've been struggling to get this fixed for sure. Thats big if I only need an HDMI port. Tempting to solder it myself as I can solder but I don't want to risk doing a sub par job. I will let a professional handle it for sure! Thankfully l have a well tuned AES cable to use.
You should check visually for damages. Leads of the connector may be not broken, then it only needs reheating with some flux.

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #1,399 of 1,499
Musician Audio just released the Pegasus II wonder how this compares to the original one that I really enjoy… can’t find any reviews yet..

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #1,400 of 1,499
Musician Audio just released the Pegasus II wonder how this compares to the original one that I really enjoy… can’t find any reviews yet..
Peg #1 is truly not to be underestimated if it's setup to the max. The thing absolutely transforms with a high end sinewave clock, high end I2s in an isolated/grounded system, tuned ect. Even separating digital from analog grounds makes a difference and the Peg #1 will tell you that easily. One can get it to really have some finesse I can't help but think it is very underestimated by reviewers who even speak positively about it as they had not heard it with a proper sinewave clock ect. combined with reference level I2s which makes it FAR more precise and refined. I genuinely hope they keep the same formula with the Peg #2 it would not be hard to go backwards. A tiny bit of refinement in the bass and sped up in general a tiny bit somehow would be perfect. The Peg #1 is good for variety of people and budgets and I experienced it off of noisy power with lesser connections and enjoyed it then as well as a large upgrade but it's potential is the sky which is quite something for the price.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,401 of 1,499
Peg #1 is truly not to be underestimated if it's setup to the max. The thing absolutely transforms with a high end sinewave clock, high end I2s in an isolated/grounded system, tuned ect. Even separating digital from analog grounds makes a difference and the Peg #1 will tell you that easily. One can get it to really have some finesse I can't help but think it is very underestimated by reviewers who even speak positively about it as they had not heard it with a proper sinewave clock ect. combined with reference level I2s which makes it FAR more precise and refined. I genuinely hope they keep the same formula with the Peg #2 it would not be hard to go backwards. A tiny bit of refinement in the bass and sped up in general a tiny bit somehow would be perfect. The Peg #1 is good for variety of people and budgets and I experienced it off of noisy power with lesser connections and enjoyed it then as well as a large upgrade but it's potential is the sky which is quite something for the price.
Would you recommend a couple of those clocks? Thanks!

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #1,402 of 1,499
Would you recommend a couple of those clocks? Thanks!
I tried the Afterdark squarewave King. The one I got measured with more reduced phase noise than advertised or expected which was nice. I experienced more flowing rhythm from that clock, knocked an edge off glare/fatiguing elements of a poorly optimized system, certainly added some magic and some layers of depth (worth the money). It was quite a noticeable help in my bad network and quite noisy setup at that time. Streaming (vs a download) really benefits from the clocks too from what I can tell to help versus poorly optimized network. I enjoyed it, loved it! I then traded in the King for an Afterdark Emperor Triple Crown sinewave clock and it is completely different sound, not really comparable. Emperor Double Crown is probably a more reasonable choice than the Triple Crown as it's just a slight step and I would recommend that.

As far as recommending there is much to consider what you want! It's a pretty serious dive, for me it's worth it.

The Triple Crown is far more precise than the King with many deeper layers revealed in my noisy setup. The day I got that clock doing noise floor tests I discovered all kinds of noise in the inaudible range in my system (and some slightly in the audible range as well, at a level one could hear between songs somewhat) as it reveals EVERYTHING. This is after already having taken some lengths to isolate the system. Be prepared if using serious headphones with it (I'm using 32 Ohm 114Db Beryllium headphones + tube amp and RCA which was obviously not ideal for this room), you will hear bad recordings, hiss in anything if it's got a noise issue, hiss that's bad recording related, wifi routers, cellphones, every internal part of gaming PC that was 5 feet away (including mouse going across screen while the entire system was not even connected to the computer or even same outlet, this was mainly through EMI/RF into copper ground wires going into tube amp how this happened and had no idea that was happening with the King) you will know how each of your transformers is doing ect. if it's there it's revealed at least in the inaudible range. For the next two days I could hear my cellphone and wifi routers ect. and had to move everything around in the same small room for a couple of days as some of it was even in the audible range it spurred me on. My wifi routers also could be heard in my system which was acting like a big antennae and I had no idea before this once again!!! Most of this stuff was in the inaudible range but it lead me to greatly clean out my system and improve it which I learned improving inaudible noise and interference also greatly improves SQ as well. I would have never had a clue with the King clock and the sound was enjoyable too! I have all the same equipment in the same room today without the issues so it can be done.

The clocks are extremely sensitive to noise, vibration, how isolated they are, power cables (DC and the power cable that goes to the LPS). How they are setup and the result is proportional to directly what you put into them. I found the lowest noise LPS are from aliexpress and beat my Afterdark LPS with a purple fuse in it for the masterclock. It's transformer is noisy. Often transformers are noisy and almost all manufactures struggle to deal with this problem and it doesn't mean a bad product but I got unlucky there and got a noisier transformer in this case (sometimes my room gets hot and is a test to transformers apparently) and I don't consider it anyone's fault or a bad product (using it for my streamer instead of the clock and it does improve SQ) but the $50 AlieX talema LPS have been just ROCK solid (even when my room got too hot a few times and makes quite a few transformers hum these are still near dead silent and cool somehow!! The same transformer used in these is used in some of the very best audio equipment I've heard of). I need to get my clock more isolated from vibrations as it's on the same audio stand as the rest of things that is frequently shaken). It all has a part to play with a clock and you will get much more out of it setting it up properly (mine still isn't setup ideally but doing pretty dang good and worth it for sure). I can always tell it sounds better if I don't touch my stand and it really deserves it's own place where it is never touched or shaken even slightly. The clocks really do help versus noisy setups in a less than ideal setup and are still worth it IMO even then but will shine like no other if you get them optimized and I think I have mine at least halfway optimal to the best it can be.

Been meaning to share this stuff more, hopefully it's not too long or too off topic. All audio relates together in the end from what I've learned and I'm tired of putting out partial information that could potentially be misleading on this forum and I'd rather just say more of what I think needs to be said here. If I don't just put it out all there I will never share it as well.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #1,403 of 1,499
I tried the Afterdark squarewave King. The one I got measured with more reduced phase noise than advertised or expected which was nice. I experienced more flowing rhythm from that clock, knocked an edge off glare/fatiguing elements of a poorly optimized system, certainly added some magic and some layers of depth (worth the money). It was quite a noticeable help in my bad network and quite noisy setup at that time. Streaming (vs a download) really benefits from the clocks too from what I can tell to help versus poorly optimized network. I enjoyed it, loved it! I then traded in the King for an Afterdark Emperor Triple Crown sinewave clock and it is completely different sound, not really comparable. Emperor Double Crown is probably a more reasonable choice than the Triple Crown as it's just a slight step and I would recommend that.

As far as recommending there is much to consider what you want! It's a pretty serious dive, for me it's worth it.

The Triple Crown is far more precise than the King with many deeper layers revealed in my noisy setup. The day I got that clock doing noise floor tests I discovered all kinds of noise in the inaudible range in my system (and some slightly in the audible range as well, at a level one could hear between songs somewhat) as it reveals EVERYTHING. This is after already having taken some lengths to isolate the system. Be prepared if using serious headphones with it (I'm using 32 Ohm 114Db Beryllium headphones + tube amp and RCA which was obviously not ideal for this room), you will hear bad recordings, hiss in anything if it's got a noise issue, hiss that's bad recording related, wifi routers, cellphones, every internal part of gaming PC that was 5 feet away (including mouse going across screen while the entire system was not even connected to the computer or even same outlet, this was mainly through EMI/RF into copper ground wires going into tube amp how this happened and had no idea that was happening with the King) you will know how each of your transformers is doing ect. if it's there it's revealed at least in the inaudible range. For the next two days I could hear my cellphone and wifi routers ect. and had to move everything around in the same small room for a couple of days as some of it was even in the audible range it spurred me on. My wifi routers also could be heard in my system which was acting like a big antennae and I had no idea before this once again!!! Most of this stuff was in the inaudible range but it lead me to greatly clean out my system and improve it which I learned improving inaudible noise and interference also greatly improves SQ as well. I would have never had a clue with the King clock and the sound was enjoyable too! I have all the same equipment in the same room today without the issues so it can be done.

The clocks are extremely sensitive to noise, vibration, how isolated they are, power cables (DC and the power cable that goes to the LPS). How they are setup and the result is proportional to directly what you put into them. I found the lowest noise LPS are from aliexpress and beat my Afterdark LPS with a purple fuse in it for the masterclock. It's transformer is noisy. Often transformers are noisy and almost all manufactures struggle to deal with this problem and it doesn't mean a bad product but I got unlucky there and got a noisier transformer in this case (sometimes my room gets hot and is a test to transformers apparently) and I don't consider it anyone's fault or a bad product (using it for my streamer instead of the clock and it does improve SQ) but the $50 AlieX talema LPS have been just ROCK solid (even when my room got too hot a few times and makes quite a few transformers hum these are still near dead silent and cool somehow!! The same transformer used in these is used in some of the very best audio equipment I've heard of). I need to get my clock more isolated from vibrations as it's on the same audio stand as the rest of things that is frequently shaken). It all has a part to play with a clock and you will get much more out of it setting it up properly (mine still isn't setup ideally but doing pretty dang good and worth it for sure). I can always tell it sounds better if I don't touch my stand and it really deserves it's own place where it is never touched or shaken even slightly. The clocks really do help versus noisy setups in a less than ideal setup and are still worth it IMO even then but will shine like no other if you get them optimized and I think I have mine at least halfway optimal to the best it can be.

Been meaning to share this stuff more, hopefully it's not too long or too off topic. All audio relates together in the end from what I've learned and I'm tired of putting out partial information that could potentially be misleading on this forum and I'd rather just say more of what I think needs to be said here. If I don't just put it out all there I will never share it as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience, lots of valuable information there. I might go and experiment with clocks one day. :wink: :thumbsup:

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #1,404 of 1,499
Pegasus II was imminent because many of the parts have become obsolete or expensive. Same reason why Denafrips has come out with new versions. I wonder if they still use Silmic II caps despite a glimpse of one in a picture.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #1,405 of 1,499
After a year I still love my Pegasus with the purple fuse and don't really feel the need to upgrade/change. But of course, it would be interesting to hear if there is any improvement with the P2. Sometimes I wonder about trying the R26, Pontus II, or some entry level Holo Spring, but I am not sure if the upgrade would worth it. Compared to my limited experience with other R2R DACs, the Pegasus with the purple fuse has enough clarity to me with great spatial imaging and very pleasant realistic tone. Great part of my system.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #1,406 of 1,499
Sometimes I wonder about trying the R26, Pontus II, or some entry level Holo Spring, but I am not sure if the upgrade would worth it.
(1) Truly a downgrade. Everything in Gustard is marketing and lies. Streamer part is immature, hardware incapable to deal with. Only few streaming methods really work forcing users to use Ron as a renderer.

But even in DAC section there are problems. The advertised "Direct DSD" option is really an obsolete Sony Bitstream (tm) from early CD players. Nothing to compare with modern multibit DSD implementation in ESS, AKM or FIR-32 ladder section in Pegasus. They tried something, didn't work, then resorted to 1-bit decoding on a single resistor. Sic! 1-bit. In result users have to use HQPlayer upsampling facility to at least DSD256 to get a decent taste of DSD playback. Or convert to PCM...

And lies. They claim that the output stage is discrete, but there are 3 opamps in the audio path of each channel. Pegasus has no such problem, there are no opamps, problem solved. I noticed that number of users switched from R26 to the Audio GD and all are satisfied. I do recommend R-8HE, but even R-1 is an upgrade.

(2) Pontus is better in the power supply section, it has galvanic isolator on USB port. Not sure it is asynchronous over the isolator, but at least they tried. It has a balanced ladder. In all these aspects it is an upgrade.

(3) Holo Audio is a mistake. Scrambled with high frequency noise for better measurements. It is fatiguing on long sessions, in a different way as Delta-Sigma, maybe a lesser degree (personal matter).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #1,407 of 1,499
(1) Truly a downgrade. Everything in Gustard is marketing and lies. Streamer part is immature, hardware incapable to deal with. Only few streaming methods really work forcing users to use Ron as a renderer.

But even in DAC section there are problems. The advertised "Direct DSD" option is really an obsolete Sony Bitstream (tm) from early CD players. Nothing to compare with modern multibit DSD implementation in ESS, AKM or FIR-32 ladder section in Pegasus. They tried something, didn't work, then resorted to 1-bit decoding on a single resistor. Sic! 1-bit. In result users have to use HQPlayer upsampling facility to at least DSD256 to get a decent taste of DSD playback. Or convert to PCM...

And lies. They claim that the output stage is discrete, but there are 3 opamps in the audio path of each channel. Pegasus has no such problem, there are no opamps, problem solved. I noticed that number of users switched from R26 to the Audio GD and all are satisfied. I do recommend R-8HE, but even R-1 is an upgrade.

(2) Pontus is better in the power supply section, it has galvanic isolator on USB port. Not sure it is asynchronous over the isolator, but at least they tried. It has a balanced ladder. In all these aspects it is an upgrade.

(3) Holo Audio is a mistake. Scrambled with high frequency noise for better measurements. It is fatiguing on long sessions, in a different way as Delta-Sigma, maybe a lesser degree (personal matter).
1. But how lovely it sounds... R26 literally stopped my search for a better DAC. Initially I wanted to pull a trigger on Pegasus but gave up after reading a bunch of complaints on QC. I'm glad I don't care at all about technicalities behind DSD playback, because it works and despite of 16 years of aural training during musical education I'm not competent enough to discern DSD256 and hi-res 88/96/192kHz. Streamer part is surely not perfect, but it also gets the job done as long as one is fine with using mConnect or Roon (Tidal Connect works only on iOS AFAIK), especially integration with Roon is flawless. I kinda don't care much about the streamer too, because I believe even without streaming this DAC would be amazing and totally worth the price, and it's a nice extra feature to have. If you need a reliable streamer it usually costs a lot.
2. It could even be made of pure gold, but for most people it's the sound that matters and I've heard most often that Pontus is a sidegrade at best. I talked to one of room hosts at Audio Video Show Warsaw 2023 who had Pontus in his demo setup and asked him if he knew R26. He had both brands in his offer and he responded that, in his experience, R26 stomps Pontus and only Venus up could be considered an upgrade. Let's not forget that DACs are highly personal, subjective and sometimes also gear-dependant. I'm sure I would be very happy with a Pontus, but R26 happens to be exactly in the middle between Ares and Pontus price wise, and according to many, it's also better sounding than both, however some users find Denafrips DACs more "musical".
3. Won't comment on this one since I haven't heard any Holo, but the general opinion is that May is a significant upgrade to really any Gustard, Musician or Denafrips. "Let's not forget that DACs are highly personal, subjective and sometimes also gear-dependant."
Have you heard R26? Is there anything you disliked about its sound? It seems to me that you are trying to discredit it for no really significant reason, unless features like perfect DSD playback are crucial to you, then it's understandable, for me personally Pegasus-related QC issues were more concerning.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,408 of 1,499
Have you heard R26? Is there anything you disliked about its sound? It seems to me that you are trying to discredit it for no really significant reason, unless features like perfect DSD playback are crucial to you, then it's understandable, for me personally Pegasus-related QC issues were more concerning.
No, I haven't. My opinion on DSD Direct is based on many Gustard users reports, it sounds really crap. When you turn this option off you don't listen to DSD, but converted to PCM.

A general opinion on Gustard is built on users reports who during last year switched to Audio GD. There are users on this forum, now owners of R-8 (no wonder, as it is truly high end), second-hand R-28 or a new R-1 NOS. The later is a cheapest model, below $1k, but featuring fully balanced ladder (Gustard's ladder is unbalanced) and galvanic isolation on all ports, Gustard has no isolation on the USB port. When there are ground loops in the system, Toshlink sounds better than USB, it is normal.

I wouldn't trust opinion of a dealer who trade both brands, never. He will push a brand he get bigger markups, it is plain and simple. Especially in post communist Warsaw, this system has destroyed honesty in people, it will take couple generations to recover.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #1,409 of 1,499
I've owned two Pegasuses (Pegasii?), both of which I think are still in active use in this very thread by new owners. Also had the Pontus II, and currently a Venus II. IMO the Pegasus and the Pontus are close to one another, with the Pegasus being more airy and bigger soundstage and the Pontus II being a touch more "neutral" and flat sounding. The Venus is a marriage of the two.

I have no burning desire to move up again unless I find a screaming deal on a Rockna Wavelight or a Terminator II +

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #1,410 of 1,499
I wouldn't trust opinion of a dealer who trade both brands, never. He will push a brand he get bigger markups, it is plain and simple. Especially in post communist Warsaw, this system has destroyed honesty in people, it will take couple generations to recover.
Cmon, this answer is biased as hell. He knew I had R26 and we were just talking, as with many other audiophiles at this great show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back