Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #1,411 of 1,482
Experience.
Cmon, this answer is biased as hell. He knew I had R26 and we were just talking, as with many other audiophiles at this great show.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #1,412 of 1,482
I think all of these DACs can sound incredible when setup right in their own way. Best in audio overall is a thing but it often sells each unique thing short for sure. Sound trades like no other and they will all have some magic and advantages over each other so it is highly dependent on system and preferences (a thinner sounding audio chain might really benefit from the warmth, heavy wetness and extra thickness of the Pegasus over an R26 for instance). I can't stand thinner end or dry sound and I'd image if I had thinner headphones/amp the Peg would beat an R26 personally.

Not that upsampling is my thing, I pretty much never upsample, but I can speak for the Pegasus keeping up flawlessly with every large PCM/DSD HQP filter I threw at it with a 36 core PC (has 14 fans, and a 4090) even DSD512 and PCM even beyond 768k using I2s (lesser .5m I2s could not do it but the .75m Tubulus did!). HQP is not my thing though and I highly prefer lossless downloads. Only way to avoid extra roon/qobuz filters and get the max resolution is to buy the album and download it from what I can tell. Semi-optimized streaming still sounds nice though and I do use it all the time to fill in what I don't buy and for ease of use.

I'm using a Weiss DAC204 (not optimized yet) and it's incredible seeing what it does versus the Pegasus. Just completely different and I have to mix all digital things with some type of analog element to be happy. I've never tried a high end digital amp that are capable of being smoother which is part of the reason I think I have to do this. The DACs are truly and simply different making each one of them special and the Weiss DAC sounds amazing with tubes ect but still the Pegasus does some absolute magic the Weiss can't do and likewise the Weiss does some absolute magic the Pegasus can't do. The Pegasus excels at making thick 3D images in the low mids and mids and feels like real minature horns blowing on my face with weight that makes me literally question if it is touching me physically some of the time. Pegasus adds really nice warm extra fullness to many songs. The Pegasus + tube amp is such a nice double dose of wet and musical if you like that. I seem to be able to handle near syrup level quite well and some would not like that.

I am getting an R26 soon and will eventually experiment with ethernet setups on the streamer (some modification combos supposedly make it sound best this way some claim more than a clock/i2s). Seems that experiences with clocks are inconsistent out there. The R26 is a very different piece of equipment no doubt. I really like its internal layout and integrated streamer + remote. Overall value looks to be easily very high and as good or better than a Pegasus if you prefer its signature sound. I just don't think it's fair to ultimately judge these DACs or headphones unless they are highly tuned (have more tuning to do to mine for sure!!! and I've spent months tuning) I expect the R26 will not be as good at making the extra thick realistic 3D mids of the Pegasus (with clock/i2s) along with extra warm full tone that are very nice to me and give that generally fuller sound which is so valuable to me. The R26 will probably be a bit more expanded across the whole stage and faster (able to make fine detail instantly and continuously, fluidly ect.) with a bit more finesse vs even the clocked Peg if I had to guess but will have to trade away some of the extra thick goodness to do it. I suspect the R26 will be a bit more tonally correct and balanced across the board of many different types of recordings. I can't deny the Peg in my crazy system and headphones is pretty wild some of the time (I like combining tubes + R2R + musical headphones and cables, it gets rather euphonic and vibrant around here quite often)

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,413 of 1,482
Musician Audio just released the Pegasus II wonder how this compares to the original one that I really enjoy… can’t find any reviews yet..
+1. Was just about to post this.

I am considering a Pegasus ii (leaning towards) and/or Audio Gd N1OS, and then will ditch my Draco and/or Gustard X18 depending on what I hear...

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #1,414 of 1,482
Random question: can the outputs on the Pegasus be used simultaneously? (the Draco cannot even have rca and XLR outputs plugged in simultaneously)

Jan 6, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #1,415 of 1,482
Random question: can the outputs on the Pegasus be used simultaneously? (the Draco cannot even have rca and XLR outputs plugged in simultaneously)
Not.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #1,417 of 1,482
+1. Was just about to post this.

I am considering a Pegasus ii (leaning towards) and/or Audio Gd N1OS, and then will ditch my Draco and/or Gustard X18 depending on what I hear...
I did see a review (Thabamar) and of course no mention of Voldemort or the elephant in the room. Just high praise and 'performance improvements'. Same as always and I sense a strong bias (by whatever cause but definitely an NDA in there). I have already mentioned this several times do I won't get into details again. I don't want to ruffle any feathers.

But...

I also saw a comparison of the internals. And what he said does clearly not correspond to what I saw. Besides a different chip or so I saw no more red Wima caps and again cheaper PS caps. What I saw is cost reduction on the internals. Not upgrades. So-called shrinkflation.

Go look it up, pause the vid and form your own opinion.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #1,419 of 1,482
Hey all :)
I've read me trough almost the entire Pegasus Forum according to the Fuse-Upgrade Thing and I ran into a weird issue:
I recently bought a Pegasus for a great price and let it sit and listened here and there for two weeks until now.
I wanted to try the upgrading fuses myself and opened my device, BUT...
I noticed right away that both of the fuses are rated for 1!Ampere Slow not 2A like everyone typing here - super weird? Some kind of revision?
Well - I've thought about it for a while and decided to go with my devices specs and bought one 30ish euro ahp fuse 1A Slow since I live in germany just to give it a try.
I replaced the fuse as told positioned on the long side of both the 5VDC converters.

Right away there was an instant upgrade in resolution/fine detailing, cleaner, better space/background/stage noticable - super nice so far!
Then...I listened for some days, turned the Pegasus on and off (standby/on) and today I started my PC, tried to turn on the DAC from Standby and
a little lightspark formed right on the end of the Power Plug. The Pegasus now does not show any led since BOTH of the fuses just blew out.

What happened here?! :frowning2: Is it really due to the 1A fuses instead of the 2A everyone apparently uses in his device?
But if so, why did my device work for such a long time then? I can't explain any of this weird happening.

Now I've no clue wether to buy 2 cheapo 2A slow's for now (just to check DAC's health) or replace them as original again with 2x 1A ones.
Anyone? Thanks a lot for help...!

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #1,420 of 1,482
I've read me trough almost the entire Pegasus Forum according to the Fuse-Upgrade Thing and I ran into a weird issue:
I recently bought a Pegasus for a great price and let it sit and listened here and there for two weeks until now.
I noticed right away that both of the fuses are rated for 1!Ampere Slow not 2A like everyone typing here - super weird? Some kind of revision?
Well - I've thought about it for a while and decided to go with my devices specs and bought one 30ish euro ahp fuse 1A Slow since I live in germany just to give it a try.
I replaced the fuse as told positioned on the long side of both the 5VDC converters.

Right away there was an instant upgrade in resolution/fine detailing, cleaner, better space/background/stage noticable - super nice so far!
Then...I listened for some days, turned the Pegasus on and off (standby/on) and today I started my PC, tried to turn on the DAC from Standby and
a little lightspark formed right on the end of the Power Plug. The Pegasus now does not show any led since BOTH of the fuses just blew out.

What happened here?! :frowning2: Is it really due to the 1A fuses instead of the 2A everyone apparently uses in his device?
But if so, why did my device work for such a long time then? I can't explain any of this weird happening.

Now I've no clue wether to buy 2 cheapo 2A slow's for now (just to check DAC's health) or replace them as original again with 2x 1A ones.
That is strange indeed. Did you buy your Pegasus used? Perhaps the previous owner put the wrong fuses in. As far as I am aware, they should be 2A. Probably just your fuses blew and the DAC should be fine. I see, you are in Germany, which means with 230V changing one fuse is enough. (Just make sure you change the correct one.)
Also, for the DACs long term health it is better to just leave it on 24/7, unless you go away for days.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #1,421 of 1,482
If a second fuse is blown (while not in use), it suggests that autodetect circuit got confused and switched to the 110V AC source mode. In such case it could be more damages, 2A fuses won't help.
Put original fuses back and power on. If get blown, you need bring a DAC to a technician.

BTW, Ratings of these expensive fuses cannot be trusted. They are not tested in a controlled environment as large companies do. It is why there is a chance that there is no damages.

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #1,422 of 1,482

Just a general wisdom. Always plug in your power chord to the device, then into the wall socket. Zuerst am Apparat, dann an die Wand.

Sparks flying is never good. It is a power surge that also corrodes the contacts. The closer the pins are and the higher the current the more chance of damage when plugging in. I noticed it when using a power brick for a small class D amp. You'd think it's only 14V and harmless, but when I plugged in the small round DC plug the sparks flew. It's tempting to leave the chord in the wall socket, especially in a rack with lots of cables, but it's bad practice.

A 2A fuse is overkill for a dac. But the wire inside is thicker. With overcurrent it is supposed to melt and break the circuit to protect the device. Use the working old fuse and just try. Only plug in in the correct order this time.

Mar 1, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #1,423 of 1,482
There are 2 x 1A slow (T) fuses in my Pegasus as well. When I removed the second fuse (required for 110V) and pressed the button, after a while the one required for 230V was blown. So I put both as they were before (2x 1A) and everything works.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #1,425 of 1,482
Hi all, I need your help..I´m considering the Pegasus but can only use the RCA outputs. Can someone describe me what exactly I will be missing not using the XLR outputs?
Thanks!
XLR output to me sounds clearer, more spacious, more dynamic. Enhanced clarity most of all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back