Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #1,456 of 1,482
I used to leave my Pegasuses (Pegasii?) on 24/7. The only time there were in "standby" mode was if we had a power outage. My Denafrips Venus has been on 24/7 since I got it more than a year ago.

Internal components, especially the clock "ovens" like constant power to maintain precise timing, etc.

Also, replace those fuses inside the Pegasus!

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #1,457 of 1,482
I used to leave my Pegasuses (Pegasii?) on 24/7. The only time there were in "standby" mode was if we had a power outage. My Denafrips Venus has been on 24/7 since I got it more than a year ago.

Internal components, especially the clock "ovens" like constant power to maintain precise timing, etc.

Musician Taurus in your zoDiAC ? ... 😜

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #1,459 of 1,482
That is my intention in the next step along with some quality power cables and plugs. After that I plan to upgrade to a desired HE1000SE and then I'm done. At least for some time... 🤣

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #1,460 of 1,482
I see you've got the Musician DDC, how do you like it? Did it improve your Pegasus? Did you compare it to other DDC:s?
As I stated recently, I just gathered my equipment and did not even listen to it so far. Presently I have my Aune S17 Pro in the service for a firmware update (that solves some minor volume knob issues) and I am still waiting for my ordered quality I2S HDMI cable to come. But from other users opinions there is definitely a noticeable improvement in sound quality with a DDC in your system. Especially if you are streaming from a PC (which is basically a noise factory) DDC or any kind of jitter filter is a must. You want that noise and jitter from your USB source to be filtered out. That is where a DDC do it's job.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #1,462 of 1,482
Hey all ☺️
I thought about something different to make the pegasus sound better:
Musician uses new/different/better capacitors in their "Upgraded" Peg II.
I also experienced the impact of changing crappy caps in some gear which got upgraded/modified and it definitely makes a difference, more or less depending on what you use.
Since my work has a lot to do with electronics/soldering it would'nt be a problem for me swapping them for some higher audio grade caps (replacing them all will take some time, they're many). I'm kinda curious and I like modding/enchancing stuff.
It's definitely cheaper to replace them compared to buying a 200+$ fuse.

Anyone with thoughts/opinion to that? Let me know!

Btw short thing: my second pair of 1A Slow fuses just blew out.
I'm really starting to think some weird ass dude changed the original 2A's for 1's. Luckily I 'only' paid 25€ per fuse but still, it's just super annoying lol.

Apr 3, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #1,464 of 1,482
@jonathan c
Do you keep your Taurus 24/7 too?
It is plugged directly into surge suppressor / wall socket for dedicated power line / circuit. No power conditioning. The small 'standby' red light is on.

Apr 3, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #1,465 of 1,482
Hey all ☺️
I thought about something different to make the pegasus sound better:
Musician uses new/different/better capacitors in their "Upgraded" Peg II.
I also experienced the impact of changing crappy caps in some gear which got upgraded/modified and it definitely makes a difference, more or less depending on what you use.
Since my work has a lot to do with electronics/soldering it would'nt be a problem for me swapping them for some higher audio grade caps (replacing them all will take some time, they're many). I'm kinda curious and I like modding/enchancing stuff.
It's definitely cheaper to replace them compared to buying a 200+$ fuse.

Anyone with thoughts/opinion to that? Let me know!

Btw short thing: my second pair of 1A Slow fuses just blew out.
I'm really starting to think some weird ass dude changed the original 2A's for 1's. Luckily I 'only' paid 25€ per fuse but still, it's just super annoying lol.
There are a couple of 1A slow fuses in my Pegasus too and they work without problems. I replaced them with cheap audio Aucharm fuses from China. I paid 9 euros for 3 pieces

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #1,466 of 1,482
There are a couple of 1A slow fuses in my Pegasus too and they work without problems. I replaced them with cheap audio Aucharm fuses from China. I paid 9 euros for 3 pieces
Thanks for the info. Super weird then. Really can't tell what's wrong then because dac itself working fine.. Can anyone explain why there are versions with 1 and 2A Fuses?

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #1,467 of 1,482
Thanks for the info. Super weird then. Really can't tell what's wrong then because dac itself working fine.. Can anyone explain why there are versions with 1 and 2A Fuses?
Try asking the manufacturer Musician about it. We'll see what he advises to do. Maybe put 2 X 2A fuses there. Sorry for the bad english, google translator.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #1,468 of 1,482
As for capacitors, I have my own experience of replacing about 21 pcs in Sony WM1Z. Everyone there uses the top Audio note kaisei. It was very demanding and stressful. There is more bass after the replacement, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort, risk, and money for new capacitors and wires. However, it is a much smaller PCB than in the Pegasus. Until someone tries it, we won't know if it's worth it.

Attachments

• Sony 1.jpg
    Sony 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back