Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #1,427 of 1,482
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #1,428 of 1,482
Mar 20, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #1,429 of 1,482
Maybe I will give it a try...now the next question, Pegasus 1 or 2 😅
In my humble opinion I don't think that Peg II is a big upgrade. To me it felt more like a "need" to push another device in 3 years and with the same cost as the first plus Inflation, I'm really somewhat concerned about the manufacturers talks of all the benefits. But, of course, with a grain of salt since I did not hear the new one personally.

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #1,430 of 1,482
In my humble opinion I don't think that Peg II is a big upgrade. To me it felt more like a "need" to push another device in 3 years and with the same cost as the first plus Inflation, I'm really somewhat concerned about the manufacturers talks of all the benefits. But, of course, with a grain of salt since I did not hear the new one personally.
A couple of early reviews say, the Pegasus II is not a huge improvement and probably not worth the upgrade if someone already owns the Pegasus I. I guess, the decision should be based on price and need for warranty.

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #1,433 of 1,482
Has anybody tried different fuses other than the SR Purples? I'm currently using Aucharms, and they're fantastic for the $, but interested to hear about others.
I also do use aucharm and ahp's. They're great for me. The SR is just too expensive for me but well, when there is again some improvement with them why not
Edit: I would really love to see someone testing the high end SR against those cheap aliexpress models..

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,435 of 1,482
In my country, anything high-end is hard to sell in the local bazaars. This is how I bought the Pegasus in silver. Now I found another one. Black for 700 euros. Try looking at it. https://elektro.bazos.sk/inzerat/161404031/musician-audio-pegasus-r2r-dac-prevodnik.php
I love how straightforward the ad is in google translate. First line: "Buy this R2R DAC converter, it has perfect sound." Simple as that. :o2smile:
By the way the seller also mentions that he is selling his Pegasus because he finds XLR to sound superior to RCA since it is a balanced DAC but his system preference would be RCA and this way he won't get the absolute maximum out if his Pegasus. I also recall Musician encouraging the use of XLR.

Mar 20, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #1,436 of 1,482
I love how straightforward the ad is in google translate. First line: "Buy this R2R DAC converter, it has perfect sound." Simple as that. :o2smile:
By the way the seller also mentions that he is selling his Pegasus because he finds XLR to sound superior to RCA since it is a balanced DAC but his system preference would be RCA and this way he won't get the absolute maximum out if his Pegasus. I also recall Musician encouraging the use of XLR.
What do you mean? For me, misunderstandings may arise from an inaccurate translation using Google translator. I don't know English.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #1,437 of 1,482
Gotta say I'm very happy with both RCA and XLR with the Pegasus. Used both a bunch at this point. Hard to be worried about it either way. I can't see one being better than the other assuming RCA issues are worked out. I do think XLR is better in general because it's much more resilient to ground loops and interference. Working out RCA issues has been a pain at times for sure!!! If RCA is TLC it seems to be really good.

Also, must say the Peg with Audio Envy AES really hangs in there and also wins quite a bit vs my Gustard R26 with Tubulus/Audiolund I2s and Weiss DAC 204 with Atlas/Audio Envy Coax. This DAC is a favorite quite a bit of the time for me, but so are the others too. It is the best at sounding generally rich and glossing things with a lifelike coating of some sort. I thought I might would sell it to recoup some after buying these other more expensive DACs but nope it's too good for that and gets used every day. It's also the best to me of the 3 DACs with the Jot 2 as well.

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #1,438 of 1,482
Gotta say I'm very happy with both RCA and XLR with the Pegasus. Used both a bunch at this point. Hard to be worried about it either way. I can't see one being better than the other assuming RCA issues are worked out. I do think XLR is better in general because it's much more resilient to ground loops and interference. Working out RCA issues has been a pain at times for sure!!! If RCA is TLC it seems to be really good.

Also, must say the Peg with Audio Envy AES really hangs in there and also wins quite a bit vs my Gustard R26 with Tubulus/Audiolund I2s and Weiss DAC 204 with Atlas/Audio Envy Coax. This DAC is a favorite quite a bit of the time for me, but so are the others too. It is the best at sounding generally rich and glossing things with a lifelike coating of some sort. I thought I might would sell it to recoup some after buying these other more expensive DACs but nope it's too good for that and gets used every day. It's also the best to me of the 3 DACs with the Jot 2 as well.
Is yours a Pegasus 1 or 2? I just bought an R26, and I am curious to hear more about your thoughts about the two.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #1,439 of 1,482
Is yours a Pegasus 1 or 2? I just bought an R26, and I am curious to hear more about your thoughts about the two.
To late, Pegasus allows to build better system with high end downstream components. R26 may work well with a middle tier amplifiers, but its opamp based output stage will never create such low level details rich black background as Pegasus.

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #1,440 of 1,482
To late, Pegasus allows to build better system with high end downstream components. R26 may work well with a middle tier amplifiers, but its opamp based output stage will never create such low level details rich black background as Pegasus.
Interesting. R26 has received such strong reviews. I bought it from Amazon, so it is not too late to return it.

Pegasus 2, Audio Gd N1OS, and Holo Cyan 2 are all on my radar. I want something that's meaningfully better than my Musician Draco. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back