Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Sep 14, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #1,366 of 1,502
I would agree to what your saying. I was in the same boat and it was the best my research suggested. I've never had any issues with mine. It's a ton of fun to try differen't outputs and works great with a DDC. I2S is the best, AES second for me with USB and Toslink coming out last. All have quite unique signatures. It's quite interesting how much so as many confirm. Bass slams with great new textures compared to what I was used to. Nice smooth R2R ladder DAC analog sound that keeps some musicality with some really decent staging/separation improvement for me as well. Stuff I had before was XLR modius ES/Jot2, chord mojo 2 bunch of other stuff but nothing this nice. I bought mine used and already broken in with 2 purple fuses already in it for under $1k. It's really good to add the purple fuses from what I hear but did not experience it without them which is a considerable cost and improvement that can be added later on too.
Thanks much for the insight. I’m currently using primarily the Earmen Tradutto DAC which is good but I’m looking forward to hearing how much the stage improves with the Pegasus.

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #1,367 of 1,502
Hi, need some advice. I am using HA-3A to drive ZMF Atrium, Senn HD800S and Audio Technica ATH-AWAS. I cannot get pass 9 o'clock of volume knob for all outputs and impedance settings. My player is DMP-A6, dac is Musician Pegasus. I am using the balanced output of Pegasus. For all my headphones pass 9 o'clock will be too loud. Is this normal? Should I try to lower the signal before feeding to HA-3A? Is there any good way to do this without compromising sound quality? There is zero noise problem for all settings.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #1,368 of 1,502
Hi, first of all nice equipment setup!
I think the impedance switch should adjust for the volume. Does that switch make any difference? I would probably ask a dealer like Moon Audio to see if they have any insight on this. If it’s an issue they have seen before they should be able to recommend a fix.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #1,369 of 1,502
Hi, need some advice. I am using HA-3A to drive ZMF Atrium, Senn HD800S and Audio Technica ATH-AWAS. I cannot get pass 9 o'clock of volume knob for all outputs and impedance settings. My player is DMP-A6, dac is Musician Pegasus. I am using the balanced output of Pegasus. For all my headphones pass 9 o'clock will be too loud. Is this normal? Should I try to lower the signal before feeding to HA-3A? Is there any good way to do this without compromising sound quality? There is zero noise problem for all settings.
Second that, I have the same minor issue with Pegasus driving my new Moon 340iX and also interested in potential solution which wouldn't ruin its beautiful sound

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #1,370 of 1,502
This is a problem over time with lots of sources into pre-amps. Sonically Least invasive way is change resistor values in the volume pot so average volume would be 12 O’clockish. Easy with a kit like the BHC - esp since it’s a known issue with an answer. not so much with a manufactured item - a good tech could do it but resale/remaining warranty out the window.

Other things like another volume buffer is going to hurt the sound.

Learning to live with it is the least fuss.

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #1,371 of 1,502
Hello everyone, today I connected my PC to the Musician Pegasus via an SMSL PO100 Pro via I2S. I tried to configure the I2S connection correctly using the SMSL and Musician documentation. In the SMSL manual the following description can be found:
SMSL PO100Pro I2S.jpg

The Musicion Pegasus website has the following description:
Musician Pegasus I2S.jpg
To keep things as simple as possible, I set the SMSL PO 100 Pro to Mode 1 and only changed the settings on the Musician Pegasus. Beforehand I had compared the pinouts of the descriptions of the two manufacturers and was of the opinion that SMSL I2S mode 1 should fit to Pegasus I2S mode 5, but I could not confirm this in my test. You can see my test results in the following table:
I2S testing result.jpg
So after my test, I had two mode settings on the Musician Pegasus that sounded correct to me. In order to select one of the two correct sounding modes here, I looked at the description of Musician and wanted to determine what the difference of the pin assignment between the mode 5, which I originally assumed to be correct, and the correct sounding modes 3 and 4. I found out that the + and - of the signals "Data" and "BCK" are swapped both when comparing mode 3 with mode 5 and when comparing mode 4 with mode 5. In my understanding this means that the I2S connection is correct if the pins + and - of the signals are swapped between the two devices (in my case Pegasus and PO100 Pro). The difference between mode 3 and mode 4 is, that in mode 4 also at the signal "LRCK" + and - are swapped compared to mode 5, in mode 3 not. Therefore I assume that mode 4 at the Musician Pegasus and mode 1 at the SMSL PO100 Pro establishes the correct I2S connection, I operate the combination for now with these settings.

I hope the explanation makes sense somehow and maybe can help someone with a similar need. If I make a mistake with this configuration, definitely let me know!

Best regards

Bojan
Hello, were you able to get the SMSL PO 100 Pro working with the Pegasus for DSD as well?

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,372 of 1,502
My setup is the Pegasus plays into either a Topping A70 pro (solid state) or a Cavelli Liquid Platinum (tubes). The gain on both amps is fine with this DAC. So I think there is no “problem” just a gain issue in your case.
I hope you can mitigate or work through the issue as this is an excellent DAC!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #1,375 of 1,502
I am aware that Pegasus is a better DAC than IFI zen dac v1, but will it be a significant improvement on my current setup?
Foobar (pc) -> dac balance out ->violectric v222-> HE1000 stealth
Thanks in advance
The Zen DAC is a great little entry level DAC. Pegasus is a different category, so yes, you should be able to hear the improvement. You could expect a bigger soundstage, better imaging, more life-like timbre and so on. With an upgrade fuse you can also further improve clarity, but even in stock form the Pegasus should be quite a jump from the Zen.

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #1,376 of 1,502
The Zen DAC is a great little entry level DAC. Pegasus is a different category, so yes, you should be able to hear the improvement. You could expect a bigger soundstage, better imaging, more life-like timbre and so on. With an upgrade fuse you can also further improve clarity, but even in stock form the Pegasus should be quite a jump from the Zen.
Do you mean these two internal fuse?

Attachments

• IMG_8723.jpeg
    IMG_8723.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #1,378 of 1,502
Yes. You need to swap both fuses if you are in a 115V country and only one fuse in a 230V country. But the fuse swap can wait. First enjoy the DAC in stock form.:thumbsup:
I haven’t bought the Pegasus yet, but should be very soon. 🤞🏾
Yes like I do in IEMs and portables, always enjoy in stock form first before upgrading.
Noticed you are using eversolo A6, may I ask why you didn’t get the master edition one?

Nov 28, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #1,379 of 1,502
I haven’t bought the Pegasus yet, but should be very soon. 🤞🏾
Yes like I do in IEMs and portables, always enjoy in stock form first before upgrading.
Noticed you are using eversolo A6, may I ask why you didn’t get the master edition one?
Because I only use it as a streamer and prefer external R2R DACs. The streamer part is the same in the Master A6. I am not too fussed about either of the built in d/s DACs.
I know, it sounds a bit like wasting money on the built in EverSolo DAC, but the streamer bit is so good and clean sounding, it is worth the asking price alone.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,380 of 1,502
I am aware that Pegasus is a better DAC than IFI zen dac v1, but will it be a significant improvement on my current setup?
Foobar (pc) -> dac balance out ->violectric v222-> HE1000 stealth
Thanks in advance
I have the HE1000 Stealth as well, and when I upgraded to the Pegasus there was a big improvement in the spaciousness and clarity of the sound. Amazing difference and well worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back