Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #856 of 1,499
What digital input connections do you guys prefer on the Pegasus? I own an AudioQuest Diamond USB. I love the details I am getting but it may sound dry or digital. I also own a Coaxial cable from a Poland brand called Audiomica. It's a lower-tier cable compared to the Diamond USB. It sounds warmer but way less detail retrieval also lacking in resolution. I am planning to get a new cable to solve my problem and thinking which I should go for. Unfortunately in Hong Kong we don't get to audition the cable before purchasing. So any info or suggestions from you guys will do me a great help to decide.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #857 of 1,499
1. Keep Pegasus powered on for at least two weeks to let it burn-in. Check sound changing every day, it will suddenly open (it happen in our brain too).

2. Try self-powered USB 2.0 hub. It helps redirecting ground loops from PC source. It needs some power cable management and adding ferrite chokes on the USB cable between hub and Pegasus. A cable betwen PC and hub should not have ferrite choke and it must use thick wires as opposed of a thick plastic. Measure resistance of a cable wires. Rubbish cables can measure as high as 1 Ohm per meter.

3. This will be easier, but is more expensive... Try commercial ground loop redirectors like iFi Defender with external power supply. If helps, invest in higher quality linear PSU. Avoid USB clock regenerators, it is not helping with Pegasus.

4. Converters to S/PDIF may improve sound. If it does, it confirms ground loops problem.

5. Try a poorman DDC on the link below. It should be be used in combination with #2 or #3 as it doesn't have galvanic isolation on USB port. You can use S/PDIF output or I2S. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dou...or-an-affordable-clean-digital-signal.958462/

6. Get a real $$$ DDC like Audio GD DI-20, this one is recommended. But first wait for Pegasus burn in. :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #858 of 1,499
1. Keep Pegasus powered on for at least two weeks to let it burn-in. Check sound changing every day, it will suddenly open (it happen in our brain too).

2. Try self-powered USB 2.0 hub. It helps redirecting ground loops from PC source. It needs some power cable management and adding ferrite chokes on the USB cable between hub and Pegasus. A cable betwen PC and hub should not have ferrite choke and it must use thick wires as opposed of a thick plastic. Measure resistance of a cable wires. Rubbish cables can measure as high as 1 Ohm per meter.

3. This will be easier, but is more expensive... Try commercial ground loop redirectors like iFi Defender with external power supply. If helps, invest in higher quality linear PSU. Avoid USB clock regenerators, it is not helping with Pegasus.

4. Converters to S/PDIF may improve sound. If it does, it confirms ground loops problem.

5. Try a poorman DDC on the link below. It should be be used in combination with #2 or #3 as it doesn't have galvanic isolation on USB port. You can use S/PDIF output or I2S. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dou...or-an-affordable-clean-digital-signal.958462/

6. Get a real $$$ DDC like Audio GD DI-20, this one is recommended. But first wait for Pegasus burn in. :)
Thanks for the info. I do have nicely managed power supply and all my routers and network switch powered with LPS. I do have a jCat lan filter and Innuos ZenMini Mk3 Roon core server which takes care of my network and USB noise. I do believe it's the matter of my signal cables rather than the mentioned issues. Heading into the 2nd month for my Pegasus so it's well burned in. But again thanks for your kind info really appreciated.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #859 of 1,499
What digital input connections do you guys prefer on the Pegasus? I own an AudioQuest Diamond USB. I love the details I am getting but it may sound dry or digital. I also own a Coaxial cable from a Poland brand called Audiomica. It's a lower-tier cable compared to the Diamond USB. It sounds warmer but way less detail retrieval also lacking in resolution. I am planning to get a new cable to solve my problem and thinking which I should go for. Unfortunately in Hong Kong we don't get to audition the cable before purchasing. So any info or suggestions from you guys will do me a great help to decide.
If you have an optical output, try optical as well (try with a cheap cable). I found it very well behaved. Best for me was I2s from a Singer Su-6 though (but optical was very, very close). I did not like USB and all others were in between (I don't have good cables for coax and AES).

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #860 of 1,499
If you have an optical output, try optical as well (try with a cheap cable). I found it very well behaved. Best for me was I2s from a Singer Su-6 though (but optical was very, very close). I did not like USB and all others were in between (I don't have good cables for coax and AES).
I2S don’t work for me and my LUMIN network ttransport but I do not want to go the optical route due to low resolution capable rate.Thanks for the suggestions! 🙏🏻

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #861 of 1,499
Does anyone know if Pegasus is compatible with Linux based digital audio players? My source is a Sony NW-WM1A with a Sony WMC-NWH10 high resolution USB adapter. It works properly with a few mid-fi USB DACs that I have tried but they have more traditional USB receiver chips. It did not work with a Schitt multibit DAC which used a more custom USB implementation. I'd like to know if anyone has experience with the Pegasus DAC along with a similar source component?

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #863 of 1,499
Hi guys, can somebody clarify me the problems with global volume adjustment in Windows? On my Schiit Lyr Multibit (working as headamp/preamp now) everything is working well. Just installed fresh Win10 and Win8 today to check if that's not my setup problem. No adjustments on fresh setups also

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #865 of 1,499
I bought the Draco for fun as price was nice! To my surprise it has more details and sounds faster and more lively than my Denafrips Pontus II. For one day playing Draco just lacking body and 3d layering of Pontus. My question is are the new Pegasus have the straight back as opposed to the curve top plate? I have also a Gustard u18 on order.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #866 of 1,499
Wondering if how much of a sonic jump you get from Pegasus to Aquarius? Power supply seems similar and so are resistors. Only major difference is the two Oxco clocks and two resistor ladder boards per channel. Any feedback appreciated?

Apr 3, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #868 of 1,499
Hello all - just join the ranks of the Musician Pegasus family over the weekend. Really digging this DAC and it's capabilities. Still learning all the good bits and tweaks. Anyone have any helpful, constructive info they would be kind enough to share?

Thanks!

Apr 5, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #869 of 1,499
Just to post my recent findings on the Musician Pegasus. I replaced the internal fuse with the Synergistic Research purple fuse today. And WoW! It's a mind-blowing upgrade!! The sound stage widens in all directions. I get smoother treble, more emotional vocals (Vocals backed off a bit & less in your face, it's more laid back which I prefer.) Way deeper bass. Blacker background and much more micro details. I might sound crazy to claim a single fuse would bring all those I mentioned to the table. I couldn't believe it when I do my research but saw their 30days return policy so I gave it a shot. I think this is the single most impactful HiFi investment I've ever made. It's expensive for a single fuse but let's think this way if a $200 fuse can improve your setup's SQ in a very significant way then it's not that expensive! I do own the Chord TT2 but always wanted to give the R2R DAC hype a try. The TT2 is still better but after changing the fuse the Pegasus is not that far away!

tempImagecN0Fkr.jpg7220C5D6-DF5E-4494-B502-B966E1B32A5F.jpg
May I ask how many mm and how many A of the fuse you bought?

Apr 5, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #870 of 1,499
May I ask how many mm and how many A of the fuse you bought?
You will need 1 if you are in a 230v country, 2 if in 110/120v country. There's specific details HERE with details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back