Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Jul 11, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,308 of 1,491
Anyone? I wonder if quality deterioration also occurs if the second amp is turned off.
Yes, it does. This information should be added to the first page.

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,310 of 1,491
I can confirm the problem, even if only the cables are plugged in. Unfortunately, it is not enough to switch off the second amp. You can also hear a cracking noise when connecting the second output.

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,314 of 1,491
Hello folks,
I am interested in SUPREME³ 2A 5x20mm fuse for Pegasus if someone will sell it. Thank you for your offers.

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #1,315 of 1,491
Hey all. Just got my Pegasus R2R dac with two purple fuses from here at hifi. It is wonderful no doubt but I have had alot of gremlins in the last week as I also got a new tube amp which uses RCA with my gaming pc as a source. I also found out that my cellphone heavily interacts with my usb cords, headphone cables and tubes. I can't even keep it in the same room within 10-15 feet it's very frequently noticeable. I had a huge improvement from an ifi ground defender plugged into my amp power cord. No more hearing the mouse zing around or the GPU in my ears and the noise floor dropped too. I'm still getting pops when I load up games and other stuff from the usb loop. I'm running everything off of a 1500W sinewave APC. I have a highly rated $40 ac noise conditioner, ifi purifier3 and silencer+, ferrite coated USB cable, non powered usb hub among other things coming.

All of this then led me to buy a Gustard U18 which sounds like it might solve it all :). I may can return some of this stuff and just use I2s or AES which will probably even be an upgrade. This leads me to my questions. When reading through this thread I became quite unclear about the current consensus about I2s and AES vs I2s with this DAC. Sounds like the older model I2s doesn't work? I've tested my DAC and it I2s lights come on with a regular HDMI plugged in and can be adjusted with the button so I assume mine could work with I2s. I'm not clear this is correct but it sounds like Denafrips and perhaps the Pegasus use a different I2s standard and I need to modify the cable or get a specific one? Seems like some cases don't need to do anything to the cables to make I2s work.

Is there anything I need besides an I2s/AES cable to use the U18 with AES or I2s? I am open to AES/I2s cable suggestions I still need to buy those. Any help is appreciated.

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,316 of 1,491
Hey all. Just got my Pegasus R2R dac with two purple fuses from here at hifi. It is wonderful no doubt but I have had alot of gremlins in the last week as I also got a new tube amp which uses RCA with my gaming pc as a source. I also found out that my cellphone heavily interacts with my usb cords, headphone cables and tubes. I can't even keep it in the same room within 10-15 feet it's very frequently noticeable. I had a huge improvement from an ifi ground defender plugged into my amp power cord. No more hearing the mouse zing around or the GPU in my ears and the noise floor dropped too. I'm still getting pops when I load up games and other stuff from the usb loop. I'm running everything off of a 1500W sinewave APC. I have a highly rated $40 ac noise conditioner, ifi purifier3 and silencer+, ferrite coated USB cable, non powered usb hub among other things coming.

All of this then led me to buy a Gustard U18 which sounds like it might solve it all :). I may can return some of this stuff and just use I2s or AES which will probably even be an upgrade. This leads me to my questions. When reading through this thread I became quite unclear about the current consensus about I2s and AES vs I2s with this DAC. Sounds like the older model I2s doesn't work? I've tested my DAC and it I2s lights come on with a regular HDMI plugged in and can be adjusted with the button so I assume mine could work with I2s. I'm not clear this is correct but it sounds like Denafrips and perhaps the Pegasus use a different I2s standard and I need to modify the cable or get a specific one? Seems like some cases don't need to do anything to the cables to make I2s work.

Is there anything I need besides an I2s/AES cable to use the U18 with AES or I2s? I am open to AES/I2s cable suggestions I still need to buy those. Any help is appreciated.
I had an early gen Pegasus and had to get it modded for I2S via Hdmi. Its not that denafrips or pegasus is non-standard, its that I2S has no standard. Fortunately, with denafrips and pegasus, you can config the dac to one of many I2S pinouts to make it work.

Your gremlin problem sounds like you need to galvanically isolate your USB.

Aug 6, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #1,317 of 1,491
Use a USB hub. Specifically, a powered one but don't plug it in. PC's are notoriously noisy.

Aug 6, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #1,318 of 1,491
Use a USB hub. Specifically, a powered one but don't plug it in. PC's are notoriously noisy.
@phoneslave86. Always, a self powered one. Or ifi Defender (not a power defender, not sure it is rated for 1500W), with external PSU.

However in this case I think a 'sinewave' APC UPS cause a problem. Even if a sinewave is generated acccurately (which I doubt), it is a high-frequency chopper that spread EMI. I suggest to remove it from a chain, together with all power 'improvements', it should be a difference. The audiophile grade power regenerators use low frequency for power conversion, but they are expensive.

If you have to use UPS rather use a pure off-line UPS (not a line interactive with some voltage regulation ability) that switches to the backup power only when AC power is gone or out of range. Grounding your PC is important, contact the user @OCC7N, he is using a similar 'monster' system and has recommendation for a low noise PC power supply.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,319 of 1,491
]@OCC7N[/USER], he is using a similar 'monster' system and has recommendation for a low noise PC power supply.
My best experience is: It all depends on the DAC AMP Headphone pairing.....

Recommendation:
Grounding motherboard to external grounding solution
PCI USB card with good clock = I have great experience with Pink Faun USB Bridge V2!
(Even try external/device reclocker after it. example Ideon 3R Renaissance mk2 or any other)

Most importantly; Corsair AX1600i ATX power supply has been a really big upgrade for me since 3months ago!

Attachments

• 1691368762149.png
    1691368762149.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #1,320 of 1,491
@phoneslave86. Always, a self powered one. Or ifi Defender (not a power defender, not sure it is rated for 1500W), with external PSU.

However in this case I think a 'sinewave' APC UPS cause a problem. Even if a sinewave is generated acccurately (which I doubt), it is a high-frequency chopper that spread EMI. I suggest to remove it from a chain, together with all power 'improvements', it should be a difference. The audiophile grade power regenerators use low frequency for power conversion, but they are expensive.

If you have to use UPS rather use a pure off-line UPS (not a line interactive with some voltage regulation ability) that switches to the backup power only when AC power is gone or out of range. Grounding your PC is important, contact the user @OCC7N, he is using a similar 'monster' system and has recommendation for a low noise PC power supply.
Yea I have a self powered usb hub coming and I won't plug it in. That is some food for thought about the APC. I do have a anti emf/rf ac power filter coming that I can run off the APC or even use the plug right above it. It would be nice to have it all on the battery back up. We lose power alot and a ton of lighting strikes here. I will try both.

The Gustard U18 which is fully galvanized will isolate from the PC and reclock and with the power filter on a separate socket it all should be 100 percent isolated from the PC in theory. Gonna sound good

Now I just need to wrap all of my cords in tinfoil so I can use my cellphone in the same room lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back