Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #1,233 of 1,499
I use mutec mc3+usb AES to connect Pegasus, because I don't like usb interface very much, and I don't use USB for my other solution Dac.
And a real improvement because the USB input is far from bad ?
Then, of course, there will be a difference by changing the input circuit... but better or only different ?

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #1,235 of 1,499
good evening I would like to ask if anyone has tried has tested pegasus vs draco and how big is the difference between them?
Draco is very new and I don't know that there are a lot of them in the wild yet. I believe it's designed to go up against the Denafrips Ares II. I have compared the Musician to the Pontus II and can say that the Pegasus sounds more warm, and has a much wider soundstage, but the Pontus II is more crisp and life-like sounding. Given the price difference, I'd go Pegasus if you're looking to save money. Draco only if you're looking for the very bottom end.

FWIW, I'm about to list both of my Pegasuses (Pegasii?) for sale, as I just bought a Denafrips Venus II, and having 4 R2R DAC's is just silly....

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #1,236 of 1,499
Draco is very new and I don't know that there are a lot of them in the wild yet. I believe it's designed to go up against the Denafrips Ares II. I have compared the Musician to the Pontus II and can say that the Pegasus sounds more warm, and has a much wider soundstage, but the Pontus II is more crisp and life-like sounding. Given the price difference, I'd go Pegasus if you're looking to save money. Draco only if you're looking for the very bottom end.

FWIW, I'm about to list both of my Pegasuses (Pegasii?) for sale, as I just bought a Denafrips Venus II, and having 4 R2R DAC's is just silly....
Did you compare the Pegasus to the Pontus II in stock form or with Purpe Fuse in the Pegasus?

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,237 of 1,499
Did you compare the Pegasus to the Pontus II in stock form or with Purpe Fuse in the Pegasus?
With the Purple fuses. I can say that, while I was skeptical, the Purple fuses make a DRAMATIC difference in the Pegasus.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #1,238 of 1,499

Thanks for your answer It is very informative since I have no experience from r2r dacs .i have only heard the pontus ii
and i liked the timbre and tone but it is out of my budget.

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,239 of 1,499
With the Purple fuses. I can say that, while I was skeptical, the Purple fuses make a DRAMATIC difference in the Pegasus.
I agree with this. I was more than sceptical too, but thought I give it a go anyway. This purple fuse indeed enhances clarity in a significant way.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #1,241 of 1,499
5x20mm, 2A, slow blow

Mar 5, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,242 of 1,499
I have both of my Pegasus listed for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Both have the Synergistic Research Purple fuses installed, too...

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #1,243 of 1,499
Hello everyone, today I connected my PC to the Musician Pegasus via an SMSL PO100 Pro via I2S. I tried to configure the I2S connection correctly using the SMSL and Musician documentation. In the SMSL manual the following description can be found:

The Musicion Pegasus website has the following description:

To keep things as simple as possible, I set the SMSL PO 100 Pro to Mode 1 and only changed the settings on the Musician Pegasus. Beforehand I had compared the pinouts of the descriptions of the two manufacturers and was of the opinion that SMSL I2S mode 1 should fit to Pegasus I2S mode 5, but I could not confirm this in my test. You can see my test results in the following table:

So after my test, I had two mode settings on the Musician Pegasus that sounded correct to me. In order to select one of the two correct sounding modes here, I looked at the description of Musician and wanted to determine what the difference of the pin assignment between the mode 5, which I originally assumed to be correct, and the correct sounding modes 3 and 4. I found out that the + and - of the signals "Data" and "BCK" are swapped both when comparing mode 3 with mode 5 and when comparing mode 4 with mode 5. In my understanding this means that the I2S connection is correct if the pins + and - of the signals are swapped between the two devices (in my case Pegasus and PO100 Pro). The difference between mode 3 and mode 4 is, that in mode 4 also at the signal "LRCK" + and - are swapped compared to mode 5, in mode 3 not. Therefore I assume that mode 4 at the Musician Pegasus and mode 1 at the SMSL PO100 Pro establishes the correct I2S connection, I operate the combination for now with these settings.

I hope the explanation makes sense somehow and maybe can help someone with a similar need. If I make a mistake with this configuration, definitely let me know!

Best regards

Bojan
Hi Bojan,
Is there any improvement in sound changing from comp-usb-Pegasus to comp-PO100 pro-i2s-Pegasus?

Apr 1, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #1,244 of 1,499
New Pegasus owner here. Have any of you guys tied any hardware modding, like changing caps in power supplies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back