Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Jan 9, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #1,217 of 1,484
Why? Is the signal LRCK only used when DSD is used? How could I test a DSD transfer? Could I find some test DSD files and use them with a DSD player? To be hones I do not have any knowledge about DSD…
While PS Audio standard is widely accepted for PCM transfers, DSD has been added later, so more combinations. Attached is a typical pin assignment showing DSD lines as well, taken from Audio GD equipment. Yes, DATA becomes DSD Left channel and LRCK becomes DSD Right channel.

You can use your PCM samples for testing DSD with Foobar 2000 with SACD add-on. Inside a package there is DSD Processor installed separately, you need both. Then you can use DSD Processor to convert your samples to DSD64 real time.

Attachments

• HDMI1.jpg
    HDMI1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,220 of 1,484
Jan 12, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #1,221 of 1,484
Does it matter if I use a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 cable to the DAC?
Yes. I suggest to use 2.0 cable, so there is no interference from separate super-speed wires. Use USB 2.0 output ports if available or USB 2.0 hub. If a hub can be powered from the external power supply, it also brings a benefit of redirecting ground loops.

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #1,224 of 1,484
This does not prevent it from being connected to a computer or a streamer with a USB3-A socket (like Neo Stream.. for eg.)
True. But you can not use it with a real USB 3.0 cable because a USB 3.0 cable does not have a fitting plug for the Pegasus‘ socket. You can use a USB 2.0 cable and connect it to a USB 3.0 socket of a PC.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #1,226 of 1,484
The one thing I'll add is you should *NOT* connect both XLR *AND* RCA outputs at the same time. Causes the voltage to drop and can impact output performance.
Hi, I am considering to add a second amplifier with tubes to my setup, maybe the Bottlehead Mainline or the Eufonika H22M+KPCU. If I attach one of these tube amps to the RCA output of the Pegasus and I make sure that at any time only one of the amps is turned on, would this be OK? Or would I have to add some kind of switch box to physically disconnect one of the amps at any time? Is there any good solution for this?

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,227 of 1,484
If I attach one of these tube amps to the RCA output of the Pegasus and I make sure that at any time only one of the amps is turned on, would this be OK? Or would I have to add some kind of switch box to physically disconnect one of the amps at any time? Is there any good solution for this?
A1. Not
A2. Yes
A3. There are switch boxes, I don't need.

Jan 17, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #1,228 of 1,484
A1. Not
A2. Yes
A3. There are switch boxes, I don't need.
Correct.

I do not have any experience with switch boxes, but I'm sure others do. You want something that PHYSICALLY disconnects the circuit, not electronic switching...

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #1,230 of 1,484
I do not have any experience with switch boxes, but I'm sure others do. You want something that PHYSICALLY disconnects the circuit, not electronic switching...
Better boxes should be based on relays, then switching is done physically. Whether ground wire is disconnected as well can be tested with multimeter, important to cut ground loops from the unused device.
Would this also apply if using my EQ - Schiit Lokius. I have XLR input and both the XLR and RCA output running out of this device. Is this degrading sound quality?
I don't know Lokius, an active pre-amp with separate buffers should do. For the best result look for a discrete class A non-feedback design or tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back