Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Jan 2, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,186 of 1,502
So then I have a bold question: Assuming a fuse in the power cable can replace the fuses inside the Pegasus and the sound quality is then no longer dependent on the quality of the fuse in the cable. Wouldn't then one of the line filter (Supra LoRad MK III MD06 or Dynavox X4100B) with integrated fuse also be a valid replacement for the internal fuse?

Jan 6, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #1,187 of 1,502
Hello everyone, I now got my Musician Pegasus, I found it used very cheap. Now after everything I have read here I am not sure if I have a problem with its digital inputs:
  • When I connect it to my PC via optical cable, I have an audible crackle every now and then, maybe every 10 minutes, even if I set the setting to 96kHz. for example, and not 192kHz.
  • When I connect it to my PC via USB (just got it 5 minutes ago) and play the test sounds in the Windows settings, the first few tenths of a second of the test sounds don't seem to play. Even if I install the Pegasus drivers or lower the sampling rate, it doesn't change this. When I listen to music like this, however, no sounds are missing.
  • I don't really want to connect a DDC between the PC and Pegasus, because I also use it for gaming and don't want to add any latency. What do you think, a DDC creates significant latency?
I'm just unsure if I've bought myself problems here when connecting to a PC with the Pegasus that I wouldn't have with some cheap topping DAC and if I should send the Pegasus back. What do you think?

Best regards

Bojan

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #1,192 of 1,502
Re: DDC and gaming, you can always use TOSLINK fair game and USB with DDC for music. Just change the input.

Regarding the delay with test sound, the Windows test tone often has a delay because it will revitalize the driver before sending the sound. With music, your player does that when it launches, so it's already done when you start streaming. The only exception is if you use Tidal and switch from MQA-encoded tracks to standard tracks. You'll get the same delay as the transcoders kick in or out.

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #1,193 of 1,502
Regarding the delay with test sound, the Windows test tone often has a delay because it will revitalize the driver before sending the sound. With music, your player does that when it launches, so it's already done when you start streaming. The only exception is if you use Tidal and switch from MQA-encoded tracks to standard tracks. You'll get the same delay as the transcoders kick in or out.
Wow, thank you very much for this explanation!

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #1,196 of 1,502
Or should I really try out the Douk Audio U2 Pro?
Just some input, I recently tried this device and didn’t like it at all. It added a clear digital edge versus when just using direct USB connection. To be fair, I couldn’t install the drivers because they come on a disk, and I don’t have the disk reader. Drivers are unavailable online for the Douk U2.

Jan 6, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #1,198 of 1,502
I think no, that's the passive element. The "USB" sound is better in my setup on the regular ports. Just tried to use it fir expereince. Let's find what is the problem for now
Ya if toslink and usb are giving the same problems, it could be an issue with the DAC itself. Try different sources with the same connections to tease it out.

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #1,199 of 1,502
Ya if toslink and usb are giving the same problems, it could be an issue with the DAC itself.
By now I have not experienced the same problems with toslink and with USB. The crackles occure with toslink, with USB I have only experienced these delays when playing the Windows test sounds, no crackles so far. But I have had only a few minutes of listening to USB so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back