Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC
Jan 6, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #1,201 of 1,502
Cool, which DDC would be a good fit? I have read much about the Douk Audio U2 Pro and now I saw that SMSL has launched the new PO100 Pro??
I have the Denafrips Iris connected to my Denafrips Pontus II and it works great. Also removes any last issues with hum/ground noise from my PC. I don't have a DDC connected to either of my Pegasuses (Pegasii?).

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #1,202 of 1,502
Regarding the delay with test sound, the Windows test tone often has a delay because it will revitalize the driver before sending the sound.
I did also observe this. When it happen it might be a case that something goes wrong and Windows has to reset driver. It takes a fraction of second. In my case there was also longer delay between playing left channel test gong and the right channel. This is an indication that driver reset was required even after a short pause.

On my Douk Audio with S/PDIF to R2R-11 there is no delay. The same with direct USB connection (Amanero receiver). But I had one case where Amanero generated delay as described. It gone away after cleaning up Windows installation from pending system updates. Reinstalling drivers or using system drivers didn't help.

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #1,203 of 1,502
Hi together,

I have been reading recently that the Musician Pegasus can benefit by adding a preamplifyer as it has a pretty low output voltage. Now I am wondering if this also applies to my setup where I have it connected to the Topping A90 Discrete which has more than enough power to drive my Meze 109 Pro headphones. As I do not have much experience in HiFi topics I am not sure, but my simple first thought would be that I would not benefit from a preamplifyer because the A90d has more than enough headroom left.

Any opinions here? I mean if the Musician Pegasus needs a preamp and copmparable DACs do not need a preamp in my setup I would have to reconsider if the Pegasus is the right DAC for me or if I should choose a differend Dac.

Best regards

Bojan

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #1,204 of 1,502
Hi together,

I have been reading recently that the Musician Pegasus can benefit by adding a preamplifyer as it has a pretty low output voltage. Now I am wondering if this also applies to my setup where I have it connected to the Topping A90 Discrete which has more than enough power to drive my Meze 109 Pro headphones. As I do not have much experience in HiFi topics I am not sure, but my simple first thought would be that I would not benefit from a preamplifyer because the A90d has more than enough headroom left.

Any opinions here? I mean if the Musician Pegasus needs a preamp and copmparable DACs do not need a preamp in my setup I would have to reconsider if the Pegasus is the right DAC for me or if I should choose a differend Dac.

Best regards

Bojan
RCA out on the Pegasus outputs 2.2 Vrms, XLR out is 3.55 Vrms. I don't think that is particularly low. You don't need preamp for headphone listening. If you listen to speakers, your A90d could become preamp to a power amp. Basically if you are planning to listen to headphones from your A90d, you are good to go with the Pegasus. Most DACs output between 2-3 Vrms on RCA and 3-6 Vrms on XLR as average.

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,205 of 1,502
The one thing I'll add is you should *NOT* connect both XLR *AND* RCA outputs at the same time. Causes the voltage to drop and can impact output performance.

Jan 9, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #1,207 of 1,502
@ColSaulTigh: Have you compared how the Pegasus with purple fuse performs against the Pontus II?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #1,208 of 1,502
Hi together, I swapped my fuse for the purple fuse today, no listening tests yet. In this occasion I wanted to find out which version my Pegasus board is but I was not able to find any version label on my board. I can make the I2S settings via holding down the NOS button so I suppose it is not one of the first versions. Can anyone recognize the version with help of the attached picture?
E1B75179-503A-4649-AE3F-719AC7A8A0F6.jpeg

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #1,209 of 1,502
Looking to connect a streamer to the Pegasus, which interface is regarded the best?
And what streamer do you recommend? My only request is that it works as a Roon endpoint. And gives me better sound quality than the CCA (if possible?).

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #1,210 of 1,502
Hi together, I swapped my fuse for the purple fuse today, no listening tests yet. In this occasion I wanted to find out which version my Pegasus board is but I was not able to find any version label on my board. I can make the I2S settings via holding down the NOS button so I suppose it is not one of the first versions. Can anyone recognize the version with help of the attached picture?
E1B75179-503A-4649-AE3F-719AC7A8A0F6.jpeg
Versions after version 5 are no longer listed in the PCB. Also, are you 110v or 220v? I only see one fuse swapped but two fuses total...

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #1,212 of 1,502
Thank you! I live in Germany with 230V, so I assume I have only to swap the one fuse that I have swapped, right?
That's correct. Just checking.

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #1,214 of 1,502
Hello everyone, today I connected my PC to the Musician Pegasus via an SMSL PO100 Pro via I2S. I tried to configure the I2S connection correctly using the SMSL and Musician documentation. In the SMSL manual the following description can be found:
SMSL PO100Pro I2S.jpg

The Musicion Pegasus website has the following description:
Musician Pegasus I2S.jpg

To keep things as simple as possible, I set the SMSL PO 100 Pro to Mode 1 and only changed the settings on the Musician Pegasus. Beforehand I had compared the pinouts of the descriptions of the two manufacturers and was of the opinion that SMSL I2S mode 1 should fit to Pegasus I2S mode 5, but I could not confirm this in my test. You can see my test results in the following table:
I2S testing result.jpg

So after my test, I had two mode settings on the Musician Pegasus that sounded correct to me. In order to select one of the two correct sounding modes here, I looked at the description of Musician and wanted to determine what the difference of the pin assignment between the mode 5, which I originally assumed to be correct, and the correct sounding modes 3 and 4. I found out that the + and - of the signals "Data" and "BCK" are swapped both when comparing mode 3 with mode 5 and when comparing mode 4 with mode 5. In my understanding this means that the I2S connection is correct if the pins + and - of the signals are swapped between the two devices (in my case Pegasus and PO100 Pro). The difference between mode 3 and mode 4 is, that in mode 4 also at the signal "LRCK" + and - are swapped compared to mode 5, in mode 3 not. Therefore I assume that mode 4 at the Musician Pegasus and mode 1 at the SMSL PO100 Pro establishes the correct I2S connection, I operate the combination for now with these settings.

I hope the explanation makes sense somehow and maybe can help someone with a similar need. If I make a mistake with this configuration, definitely let me know!

Best regards

Bojan

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,215 of 1,502
Beforehand I had compared the pinouts of the descriptions of the two manufacturers and was of the opinion that SMSL I2S mode 1 should fit to Pegasus I2S mode 5, but I could not confirm this in my test. You can see my test results in the following table:
You are right, mode 5. Description is wrong, which one, only comparison with other devices would tell. I bet, on Pegasus, as SMSL mode 1 is a typical PS Audio compatible output.

Whether mode 3 or mode 4 is correct, difficult to say in this situation, we would know when testing DSD transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back