Musical all-rounder: AT W1000X or JVC DX700?
Jul 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #16 of 27
HD 650 is certainly not what the OP is asking for in my opinion. DX 1000 do pretty much MOAR of what the OP is asking for though it´s as picky as the HD 650 regarding system setup. 

All this the DX 1000 do better "timbre -  saturated rich tone with density and fullness - weight and warmth; harmonic richness; impact and dynamics. Good bass and mids and non-irritating highs. Details are nice too, but more important is to keep the music alive and flowing.

Listening effect I am after: relaxing/smoothing or exciting/dynamic when music calls for it. Non-fatiguing. More emotional than analytical."

mids you can argue a bit about coloured yada yada but the big picture the DX 1000 do better. Much closer to what I experienced with classical in real life when putting all the pieces together :)

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #17 of 27

Quote:
Bee4:

Have you looked into the AD2000s? They sound to me like exactly what you want-a warmer, more musical sounding K702 with much better timbre. They often considered the next jump up from the AKGs-and I completely concur. They are the one headphone I finally found that allowed me to sell the K702s, as I felt the AD2000s retained all of it's strengths-and improved it in many ways. Classical, however, would probably be suited more for the AKGs. The AT's are definitely the more musical, and a great all-rounder to boot! My understanding is that they are very similar to the RS1 as well, which you seem interested in. My .02

-Daniel

Quote:
And not one mention of the Sennheiser HD-650?

That is precisely the headphone you want. Read the reviews and don't get hung up on spending a few hundred less than the others. The HD-650 used to be considered one of the finest before the super-expensive headphones rolled out.

If you want additional ease and warmth, run it off an OTL tube amp. Something like a Bottlehead Crack would be an excellent fit.

It seems to me that the OP is trying to decide on a closed headphone, so the HD650 and AD2000 are out of contention.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #18 of 27
Well he didn't specify other than giving a couple of closed options I guess. Upon re-reading his post, it almost seems as if he is looking for a polar opposite to the K702. So maybe Uncle Erik is right...the HD 650 would be a good starting point. I guess I just assumed he was happy with his K702 and looking for a similar upgrade, even though the sonic traits he is searching for definitely sound closer to the Senn than the AKG.

-Daniel

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #19 of 27
[size=10pt]Guys,[/size]

[size=10pt]t[/size][size=10pt]hanks[/size][size=10pt] for your response[/size][size=10pt]s. [/size][size=10pt]I had to process it all a little bit.[/size]

Quote:
Bee4:

Have you looked into the AD2000s? They sound to me like exactly what you want-a warmer, more musical sounding K702 with much better timbre. They often considered the next jump up from the AKGs-and I completely concur. They are the one headphone I finally found that allowed me to sell the K702s, as I felt the AD2000s retained all of it's strengths-and improved it in many ways. Classical, however, would probably be suited more for the AKGs. The AT's are definitely the more musical, and a great all-rounder to boot! My understanding is that they are very similar to the RS1 as well, which you seem interested in. My .02

-Daniel

[size=10pt]I was thinking about AD2000 too, but ability to play classical is important for me too, so I eliminated them from my shortlist.[/size]

Quote:
If you wanna bang for the buck, go for the w1000x, they really excel at vocal, or you can wait around till their new product come out about end of this year, and for DX1000? just go for LCD-2 once you upgrade ur amp a bit lol, you can save the money for now with the w1000x and get your self a lyr or something 

Wait...is there going to be new AT? Similar to W1000X? When?

I like my amp - it is very transparent and detailed and neutral, I just wanna roll HPs a bit, that`s all for now. I wanted lower impedance HP just because it is more flexible and because I will buy transformer coupled tube amp one day I believe. It is my fixation, what can I do...But solid state has its well known advantages too, so...

Quote:
And not one mention of the Sennheiser HD-650?

That is precisely the headphone you want. Read the reviews and don't get hung up on spending a few hundred less than the others. The HD-650 used to be considered one of the finest before the super-expensive headphones rolled out.

If you want additional ease and warmth, run it off an OTL tube amp. Something like a Bottlehead Crack would be an excellent fit.

[size=10pt]I had an opportunity to hear HD600 +  Little Dot IV + USB Monica NOS DAC. Not bad at all. Non-offensive sound and fuller a bit than K701. Not that different though. Certainly more concentration and impact and palpability. Sometimes I have to catch the sounds broken to pieces flying all over that wide space which K701 creates. It can be frustrating. Sometimes it is great though. Right now for example I am listening to [/size]Ligeti and it really is quite intense...

HD600 sounded very nice with my amp too. It has advantage of zero self-noise - Blue Circle make killer power supplies. I believe HD650 would  go even further in the right direction (for me, now). I am actually looking at 1 good deal right now, so probably I will just buy HD650 for now (maybe I will be hooked permanently and the Dark Side will prevail completely, dunno).

I will keep an eye on development in Audio Technica land too. Wood is still attractive to me, because I believe it is good for timbre. I like properly resonant sound. I still believe DX1000 would be the best alternative to K701, but it is too much.

Quote:
I use the W1000x off a solid state amp, the Audio-GD NFB-12, which has quite a warm sound with rolled off highs. I prefer it to the Fiio E9 which is more neutral, but the difference is not huge (it's not a picky headphone). I have not heard it off a tube amp.

It does acoustic and jazz very well, but is a very revealing headphone (I actually modded mine to reduce the resonance and decay for rock and it became even more revealing!). I can't make any comparisons to the JVCs as I have never heard one.

Another good point for W1000X. But I would probably like its resonance and decay. I like it when sound is a little bit out of control, it feels more alive...
But it depends on the genre I guess...

1 question for oqvist:

Which amp did you like more with W1000X when you had it for audition: GHP or Head One?

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 27
Both headphones work well on both these amps. A bit more biased for the tube with the W1000x. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #21 of 27

Next year is Audio-Technica's 50th anniversary... There is going to be some amazing limited edition can, be assured of that. It likely won't replace the W1000x since the W1000x is the most recent A-T woodie, and the limited edition will likely be extremely expensive. Like, L3000 expensive. There will be other launches too - the AD2000 is up for replacement and there might be some mid-range stuff too. Audio-Technica does not take anniversaries lightly!

Quote:
Wait...is there going to be new AT? Similar to W1000X? When?

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #22 of 27
HD650.
Better than DX1000 in every way and MUCH cheaper. Better all-rounder than the ATs. Most of the older models were piled with newer ones. "Older" doesn't mean "worse"!
Try HD650.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #23 of 27
In your opinion, of course. I tried the HD650 twice and sold it off quickly both times. I like my HD600 better than the HD650, but greatly prefer the AD2000 to both.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #25 of 27
I'm curious to know what the OP went with and if he changed already HPs :D

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #26 of 27
Telstar,

I went with Kenwood KH-K1000. Happy with them. Sound I was after and relatively easy to drive. 
It was impossible for me to try AT and JVC, so I went with cheaper and less controversial alternative. Also less known, unfortunately.

Of course, I still would like to hear woodies, but when I play the music through K1000 I am not missing anything substantial.

Jun 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #27 of 27
Oh, it'a a great choice. I'd like to listen to it too :)
I'll audition the jvc dx1000 soon, and if i dont fall in love, I'm pretty sure my direction is the TH900, for which I need start saving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back