Music range: Modern Rock - Extreme Metal music headphones
Oct 5, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #31 of 63

Quote:
But it will be better to mention rather some more widely-used ones as I don't want to buy it on the internet... So not something like "order online from the USA and wait for a year to be done with precisement" if you understand what I mean.

There are many wonderful dealers/amp manufacturers who will reliably ship to you.  The number of amps available other than on the internet is limited.

It may help if you let people know where you are and your concerns.

Oct 5, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #32 of 63

Quote:
There are many wonderful dealers/amp manufacturers who will reliably ship to you.  The number of amps available other than on the internet is limited.

It may help if you let people know where you are and your concerns.

Until Christmas, I am studying in Ireland. But I come from the Czech Republic...

I am not worried about shipping... But I don't want to spend months waiting, calling and hoping that in a case of any damage the reclamation will be successfully carried out :-/

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #33 of 63

Quote:
So can you mention any? I don't have much knowledge about :-/

Schiit Asgard, HeadAmp GS-1, Meier Concerto, SPL Auditor or Phonitor, Fiio E9, NuForce Icon HDP, HeadRoom Micro / Desktop / Ultra Desktop -- lots of options, really.  However, if you're not willing to purchase the amp online, then you probably will reduce your options significantly.

Personally, for the D7000, I don't think you have to spend a lot to get an amp that will make them sound great.  The Asgard really is a great low-cost option for Denon headphones.  You would have to buy it online, and it would ship from the USA, but knowing Schiit it should ship within a day or two of your purchase, and I can't imagine it taking more than 2 weeks to get wherever it's going in the world.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #34 of 63

Quote:

Well, finally I decided... I will buy these D7000.

Now, can anyone help me to find a suitable amplifier to get some more from them? I saw several topics about it but some of them are quite old etc.

Sorry about off-topic, I can create a new one if it is a big problem...

Thanks everyone, please feel free to state your opinions! :)

Violectric V100 ~ Once you've heard it, not much can touch it for under $700USD.
Yes, I know of people who have gladly sold their SPL Auditor for one.

~ Made by a group called 'Lake People' who specialize in German radio & TV broadcast, these are designed
to work in a professional environment.

~ Built like a fine tank, most other amps feel cheap in comparison.

~ Individual left and right channel gain settings so that you can refine the settings to suit just about any headphone in your collection.

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #35 of 63

Quote:
Violectric V100 ~ Once you've heard it, not much can touch it for under $700USD.
Yes, I know of people who have gladly sold their SPL Auditor for one.

~ Made by a group called 'Lake People' who specialize in German radio & TV broadcast, these are designed
to work in a professional environment.

~ Built like a fine tank, most other amps feel cheap in comparison.

~ Individual left and right channel gain settings so that you can refine the settings to suit just about any headphone in your collection.

~ Being German made, you're practically next door. Should not have a problem getting one at a great price.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #36 of 63

Quote:

Schiit Asgard, HeadAmp GS-1, Meier Concerto, SPL Auditor or Phonitor, Fiio E9, NuForce Icon HDP, HeadRoom Micro / Desktop / Ultra Desktop -- lots of options, really.  However, if you're not willing to purchase the amp online, then you probably will reduce your options significantly.

Personally, for the D7000, I don't think you have to spend a lot to get an amp that will make them sound great.  The Asgard really is a great low-cost option for Denon headphones.  You would have to buy it online, and it would ship from the USA, but knowing Schiit it should ship within a day or two of your purchase, and I can't imagine it taking more than 2 weeks to get wherever it's going in the world.

I've found these three of them available in the Czech Republic:

nuforce Icon HD
SPL Auditor 2910 (Phonitor as well but it costs too much)
FiiO E9

Can you tell me something more about them?

Or - if you have time - can you look here: http://headphones.cz/inshop/sluchatkove-zesilovace-strana-4/
 - site in czech language but this is a link to get straightly to amplifier section so it's easy to go through... Are there any other good options to think about?

Well, I know that my knowledge is REALLY poor but I just don't have time and people to talk about =/ And also not able to try them myself...

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!! :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #37 of 63

Quote:

I rather buy something available in the Czech Republic... Could you, if you have time, look at the link I posted above and mention some good amplifiers from the site?

Or just comment the 3 available I mentioned...

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME! You helped me a lot with the headphones :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #38 of 63

Quote:
I've found these three of them available in the Czech Republic:

nuforce Icon HD
SPL Auditor 2910 (Phonitor as well but it costs too much)
FiiO E9

Can you tell me something more about them?

Generally speaking, the rule of thumb to follow is that for a given headphone, a headphone amp with an output impedance of roughly 1/8 (or less, I believe) of the headphone's impedance will provide the best match.  So for your 25 ohm D7000, it would be best if the headphone amp you chose had an output impedance of roughly 3 ohms or less.

I believe the NuForce Icon, as well as the FiiO E9, have an output impedance of 10 ohms.  The SPL Auditor has an output impedance of 9 ohms.  While any of these amps would probably be just fine with the D7000, if one is to believe the science, an amp with a lower output impedance would be preferable.

For example, I think I read somewhere that the Schiit Asgard has an output impedance of 2 ohms.  The HeadAmp GS-1 has an output impedance of less than 1 ohm.  These would probably both be better matches for the D7000, at least in theory anyway.

Bottom line:  any of the three amps you mentioned would probably be just fine with the D7000.  If you're going to restrict your purchase to items you can buy in a shop (i.e. not online), then any of those three would be good.  I haven't personally heard any of them, but I have read very good things about the SPL amps.

Another one maybe worth considering, though I know very little about it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/514107/review-casea-lyra-mk-ii-digital-solid-state-headphone-amp-dac

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #39 of 63

Quote:

Generally speaking, the rule of thumb to follow is that for a given headphone, a headphone amp with an output impedance of roughly 1/8 (or less, I believe) of the headphone's impedance will provide the best match.  So for your 25 ohm D7000, it would be best if the headphone amp you chose had an output impedance of roughly 3 ohms or less.

I believe the NuForce Icon, as well as the FiiO E9, have an output impedance of 10 ohms.  The SPL Auditor has an output impedance of 9 ohms.  While any of these amps would probably be just fine with the D7000, if one is to believe the science, an amp with a lower output impedance would be preferable.

For example, I think I read somewhere that the Schiit Asgard has an output impedance of 2 ohms.  The HeadAmp GS-1 has an output impedance of less than 1 ohm.  These would probably both be better matches for the D7000, at least in theory anyway.

Bottom line:  any of the three amps you mentioned would probably be just fine with the D7000.  If you're going to restrict your purchase to items you can buy in a shop (i.e. not online), then any of those three would be good.  I haven't personally heard any of them, but I have read very good things about the SPL amps.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/514107/review-casea-lyra-mk-ii-digital-solid-state-headphone-amp-dac

Well, that Shiit Asgard amp is REALLY cheap... If it is a really good one, that 249 dollars worths ordering it online!

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1

Do you think this is a really good option for D7000? Isn't it too cheap?

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #40 of 63

Quote:

And what about this one? Bitfrost

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

To clarify things, my plans are to buy Denon AH D7000 headphones and some good amplifier to play my lossless files stored on the PC with Auzen x-plosion 7.1 dts connect soundcard (but I certainly can buy some more expensive card if this is not good enough for some reason...).

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #41 of 63

Quote:

And what about this one? Bitfrost 
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

To clarify things, my plans are to buy Denon AH D7000 headphones and some good amplifier to play my lossless files stored on the PC with Auzen x-plosion 7.1 dts connect soundcard (but I certainly can buy some more expensive card if this is not good enough for some reason...).

Don't worry about the sound card for the time being - the Auzentech product is very good -
I had an Auzentech Bravura 7.1 for a very long time and I found it to be a competent sound card.
The only drawback was hooking it up to the headphone amplifier via RCA. The only way I could do it at the time
was to use a 1/4 Y-splitter into the sound card headphone out (1/4) and then onto to left and right RCA into the
headphone amp. I am not sure if your soundcard will give you the same problem. 1mm thick prong
RCA does not fit into the back of the soundcard.

Sophonax is right, any of those amplifiers will do the job. I'd try the Schiit Asgard -
only thing (depending on your taste) is that it will 'brighten' up the sound of the D7000 for sure.
Having owned an Auzentech sound card and listened to an Asgard briefly, both will make for a
combo' on the brighter side of sound. Hopefully this is a good thing for you.

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #42 of 63

Quote:
Don't worry about the sound card for the time being - the Auzentech product is very good -
I had an Auzentech Bravura 7.1 for a very long time and I found it to be a competent sound card.
The only drawback was hooking it up to the headphone amplifier via RCA. The only way I could do it at the time
was to use a 1/4 Y-splitter into the sound card headphone out (1/4) and then onto to left and right RCA into the
headphone amp. I am not sure if your soundcard will give you the same problem. 1mm thick prong

Sophonax is right, any of those amplifiers will do the job. I'd try the Schiit Asgard -
only thing (depending on your taste) is that it will 'brighten' up the sound of the D7000 for sure.
Having owned an Auzentech sound card and listened to an Asgard briefly, both will make for a

This is a detail on the back side of the card with all slots...

http://www.4frags.com/catalog/images/fotos/auzdetail.jpg

Can you identify anything according to the topic of connecting the card to an amplifier? Well, quite practical explanation to a newbie will be useful if it doesn't bother you too much =/

Thanks VERY very much :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #43 of 63
+1 on LCD-2.

The HD800 won't give it to you, the T1 will sound sterile and flat (but in a boring way), and the grados will stab your ears to death with bright tinny treble and non-sufficient bass.

I also agree on the W1000s/2000s being good choices, but if you want the best first and avoid all the frustration and money spent getting there, get the LCD-2. 

You need an amp to properly drive them. Get a tube amp. They color the midrange nicely which is great for death metal/metal, since metal has a lot of mids. 

Think about the Little Dot Mk3, great value, great sound, and will give you enough power to give them some justice. 

If you think you are ready to upgrade somehow from that, look into better higher end amps. 

But i think the LCD-2 with an amp will flatten you. METALHEADS need this headphone.

You will not be disappointed. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #44 of 63

Quote:

Can you identify anything according to the topic of connecting the card to an amplifier? Well, quite practical explanation to a newbie will be useful if it doesn't bother you too much =/

And as you have experience with an Auzentech soundcard - which kinds of amps would you recommend ? If you have some REALLY good tips I could change my plans and try to buy it on the internet (but the headphones will rather buy from a local store even if it means some additional money to spend on it...).

About the "brightness" of the sound - not sure really... As I really like bands like Coldplay and In flames/Kalmah (just for you to realise) equally, it is quite complicated... But rather deeper or more rough sound if I have to decide :)

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #45 of 63

Quote:

And as you have experience with an Auzentech soundcard - which kinds of amps would you recommend ? If you have some REALLY good tips I could change my plans and try to buy it on the internet (but the headphones will rather buy from a local store even if it means some additional money to spend on it...).

About the "brightness" of the sound - not sure really... As I really like bands like Coldplay and In flames/Kalmah (just for you to realise) equally, it is quite complicated... But rather deeper or more rough sound if I have to decide :)

What you need is a - Mini to RCA cable - plug the mini side into the 'front output' of the Auzentech sound card and run the white / red to the connections on the back
of the headphone amplifier.

As for amps, If I was you then I would get the entry level Violectric V90. Output impedance is very low and it will give
the Denon D7000 all the current that it needs to sound it's best. Not too expensive either and just next door from
Germany. But do not stress too much about the amplifier. Even the Fiio E9 is a very good start for little money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back