Music range: Modern Rock - Extreme Metal music headphones
Oct 3, 2011 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

MHOE

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've read through several topics related to "the clash" of these three headphones: Beyerdynamic T1, Denon AH-D7000, Sennheiser HD 800 but still not sure about...

Can anyone advise me which to choose for listening to a quite wide musical range from modern rock music to extreme metal genres (also mainly 2000 - )? And which of them are quite good to use without amp? Well, I am not going to listen to genres like jazz, classical, acoustic or something like that, I am really oriented on electric guitar sound in a modern way, especially where the sound has a lot of "drive"...

Some bands to mention:

Rock - 30 seconds to mars, The rasmus, Coldplay, Disturbed, 12 stones and MANY more...

Metal - melodic death, doom, gothic, some deppresive black and this kind of stuff

Thanks everyone for any idea! :)

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 63
What type of sound do you like? 

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 63
The Denon D7000 would be a much better choice than the other two when it comes to modern rock. It has more bass kick and overall more liveliness than the other two. Unless you're listening to mostly warm classical, the other two headphones won't be that much better than the Denon.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 63
Well, as I have no experiences with a really good headphones, I can't image what to expect exactly... But I should really appreciate if the sound will be "universal" or how to say it - not too bassy and not to technical... Rather natural and universal to feel comfortable everytime I listen to it.

Thank you very much for responding! :)

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 63
So Denon could be the best for rock... and also for metal I mentioned above?

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 63

Quote:
The Denon D7000 would be a much better choice than the other two when it comes to modern rock. It has more bass kick and overall more liveliness than the other two. Unless you're listening to mostly warm classical, the other two headphones won't be that much better than the Denon.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #7 of 63
Well all three headphones could suit you for those genres depending on what type of sound you like. The T1s are extremely good all rounders and don't do much wrong, while the D7000s have exceptional bass quantity but a recessed midrange. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #8 of 63

When I mean modern rock, I also mean that super mid scooped metal. The other two headphones accentuates the treble. The way modern rock is, I can't imagine how it can sound that good with that much treble. I abhorred the T1 with rock. My experience with the HD800 was limited to Korean pop variety (I was in Korea at the time of the audition) so I don't think my opinion of it is fair for metal. I would probably add the Audio Technica W1000X to the mix for rock. Out of high-end choices, I would probably choose either the Denon or the Audio Technica for metal.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 63

Quote:
Well all three headphones could suit you for those genres depending on what type of sound you like. The T1s are extremely good all rounders and don't do much wrong, while the D7000s have exceptional bass quantity but a recessed midrange. 

Well, I quite like what I've read about T1s... But still not 100% sure. :-/

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 63
You might want to split your choice into two headphones. Consider a Grado/Alessandro for your metal tendencies
- they reproduce electric guitar like few other headphones. Search around Head-Fi threads and you'll see that
this is consensus pretty much. They do excel with jazz too, giving you that sort of intimate presentation.

Grado 325i or RS1i ~ Alessandro MS2i or MS-Pro

Small sound-stage, comfort and harshness from bad recordings will be the criticisms of the Grado/
Alessandros. 

Most important lesson to learn very early on is that no headphone, regardless of price will do
it all unless you're prepared to settle for a very neutral sound like the T1. Many will say it
lacks involvement for many energetic performances.

My pick? Denon D7000 + one of those Grado/Alessandros and you're set.
All the midrange you could want from the Grado/Alessandro and the Denon
will fill out any material that requires excellent quality and quantity bass.

The T1 and HD 800 will only reveal their true calling with an excellent source and
a predisposition for excellent classical, orchestral recordings where detail and
soundstage are paramount. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 63
Well, thank you for a very complex answer :) So do you think it's better to buy D7000 instead of T1? I do not have that much money to buy two quality headphones :-/ have to choose one and then try to get some money for suitable amp...

I am still hesitating between these two...

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 63
Pick the Denon only if your main priority is bass quantity. IMO the T1 bests it easily in every aspect besides that.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #13 of 63
Second on the Grados 325i.

A. They sound great for their price range which is half as wallet smashing as the other choices.
B. Beyer T1 and Senn HD800 will not only be ridiculously expensive (You don't buy the HD800 without at least dropping another MRSP's worth on amping them) but also will not be optimal for metal due to the HD800's lack of bass impact.

I can't comment on the Denons though.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 63
Haha, for now I am totally confused :)

It looks like D7000 have nice bass reproduction (and good for modern rock, maybe modern metal as well), T1 are very universal (what some consider great, some completely unuseful) and there are several opinions about great performace of Grados 325i.

Again, thank you everyone for your opinions, PLEASE ADD SOME MORE to give me a better chance of doing a good conclusion! :)

What I want is some headphones which will be universal enough (but mainly for modern rock and metal music), not very technical or bassy in sound (just natural to feel comfortable with them everytime, not necessary to be a "total hardcore experience with some kind of genre") and will sound at least quite good without amp.

Looks like T1 are quite close...

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 63
i vote for T1 , and i disagree with people who say : metal music needs a lot of bass impact , well peraphs it's right with some deathmetal bands who only use the first cord of their guitares but listening my self a lot of metal (black/death/symphonic etc etc etc)  i will not focus on bass impact , above all for me medium are the key ... folowing with highs and bass at last .

Black Metal : a metalic cold sound sharp like razors blades ... don't need many bass impact at all ... Denon are great headphone but i don't like them too much , i am not a basshead at all soo ...

Personnaly i use K702 for Metal (but i listen a lot of classical stuff too) , many will don't like K702 but for me it's a decent headphone for metal ... 

T1 si the right choice . Every thing is right with them , or at least very good . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back