Music range: Modern Rock - Extreme Metal music headphones
Oct 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #16 of 63
Grado 325 or lcd2

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #17 of 63

Quote:
Grado 325 or lcd2

How is it possible that Grado Prestige SR 325i is at the same level as D7000 or T1 but twice cheaper?

If that Grado headphones are really comparable to the others, I will definitely buy them and some nice amp too! :)

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #18 of 63
How is it possible that Grado Prestige SR 325i is at the same level as D7000 or T1 but twice cheaper?

If that Grado headphones are really comparable to the others, I will definitely buy them and some nice amp too! :)

It's not in the same level, but some people like their headphones to sound really loud with rock. The way the SR325i emphasizes treble and upper mids makes them very loud.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #19 of 63
Well, sounds logical...

Looks like the T1s should be the ones...

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 63

Quote:
Well, sounds logical...

Looks like the T1s should be the ones...

Buying any headphone, yet alone a flagship without hearing them first is fraught with
risk. If you're set on the T1, it is a very good headphone but without an amp you might
find yourself feeling very disappointed.

I'm not talking about a cheap amp either, there is a reason why owners like Leng Jai
and others have a Burson 160 or other comparable amplifier - it's a must with these
headphones.

You also mentioned that you wanted an 'energetic' rock and metal performance,
unamped the T1's will not give you this.

Feel free to go ahead without hearing them first but if you cannot return them
then this may prove to be a costly mistake.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 63
Well, it is not possible for me to hear them... And i don't undestand you very well - why all these people are trying to help me and this forum itself exist? If it's so easy and everyone can just walk out of his/her house and try everything himself/herself...

And I can hardly believe that headphones which cost so much money and are appreciated by many people (also by some on this topic) could be disappointing...

I am planning to buy an amplifier... but not sure if immediately with the headphones or some weeks/months later.

I am still confused... not sure if D7000 / T1... you definitely think that D7000, some other people recommend T1 for its universality. And I know that the answer is not certain and just depends... :)

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 63

Quote:
Well, it is not possible for me to hear them... And i don't undestand you very well - why all these people are trying to help me and this forum itself exist? If it's so easy and everyone can just walk out of his/her house and try everything himself/herself...

And I can hardly believe that headphones which cost so much money and are appreciated by many people (also by some on this topic) could be disappointing...

I am planning to buy an amplifier... but not sure if immediately with the headphones or some weeks/months later.

I am still confused... not sure if D7000 / T1... you definitely think that D7000, some other people recommend T1 for its universality. And I know that the answer is not certain and just depends... :)

As I said, there is only one confusing aspect about your post.

You say you want a 'universal headphone' but you also mention that you want 'drive' and energy with your rock and metal material.

This does not appear to be the strong point of the HD800 and T1. I've heard them and it parallels what many say on Head-Fi, they
are very transparent and neutral sounding. Engaging? Not to my ears but they lend themselves to just about everything.

If money is tight then I'd just get a Grado 225i and a Denon D2000 - they will give you what you are after, excellent guitar
reproduction, sizzling metal sound and big quality bass from the Denon. All for about $600. Any basic amp will do but
the best part is that neither headphone really needs it to perform, unlike the HD800 and T1.

A few have mentioned the LCD-2. I'd agree, if you want just the 'one' headphone, these will rock out over the T1 and
HD800. I still prefer the Grado house sound for rock/metal but they are very good nonetheless with a warmish
sound, not too harsh even with poor recordings.

All the best,

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #23 of 63
I have a very similar music preference.

For open headphones, bone stock Grado 225i's... don't get all crazy and mod them because it takes the "fun" from this type of music

For more private listening, Westone 3's are my "go to" IEM... although I do have to use a little EQ to reduce the overbearing midbass to my ears.

Neither need an amp, but do benefit from even a cheap one.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #24 of 63
From your original options of D7000, T1, and HD800, the D7000 is the clear pick without an amplifier.  The HD800 pretty much needs an amp, and the T1 ABSOLUTELY needs an amp.

If you're trying to determine which of the three is best for rock / metal when used with proper amplification, I'd throw the HD800 out of the running.  The HD800 does some things incredibly well, but rock and especially metal really aren't its strong points.  For me, it's a toss-up between the D7000 and the T1 for those genres.  The D7000 is warm and musical, whereas the T1 is more neutral and faster / sharper.

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Alessandro MS-2 as well.  These were fantastic with rock and metal, and sounded great without an amp.  I haven't had a chance to demo the Grado SR325i, but the opinion seems to be that the MS-2 is a little bit better balanced, and with a bit less treble energy than the SR325i, which is often described as fatiguing.  Oddly enough, I actually preferred the MS-2 to the much more expensive MS-Pro as well.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #25 of 63

Quote:
From your original options of D7000, T1, and HD800, the D7000 is the clear pick without an amplifier.  The HD800 pretty much needs an amp, and the T1 ABSOLUTELY needs an amp.

If you're trying to determine which of the three is best for rock / metal when used with proper amplification, I'd throw the HD800 out of the running.  The HD800 does some things incredibly well, but rock and especially metal really aren't its strong points.  For me, it's a toss-up between the D7000 and the T1 for those genres.  The D7000 is warm and musical, whereas the T1 is more neutral and faster / sharper.

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Alessandro MS-2 as well.  These were fantastic with rock and metal, and sounded great without an amp.  I haven't had a chance to demo the Grado SR325i, but the opinion seems to be that the MS-2 is a little bit better balanced, and with a bit less treble energy than the SR325i, which is often described as fatiguing.  Oddly enough, I actually preferred the MS-2 to the much more expensive MS-Pro as well.

Well, finally I decided... I will buy these D7000.

Now, can anyone help me to find a suitable amplifier to get some more from them? I saw several topics about it but some of them are quite old etc.

Sorry about off-topic, I can create a new one if it is a big problem...

Thanks everyone, please feel free to state your opinions! :)

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #26 of 63

Quote:

Well, finally I decided... I will buy these D7000.

Now, can anyone help me to find a suitable amplifier

Hey Mhoe,

Define 'suitable amplifier' in terms of your budget. Like many things in head-fi, this will determine suitability and also how much you
can choose from.

$100? $200? $300+?

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #27 of 63

Quote:
Now, can anyone help me to find a suitable amplifier to get some more from them? I saw several topics about it but some of them are quite old etc.

The Schiit Asgard performs very well with Denon headphones and only costs $250.

Really, I'm sure that any low-noise, low-distortion solid state headphone amp with a low output impedance would work great with the D7000.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #28 of 63
Well, $300+ for sure...

But it will be better to mention rather some more widely-used ones as I don't want to buy it on the internet... So not something like "order online from the USA and wait for a year to be done with precisement" if you understand what I mean.

Thanks very much for any advice :)

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #29 of 63

Quote:

The Schiit Asgard performs very well with Denon headphones and only costs $250.

Really, I'm sure that any low-noise, low-distortion solid state headphone amp with a low output impedance would work great with the D7000.

So can you mention any? I don't have much knowledge about :-/

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #30 of 63

Quote:
Hey Mhoe,

Define 'suitable amplifier' in terms of your budget. Like many things in head-fi, this will determine suitability and also how much you
can choose from.

$100? $200? $300+?

Well, $300+ for sure...

But it will be better to mention rather some more widely-used ones as I don't want to buy it on the internet... So not something like "order online from the USA and wait for a year to be done with precisement" if you understand what I mean.

Thanks very much for any advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back